Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 13 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Chekov FORESIGHT

Guys guys I had a THOUGHT.

Do you think they cast Yelchin as Chekov in part because his hair is curly so they knew they would never ever be stuck with prime Chekov's MONKEES style hair? As in people would either be whining where is my MONKEES hair or they would be whining why do we have this lameass MONKEES hair. And if they did use the MONKEES hair people would whine why don't the women have the 60's do's why is it only Chekov who looks this dated. But since his hair cannot actually go MONKEES because it is curly we will never ever face this.

I'm thinking this was a plan.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Richard Baker
Commander

Re: Chekov FORESIGHT

His hair was not that much different than Spock's, just thicker.
Monkees (who were marketing clones of the Beatles who had the same hair also), that style is dated for sure but it never bothered me.
Walter Koenig was in the cast to make the show relateable to young people, I am just so grateful he was not obnoxious like Wesley.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Guys guys I had a THOUGHT.

Do you think they cast Yelchin as Chekov in part because his hair is curly so they knew they would never ever be stuck with prime Chekov's MONKEES style hair? As in people would either be whining where is my MONKEES hair or they would be whining why do we have this lameass MONKEES hair. And if they did use the MONKEES hair people would whine why don't the women have the 60's do's why is it only Chekov who looks this dated. But since his hair cannot actually go MONKEES because it is curly we will never ever face this.

I'm thinking this was a plan.
Clearly you've never seen Micky Dolenz in the early episodes of the Monkees.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 08:33 PM   #4
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

^ Heh.

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
Walter Koenig was in the cast to make the show relateable to young people, I am just so grateful he was not obnoxious like Wesley.
Not sure whether there might have been an age factor involved, but I suspect that most people didn't find Wesley particularly obnoxious, either. I never did. (Okay, there's "Justice," but there are a lot of things in line ahead of Wesley on the list of problems I had with that ep.)
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Robert D. Robot
Captain

^ I never understood the dislike for Wesley, either. For me, he had no more groan-inducing behaviors or scenes than most of the other characters, especially once we get past the first season. Picard acting so uncomfortable & annoyed with children seems odd, since he is in command of a ship full of families. I do like Data, but I groaned quite a bit how we kept getting hit over the head with: "I am an android so I can not whistle, nor can I use contractions, nor can I set up a lawn chair," despite the fact he had lived with humans for decades!
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

According to Richard Arnold, Wil Wheaton received more fan mail than any of the other actors on TNG. Both Koenig and Wheaton were regular feature and pin-up fodder in teen magazines such as "Fifteen" in their days.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 03:07 PM   #7
teacake
Admiral

Yelchin disappoints me.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 14 2013, 06:36 PM   #8
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

teacake wrote: View Post
Yelchin disappoints me.
You secretly wanted to see Chekov with straight hair in a pop-star cut?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

The only time I found Wesley obnoxious was when he said "I'm with Starfleet. We don't lie."
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
^ I never understood the dislike for Wesley, either. For me, he had no more groan-inducing behaviors or scenes than most of the other characters, especially once we get past the first season. Picard acting so uncomfortable & annoyed with children seems odd, since he is in command of a ship full of families. I do like Data, but I groaned quite a bit how we kept getting hit over the head with: "I am an android so I can not whistle, nor can I use contractions, nor can I set up a lawn chair," despite the fact he had lived with humans for decades!
Wesley wasn't anywhere near as obnoxious as people like Mike Seaver or most other male teenage characters on TV in the 1980s. I wanted to be like him, a young man who was smart in school and had a future; I never wanted to be anything like J.J. Evans, Theo Huxtable, Dobie Gillis, Maynard G. Krebs, or any of the other teens shown on TV.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 02:35 AM   #11
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
Wesley wasn't anywhere near as obnoxious as people like Mike Seaver or most other male teenage characters on TV in the 1980s. I wanted to be like him, a young man who was smart in school and had a future; I never wanted to be anything like J.J. Evans, Theo Huxtable, Dobie Gillis, Maynard G. Krebs, or any of the other teens shown on TV.
Kirk Cameron was obnoxious in every role he played.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 02:44 AM   #12
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
You could have stopped at obnoxious. And added "is and" before "was".

The only thing I particularly hated about Wesley was that stupid rainbow outfit. Which there honestly seemed to be a similar problem with almost ALL of the "civilian" clothes on the show - we just saw him in it more than anyone else.
Old December 23 2013, 08:51 AM   #13
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
You could have stopped at obnoxious. And added "is and" before "was".
To be fair, he was only like that just as Mike, not in his roles in the religious fundie movies.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 09:23 AM   #14
teacake
Admiral

My favorite is when he does that trick with the banana. Ping pong balls got nothing on that.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 24 2013, 03:19 AM   #15
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
To be fair, he was only like that just as Mike, not in his roles in the religious fundie movies.
Who's talking about *roles*?