TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 17 2014, 09:40 PM   #196
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: The X-Files - First Time Watching

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
"Paper Hearts" is one of my favorites.

I personally love the mythology episodes, but I find they are most enjoyable when watched in a marathon without all the filler episodes in between. I've watched X-Files several times through, and once I watched nothing but mythology episodes. I was surprised at how much sense it all made when I watched it that way. I think hindsight helps a lot, too. It's easier to put the pieces together on a second viewing.
I want to do this on my next rewatch.
Old June 19 2014, 10:37 PM   #197
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Season 5 has gotten off to an interesting start, probably better so far than Season 4. Going into it, I actually found a lot of Season 4 to be average but decent, so I was hoping S5 can maybe pick up the pace a little or at least have more interesting episodes.

Redux got that off to a pretty good start. This kind of felt like a transition from what we've seen so far to what is to come. Yeah I know the black goo plot is coming back (Because I've seen the movie but plan to see it again) but this episode kind of felt like a f(irst half of the) series finale. Mulder is starting to be convinced that all this he was after is indeed a hoax, and Scully's Cancer has gone into Remission. It was pretty good for a conspiracy thriller.

Detour was just ok for me. The MOTW was decent, but it was the sense of feeling alone that I really liked. We got some moments kind of like that episode in Season 3 where Mulder and Scully were trapped on a rock and it's those personal moments between the two of them that I gravitate too the most.

Unusual Suspects is probably my favorite of the ones I've seen so far. We got to see the birth of the Lone Gunman, in a very X-Files-ish way, and I appreciated the return of X.

The Post-Modern Promethus is the episode I wanted to comment on the most, however. This episode was strange. I know it was a take on Frankenstein, but I was wondering the reasons why it was filmed entirely in black and white. Was it really to just get the feel of the time, or was there something more to it? The use of Cher was as good, if not better than the use of Johnny Mathis in last season's Home, and it was weird to see one of the supporting characters from Seinfeld and a former host of Family Feud in an episode of The X Files.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 07:45 AM   #198
FelizNavidad
Admiral

Bad Blood

Yeah I'm still watchign X-Files, and I'm still really enjoying this series, but I wanted to, 1)Bring this thread back up to show I still am watching, and 2) Talk about this episode from a comedy perpsective.

I've criticized X-Files for not doing comedy really well, and there was someone upthread who said keep watching, there is better comedy later in the series. I wonder if this was the episode he talked about because this one was great. Loved the satire of both characters and the subtle humor this episode showed. Also, the Vampires were creepy, in a fun kind of way.

I'd say so far I'm enjoying season 5 more than season 4. There are more standalone shows here and I keep thinking about this season from the point of view of there is a movie coming. So far my 5 favorite episodes are:

Christmas Carol (Didn't really care for Part two very much)
Usual Suspects
Bad Blood
Kill Switch
The Post Modern Prometheus

sjsharksfan39
Old July 15 2014, 08:11 AM   #199
RoJoHen
Awesome

Christmas Carol is one of my all time favorites, if only for the flashback scene with Dana and Melissa.
Old July 15 2014, 09:47 AM   #200
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

I think it might not have been mentioned here yet, Kumail Nanjiani is doing a re-watch podcast called the X-Files Files that's turning out to be really popular - he even got Mark Snow as a guest (episode has not been aired yet), and he started the podcast only weeks ago.

Very well worth listeining to, even if you're not watching along with the show.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 04:59 AM   #201
FelizNavidad
Admiral

Patient X/The Red and the Black

Got to love a nice Alien War. In terms of mythology episodes, this one felt as good as some of the earlier ones and not really bogged down as I've observed with some of the Mytharc recently. Maybe I get the feeling because it deals more personally with Mulder and Scully, with Mulder being the skeptic after the events of Redux and Scully actually starting to believe in Extraterrestrials. I also liked the introduction of Cassandra Spender here, and I hope we see more of her later on. These episodes are almost ruined because Netflix doesn't have subtitles for foreign languages anymore (which sucks) but I was able to get through it.

I get the feeling these two episodes were trying to set up the movie, because while it's been a long while, I do remember the Black ink playing a major role in the movie. So the syndicate was successful in creating a vaccine on the black ink, and I think that leads us into the events of the movie. I actually rented the movie on Itunes so I'm actually looking forward to giving it a rewatch, only this time, in context of the series.

sjsharksfan39
Old July 16 2014, 11:09 AM   #202
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

I'm getting close to the end, watched Jumped the Shark last night... so I won't spoil anything.

One question though. Has anyone seen the Lone Gunmen spin-off? Half of me wants to get it just out of completion's sake, but the other half of me expects it to be wholly dire. Caught the first ten minutes of the Pilot on Youtube last night, and Frohike's best Tom Cruise Mission Impossible pose put me right off.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 05:10 PM   #203
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
I'm getting close to the end, watched Jumped the Shark last night... so I won't spoil anything.

One question though. Has anyone seen the Lone Gunmen spin-off? Half of me wants to get it just out of completion's sake, but the other half of me expects it to be wholly dire. Caught the first ten minutes of the Pilot on Youtube last night, and Frohike's best Tom Cruise Mission Impossible pose put me right off.
Watch the entire pilot (and remember they it aired in March of 2001) and you'll find it eerily prophetic. Watch the final episode for its ties to the Dreamland two-parter of X-Files. All of the episodes in between? Pretty mediocre stuff with bland stabs at humor: Watch only if you are a completist.

Definitely check out the first and last episodes though.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 05:24 PM   #204
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

Would you say the series is worth £8, or $14, which is how much I can get it for at the moment?

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 07:19 AM   #205
FelizNavidad
Admiral

The End

Much better finale than Season 4, but not as good as the first three seasons. Again, X-Files is at it's best with the character moments, so that final scene of the X-Files office burned down was a really chilling scene. I'm not as shocked about the closing of the X-Files now as I was back when it happened in the first season, maybe because the show felt still really new and now it's what does it all mean. Does it mean that the last 5 years doesn't matter? Are they again sending this mytharc into a different direction (It really is one misdirection over another)? I also loved the scenes with Scully and Gibson, and for the first time in a long time, Cigarette Smoking Man was the best part of the episode.

I did watch 3 others tonight, and the one where Mulder goes undercover and where Mulder is held hostage because a guy at a telemarketing firm thinks his boss was a monster were pretty good. I didn't really care for All Souls, mainly because I think the MOTW episodes dealing with religion and cultests are some of X-Files worst (And maybe they are just too repetitive.

Now I'm at the movie and I rented it from Itunes yesterday. I have seen the movie but it has been 16 years. Now I get to see it with context and I'm really looking forward to it.

sjsharksfan39
Old July 17 2014, 07:35 PM   #206
FelizNavidad
Admiral

Two things I forgot to say when talking about the season 5 finale last night:

1) Was the shooter the same guy who played the Lawyer in Jurassic Park?

2) Fox must of loved this episode at the time. The kid watched The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and I don't know what the other show was. Fox always does the whole self promotion thing pretty well.

sjsharksfan39
Old July 18 2014, 06:29 AM   #207
FelizNavidad
Admiral

X Files: Fight the Future

I remember watching this film back in 1998, but then I didn't know anything about the series. Now, that I'm watching the series, I appreciate it a lot more mainly because I understand the context of it. They did good work expanding the mythology of the Bees, the black oil, and the Virus and incubation. Really loved the final scene in the arctic with Mulder rescuing Scully. There was a ton of good action and still those great character moments from the series.

The Beginning

This is where the series starts pissing me off and it's happened time and again. We get some big events that happen, and then the next episode things feel like the status quo. Yeah this one you have Fawley and Spender taking over the X Files and that's an interesting development, but then you had Scully going from "I can't quit now, you need me..." back to her skeptic self. It felt like this was a wrap up of Season 5, instead of really following up the events of the movie. Also, it was so dark I couldn't see much of anything.

Also, based on this episode is The X Files saying that we evolved from Aliens because of that dorment DNA that Gibson found a way to turn on? Gee, great.

I like this show, and I do understand why it was so popular, but man this Mytharc is not the show's best quality.

sjsharksfan39
Old July 18 2014, 08:07 AM   #208
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

^ As far as I can tell from the opinions of people who are very into the X-Files and have seen all or most of it, post-movie (post-Fight the Future) was where things turned bad, or at least started to decline.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 06:05 PM   #209
Ometiklan
Commander

I just wanted to add that I am a big X-Files fan. I would be interested in doing my own rewatch if I wasn't already, again (slowly) crawling through Next Gen, DS9, and The Wire.

As for the Lone Gunman. I really liked the show. I thought the light-hearted and funny approach really played well. While not amazing, I was disappointed it wasn't continued.

Here's to hoping a third X-Files movie exists someday!
Ometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 08:17 PM   #210
Forbin
Admiral

My wife and I WERE doing an X-File rewatch - I think we got almost up to season 4 - but them we discovered Supernatural and that took over our X-Files night.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote