TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 14 2013, 04:54 PM   #76
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: Wood Burning = Illegal

RobertVA wrote: View Post

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
What is that, Doctor Who or something?
I think you mean Dr. Who.
On that show's titles "Doctor" is spelled out. Although it wasn't a consideration before the revival, spelling "Doctor" out also makes the anagram with the Torchwood spinoff work.
Yes, I know what the show is called. I was joking.
Old December 14 2013, 05:09 PM   #77
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 07:42 PM   #78
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Red nosed and loving it

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
I think this air quality problem is particularly bad in cities where the local geography forms a 'bowl' where the air can just sit stagnantly for weeks during different times of the year.
Davros wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
I think this air quality problem is particularly bad in cities where the local geography forms a 'bowl' where the air can just sit stagnantly for weeks during different times of the year.
Very true.
That is exactly why Denver has had wood burning restrictions for decades.
It also is exactly the reason why such a Republican stronghold area as Maricopa County, Arizona has had these same restrictions in place for almost two decades.

Squiggy Claus wrote: View Post
Personally, I'm shocked that the San Francisco area has made such a liberal policy decision.
Do I need to send someone to pick you up off the floor for just showing that these same restrictions are in place in Arizona, where they question people because they look like they are Mexican?

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 04:45 PM   #79
Naira
Rear Admiral

Wood burning has been a huge problem here in Greece during this and the past year. Most people cannot afford to use their heating systems - which are mostly based on petrol - because of high taxes for petrol. Since most people live in blocks of flats rather than houses and the heating systems are usually centralized, this means that even those who can afford it cannot have heating (because the rest of the residents cannot pay). Thus, more and more people have been using their fireplaces which - up to know - where mostly decorative.

Many cities (mine included) have time-traveled back to the previous century and the fog of the fireplaces is clearly visible and inhalable. The government has been issuing warnings about the danger to public health, but obviously most of these people cannot stop burning wood because it is their only way of heating...

It is a really unfortunate situation.
Old December 16 2013, 05:07 PM   #80
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Is using an electrical heater really more expensive than burning wood? Obviously, you'd have to buy one first if you didn't already own one but they strike me as more efficient than using a fireplace (if you even have one).

I have one that I sometimes use because the heating in our house gets switched on only late in autumn when my apartment is already pretty cold because I live on the ground floor.
Old December 16 2013, 07:55 PM   #81
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

^ The pain of using space heaters, as I've been experiencing lately, is that they tend to trip the circuit breaker in various rooms of my house, especially when such heaters are running simultaneously, resulting in power interruptions. I've done some research and realized that most home electrical outlets have a maximum of 15 to 20 amps; since a space heater uses a lot of energy, it often triggers the circuit breaker when two many other appliances are running or plugged into an outlet. It appears having a "dedicated circuit" for a heater would be advisable.

I think the best way to keep warm is to turn on your furnace/central heating. Unfortunately, our home's furnace isn't working at the moment because the pilot needs to be ignited. I haven't been getting much sleep lately ... My room is too cold, and I constantly have to get up during the night to reset the breaker. I'm waiting on my sister to call the gas company.
Old December 16 2013, 08:15 PM   #82
Naira
Rear Admiral

^ Also, concerning electrical heating, in our house we happen to have A/C. However, when the temperature outside is around 0°C, the A/C units struggle but do not seem to be able to raise the temperature enough. The "quality" of the heat is much lower when compared to than of the central petrol-based heating system. (Fireplace heating is also not good though - you cannot warm up an entire room, let alone an entire house!)
Old December 16 2013, 08:21 PM   #83
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Gryff Gryngle wrote: View Post
^ The pain of using space heaters, as I've been experiencing lately, is that they tend to trip the circuit breaker in various rooms of my house, especially when such heaters are running simultaneously, resulting in power interruptions. I've done some research and realized that most home electrical outlets have a maximum of 15 to 20 amps; since a space heater uses a lot of energy, it often triggers the circuit breaker when two many other appliances are running or plugged into an outlet. It appears having a "dedicated circuit" for a heater would be advisable.
I had smaller ones in mind than the ones you seem to be describing. They don't need as much energy. I have rather shoddy electrical lines in my apartment and never had a problem.
They're not as good as actual heating, of course, but you can manage to get a room relatively warm.
Old December 16 2013, 08:38 PM   #84
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think the best way to keep warm is to turn on your furnace/central heating. Unfortunately, our home's furnace isn't working at the moment because the pilot needs to be ignited. I haven't been getting much sleep lately ... My room is too cold, and I constantly have to get up during the night to reset the breaker. I'm waiting on my sister to call the gas company.
Then go and light the pilot...
Old December 16 2013, 09:42 PM   #85
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Very late in the game on this, but Albuquerque has had the ability to call for "no-burn nights" for years and years... Obviously if you have not other source of heat, you're exempt, but for the rest of the population, compliance is a must. The police don't carry out enforcement, city workers do.. A lot of time, just like with our watering restrictions and firework bans, a lot of the population is on the lookout for violators.

We live in a bowl and as such, our inversion is a killer in the winter time, and you can really see the smoke in the valley..

Yes, it sucks not being able to have a fire sometimes, but it's a small price to pay for air quality...
Old December 16 2013, 10:04 PM   #86
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Definitely a good idea to limit smoke being released into the air, but in this case it means forcing people to use a much more expensive means of heating in a city that already has the highest cost of living in the country. Electricity/gas ain't cheap, and is it really worse for the environment to burn wood than oil or however that electricity is being generated?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 10:14 PM   #87
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Electricity/gas ain't cheap, and is it really worse for the environment to burn wood than oil or however that electricity is being generated?
I think it's worse for those areas that are bowls and the wood smoke doesn't dissipate for days or weeks.
Old December 17 2013, 01:07 AM   #88
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I don't know how to do it. I'm afraid I might trigger something that could blow up our house.
Old December 17 2013, 01:10 AM   #89
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

I don't know how to do it. I'm afraid I might trigger something that could blow up our house.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 02:55 AM   #90
RobertVA
Fleet Captain

Natural gas equipment is normally designed to interrupt the flow of fuel unless the pilot light is heating a component in the equipment OR a person is holding an override button. On many devices you rotate a knob to the ON position, hold the button, PROMPTLY apply fire (fireplace match, grill lighter etc) and wait about half a minute to release the button.

Of course it's not a bad idea to have a professional give a furnace a brief annual inspection in combination with a pilot lighting visit. The purpose for the inspection is mainly for ventilation issues like blocked exhaust or cracks in a furnace's heat exchanger.

Some equipment saves fuel by not using a pilot light. An electric arc activates to ignite the burner each time it is needed.
RobertVA is offline   Reply With Quote