Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 17 2013, 04:16 AM   #91
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: Wood Burning = Illegal

As it turned out, the pilot has been lit all along. I turned on the thermostat and voilà! Let there be heat!
Old December 17 2013, 09:48 PM   #92
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Electricity/gas ain't cheap, and is it really worse for the environment to burn wood than oil or however that electricity is being generated?
I think it's worse for those areas that are bowls and the wood smoke doesn't dissipate for days or weeks.
This is actually a bit of a sticky wicket... Using wood is actually BETTER for the environment, as it helps thin the forests which are incredibly overdense in most of the country (especially west of the Mississippi River). The cutting of wood for fire/home heating and other purposes opens up the canopy, allowing sun and rain to hit the earth, causing native grasses and vegetation to grow and therby creating better bio diversity and sustainable wildlife habitat. It goes without saying that forest restoration treatments also reduce the severity of wildfire substantially.

Wood is an incredibly green (no pun intended) renewable energy and building material...

Yes, of course, smoke from fire places and woodburning stoves can cause polution, but technology is advancing all the time, that creates a much better environment for clean burning. While home models of these systems are still rather expensive, it won't be long before they are more cost effective. That still doesn't help the old traditional fire place, but I think you'd find that most of the homes that use those kinds of fire places, do so in an ornamental
"There's nothing like a fire during the holidays" fashion and not for heating the entire house.

The average home that uses wood for heating has some form of wood burning stove that can use pellets instead of logs. While it's more cost effective to go out and cut your own logs, pellets are less mess, burn MUCH cleaner and are significantly cheaper than gas, electricity or heating oil.

And yes, I work for a forestry agency - New Mexico State Forestry
Old December 17 2013, 10:46 PM   #93
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

marillion wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Electricity/gas ain't cheap, and is it really worse for the environment to burn wood than oil or however that electricity is being generated?
I think it's worse for those areas that are bowls and the wood smoke doesn't dissipate for days or weeks.
This is actually a bit of a sticky wicket... Using wood is actually BETTER for the environment, as it helps thin the forests which are incredibly overdense in most of the country (especially west of the Mississippi River). The cutting of wood for fire/home heating and other purposes opens up the canopy, allowing sun and rain to hit the earth, causing native grasses and vegetation to grow and therby creating better bio diversity and sustainable wildlife habitat. It goes without saying that forest restoration treatments also reduce the severity of wildfire substantially.

Wood is an incredibly green (no pun intended) renewable energy and building material...

Yes, of course, smoke from fire places and woodburning stoves can cause polution, but technology is advancing all the time, that creates a much better environment for clean burning. While home models of these systems are still rather expensive, it won't be long before they are more cost effective. That still doesn't help the old traditional fire place, but I think you'd find that most of the homes that use those kinds of fire places, do so in an ornamental
"There's nothing like a fire during the holidays" fashion and not for heating the entire house.

The average home that uses wood for heating has some form of wood burning stove that can use pellets instead of logs. While it's more cost effective to go out and cut your own logs, pellets are less mess, burn MUCH cleaner and are significantly cheaper than gas, electricity or heating oil.

And yes, I work for a forestry agency - New Mexico State Forestry
Good information. Thanks for sharing.