RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,694
Posts: 5,841,228
Members: 26,178
Currently online: 437
Newest member: 605Animations

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Merchandise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Shatner Writing Book About Friendship With Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Nimoy Documentary ON COPD In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old August 26 2014, 03:25 PM   #1
MadaBidyoni
Lieutenant
 
MadaBidyoni's Avatar
 
Enemy mine

Hi
do you know about other films like "Enemy mine" that shows a sci-fi'ish conflict between sides that can't communicate, & how they resolve it?
__________________
Scifi & Fantasy cultural references ...Check it out!
MadaBidyoni is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: Enemy mine

ReadyAndWilling, is that you?
Tosk is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Melakon
Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave
Re: Enemy mine

Any existence of other films similar to 'Enemy Mine' is a closely guarded secret, because knowledge is power.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is online now  
Old August 26 2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Locutus of Bored
The Mod Awakens
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: A Galaxy Far, Far Away
Re: Enemy mine

MadaBidyoni wrote: View Post
Hi
do you know about other films like "Enemy mine" that shows a sci-fi'ish conflict between sides that can't communicate, & how they resolve it?
Like all superior lifeforms, they use Google.
__________________
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 05:18 PM   #5
BigJake
Vice Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Enemy mine

Hi, OP. Try seeking out these overlooked gems:

In the 1996 Uwe Boll film Enemy Mime, a Parisian mime and a performer of Swiss mask theatre are stranded on a remote Mediterranean island together and must put aside their creative differences and find a way to communicate in order to flag down help from a passing yacht. Complications arise when they're discovered by a Camorra drug-running operation that abducts the masquer and forces them to do an endless series of silent reenactments of Luchino Visconti's "The Damned."

In the 1972 martial arts film classic Yaro-U, a ninja and a samurai are stranded together on a remote sandbar in the Seto Inland Sea. Able to communicate only through their swordsmanship styles, the pair must find the correct set of forms on which to build a relationship -- and even a friendship -- before they starve to death. Complications arise when an adorable komodo dragon swims onto the island and melts the stony hearts of the brutal warriors, each of whom desires him for a pet.

In the hard-hitting 2011 sociopolitical drama Public Transit, a Republican and a Democrat coming from separate fundraisers in Manhattan fall drunkenly asleep on the subway and somehow wake up stranded in Hoboken wearing feather boas and party hats. For the sake of survival, they must put aside their differences and learn to translate each others' coded campaign-speak in order to make their way back to civilization. Complications arise when something that appears to be a poor person walks up and just starts talking to them just like that and it's super-awkward. What happens next will amaze you.

I guess those aren't particularly sci-fi'ish, though. For something more in that vein:

In the 1964 sci-fi cult hit Return to the Seventh Planet*, an American Spacetronaut and a British Spacetronaut are stranded together on a remote world in the Beta Thurii System. Theoretically they both speak English, but constant petty bickering over the correct spelling of "aluminium" and "colour" and puzzlement over why you'd call a "couch" a "settee" interferes with their attempts to get past their radically different coffee-drinker vs. tea-drinker worldviews and repair their Fuze-O-Rocket. Further complications arise when an omnipotent space alien that looks suspiciously like Michelle Angelo in a silver bikini appears from a nearby cave, and offers herself as Queen of Space to the first Spacetronaut who can serve her a glass of beer at the correct temperature.

* Fun fact: according to a guy I met in a bar the other night, this film was the indirect inspiration for the Star Trek episode "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." At least I think that's what he was saying. It's a bit of a blur.
__________________
"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, Jake's had the most... Haterade."

Last edited by BigJake; August 26 2014 at 05:40 PM.
BigJake is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Enemy mine

There was ofcourse Space Above And Beyond, however, that was technically never resolved. And it's a tv-show, not a movie.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 06:47 PM   #7
Servo
Rear Admiral
 
Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester, England
Re: Enemy mine

BigJake wrote: View Post
Hi, OP. Try seeking out these overlooked gems:

In the 1996 Uwe Boll film Enemy Mime, a Parisian mime and a performer of Swiss mask theatre are stranded on a remote Mediterranean island together and must put aside their creative differences and find a way to communicate in order to flag down help from a passing yacht. Complications arise when they're discovered by a Camorra drug-running operation that abducts the masquer and forces them to do an endless series of silent reenactments of Luchino Visconti's "The Damned."

In the 1972 martial arts film classic Yaro-U, a ninja and a samurai are stranded together on a remote sandbar in the Seto Inland Sea. Able to communicate only through their swordsmanship styles, the pair must find the correct set of forms on which to build a relationship -- and even a friendship -- before they starve to death. Complications arise when an adorable komodo dragon swims onto the island and melts the stony hearts of the brutal warriors, each of whom desires him for a pet.

In the hard-hitting 2011 sociopolitical drama Public Transit, a Republican and a Democrat coming from separate fundraisers in Manhattan fall drunkenly asleep on the subway and somehow wake up stranded in Hoboken wearing feather boas and party hats. For the sake of survival, they must put aside their differences and learn to translate each others' coded campaign-speak in order to make their way back to civilization. Complications arise when something that appears to be a poor person walks up and just starts talking to them just like that and it's super-awkward. What happens next will amaze you.

I guess those aren't particularly sci-fi'ish, though. For something more in that vein:

In the 1964 sci-fi cult hit Return to the Seventh Planet*, an American Spacetronaut and a British Spacetronaut are stranded together on a remote world in the Beta Thurii System. Theoretically they both speak English, but constant petty bickering over the correct spelling of "aluminium" and "colour" and puzzlement over why you'd call a "couch" a "settee" interferes with their attempts to get past their radically different coffee-drinker vs. tea-drinker worldviews and repair their Fuze-O-Rocket. Further complications arise when an omnipotent space alien that looks suspiciously like Michelle Angelo in a silver bikini appears from a nearby cave, and offers herself as Queen of Space to the first Spacetronaut who can serve her a glass of beer at the correct temperature.

* Fun fact: according to a guy I met in a bar the other night, this film was the indirect inspiration for the Star Trek episode "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." At least I think that's what he was saying. It's a bit of a blur.


I... I'm just...



...wow.
__________________
"As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?" - Ollie, The Mist
Servo is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 06:55 PM   #8
BigJake
Vice Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Enemy mine

Servo wrote: View Post


I... I'm just...



...wow.


__________________
"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, Jake's had the most... Haterade."
BigJake is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 06:59 PM   #9
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Enemy mine

He really can, you know.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 08:23 PM   #10
ManOnTheWave
Vice Admiral
 
ManOnTheWave's Avatar
 
Location: In My Lair, Cretin.
Re: Enemy mine

And we will all be impressed.
__________________
"El Diablo Robotico... Why?"
ManOnTheWave is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 08:46 PM   #11
MadaBidyoni
Lieutenant
 
MadaBidyoni's Avatar
 
Re: Enemy mine

BigJake wrote: View Post
Hi, OP. Try seeking out these overlooked gems:

In the 1996 Uwe Boll film Enemy Mime, a Parisian mime and a performer of Swiss mask theatre are stranded on a remote Mediterranean island together and must put aside their creative differences and find a way to communicate in order to flag down help from a passing yacht. Complications arise when they're discovered by a Camorra drug-running operation that abducts the masquer and forces them to do an endless series of silent reenactments of Luchino Visconti's "The Damned."

In the 1972 martial arts film classic Yaro-U, a ninja and a samurai are stranded together on a remote sandbar in the Seto Inland Sea. Able to communicate only through their swordsmanship styles, the pair must find the correct set of forms on which to build a relationship -- and even a friendship -- before they starve to death. Complications arise when an adorable komodo dragon swims onto the island and melts the stony hearts of the brutal warriors, each of whom desires him for a pet.

In the hard-hitting 2011 sociopolitical drama Public Transit, a Republican and a Democrat coming from separate fundraisers in Manhattan fall drunkenly asleep on the subway and somehow wake up stranded in Hoboken wearing feather boas and party hats. For the sake of survival, they must put aside their differences and learn to translate each others' coded campaign-speak in order to make their way back to civilization. Complications arise when something that appears to be a poor person walks up and just starts talking to them just like that and it's super-awkward. What happens next will amaze you.

I guess those aren't particularly sci-fi'ish, though. For something more in that vein:

In the 1964 sci-fi cult hit Return to the Seventh Planet*, an American Spacetronaut and a British Spacetronaut are stranded together on a remote world in the Beta Thurii System. Theoretically they both speak English, but constant petty bickering over the correct spelling of "aluminium" and "colour" and puzzlement over why you'd call a "couch" a "settee" interferes with their attempts to get past their radically different coffee-drinker vs. tea-drinker worldviews and repair their Fuze-O-Rocket. Further complications arise when an omnipotent space alien that looks suspiciously like Michelle Angelo in a silver bikini appears from a nearby cave, and offers herself as Queen of Space to the first Spacetronaut who can serve her a glass of beer at the correct temperature.

* Fun fact: according to a guy I met in a bar the other night, this film was the indirect inspiration for the Star Trek episode "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." At least I think that's what he was saying. It's a bit of a blur.
wow thanks
but why can't i find an IMDB page for these?
__________________
Scifi & Fantasy cultural references ...Check it out!
MadaBidyoni is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 09:07 PM   #12
BigJake
Vice Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Enemy mine

Not sure. Keep looking! You could try alternate spellings.

(Errr... in case that was a serious question, I was joking. None of those are real movies.)
__________________
"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, Jake's had the most... Haterade."
BigJake is offline  
Old August 26 2014, 09:28 PM   #13
Neroon
Mod of balance
 
Neroon's Avatar
 
Location: On my ship the Rocinante
Re: Enemy mine

MadaBidyoni wrote: View Post
Hi
do you know about other films like "Enemy mine" that shows a sci-fi'ish conflict between sides that can't communicate, & how they resolve it?
If you've been around here for any length of time, you ought to know that such threads are discouraged. You have a wealth of tools available to answer such base, simplistic questions. Please make use of them or you run the risk of an infraction for spamming.

Thread closed
__________________
"The greatest tales are always over far too soon, for those who appreciate them." -
- Jef Murray -
Neroon is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.