Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 12 2013, 01:42 PM   #46
Christopher
Writer

Re: Time Of The Doctor Trailer!

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Time and the Rani feels far more like a post-regeneration story for Seven than a final story for Six. Indeed, the pre-titles regeneration is reminiscent of the pre-title regeneration in Catrovalva.
But my point was that Colin Baker didn't get any kind of a sendoff story to commemorate his departure. He was just suddenly gone.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 02:22 PM   #47
Vyse
Lieutenant

Bacl wrote: View Post
I am really going to miss Matt Smith.

He was excelent in the part, even though I did not like a lot of the material he was given. Even this, as a finale, has me cringing. Haven't we seen this before WITH Matt Smith's Doctor? It's like the same damn story. "I'm gonna die! The army people with no motivation of any substance are coming for me! All my enemies! Also there's some aspect of this being a child's fantasy or storybook thing!" Ugh. I wish we could go out on a really, really good story and not have the fact the Doctor is regenerating BE the story.

"Caves of Androzani" and "Parting of the Ways", where ARE you? Le sigh.

I agree with "Caves of Androzani", but not with "Parting of the Ways", I liked the build up in RTD's finales, but I also found his finales themselves to be rubbish. Granted the only issue I have with "Parting of the Ways" was how easy the Daleks were defeated.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 05:55 PM   #48
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

davejames wrote: View Post
I think I read somewhere that Capaldi starts out acting much like Smith's Doctor as he's still adjusting to his new body, but gradually becomes a lot more serious in his own series.
I'd love to know where you heard this, because they don't even start filming series 8 until next month.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 08:32 PM   #49
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Time and the Rani feels far more like a post-regeneration story for Seven than a final story for Six. Indeed, the pre-titles regeneration is reminiscent of the pre-title regeneration in Catrovalva.
But my point was that Colin Baker didn't get any kind of a sendoff story to commemorate his departure. He was just suddenly gone.
Yeah, that is sadly true. Still rooting for an actual regeneration story for him, done by Big Finish.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 08:47 PM   #50
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
I think I read somewhere that Capaldi starts out acting much like Smith's Doctor as he's still adjusting to his new body, but gradually becomes a lot more serious in his own series.
I'd love to know where you heard this, because they don't even start filming series 8 until next month.
He probably got it from the Moffat interview that said Capaldi hops around more than Tennant and Smith combined post-regeneration, or something to that effect, being full of energy, before he settles down and becomes more serious later.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 09:49 PM   #51
Candlelight
Admiral

Bacl wrote: View Post
Capaldi appearing halfway through the special and saving the day is an excellent way to undercut Matt's final episode and completely take away from our last few moments with the 11th Doctor by putting all the spotlight and fanfare on the 12th.
Yes, brilliant idea isn't it?

In all seriousness it would be a very different way to see the incarnation out, and given how there's still at least one Dalek running around yelling he's regenerating it may happen.

Of course, Tennant started to regenerate in The Stolen Earth too...
Old December 12 2013, 11:55 PM   #52
diankra
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Before I delved into DW, all I knew about it was that, the Doctor somehow changed his appearence, he was old and young, and Tom Baker.
Back in the '80s, I had a friend who was into a lot of SF and comics but not a Who viewer. I often talked to him about the show, and explained it to him, but when he first saw the cover of a book that showed the faces of all six or seven Doctors, he was surprised at how different they all looked. He'd known that the role had been recast multiple times, but he'd assumed they cast similar-looking actors.
The covers for the 1980s French editions of the Target books have the Doctor changing age, hair and costume (except he always has a scarf) but keeping the same face. It sort-of works...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 11:56 PM   #53
Christopher
Writer

If they hadn't just done a multi-Doctor crossover, I'd like to see a regeneration story that does something timey-wimey to allow the old and new Doctors to overlap for the majority of the story, to interact directly and allow the old one to formally pass the baton to the new one, assured that his future is in good hands. Sort of like the Watcher in "Logopolis" but without the mystery. Or maybe not timey-wimey, but some kind of gradual regeneration where the old Doctor has the new one in his head and can see him and talk to him even though nobody else can (a bit like River in "Name of...").

diankra wrote: View Post
The covers for the 1980s French editions of the Target books have the Doctor changing age, hair and costume (except he always has a scarf) but keeping the same face. It sort-of works...
That sounds entirely bizarre. Do you have a link to pictures?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 12:00 AM   #54
diankra
Commodore

Will look online. If not I'll have to scan 'em.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 03:29 AM   #55
Candlelight
Admiral

Wait hang on...

"The Doctor is regenerating!"

I thought Dalek Clara erased the Doctor from the Dalek's collective consciousness. Has it somehow been restored? Or do they learn of him through the episode?

They definitely understand the concept of regeneration, although maybe it was only the Doctor who was erased, and not the memory of the Time Lords.
Old December 13 2013, 04:41 AM   #56
DWF
Vice Admiral

Carols by Candlelight wrote: View Post
Wait hang on...

I thought Dalek Clara erased the Doctor from the Dalek's collective consciousness. Has it somehow been restored? Or do they learn of him through the episode?

They definitely understand the concept of regeneration, although maybe it was only the Doctor who was erased, and not the memory of the Time Lords.
The special covers another 900 odd years of the Doctor's life so their rediscovery of him was only a matter of time.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 12:02 PM   #57
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Wait hang on...

Obviously, they'll have found out about him again. And considering their history with him, I'd imagine they wouldn't be happy about it.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 04:46 PM   #58
Lonemagpie
Writer

Wait hang on...

They get their memories back, and they're not fucking happy with him.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 05:01 PM   #59
Romulan_spy
Commodore

I noticed in one of the clips that Clara introduces the Doctor to her family as her boyfriend.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 05:39 PM   #60
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I wonder if the Dr knowing his time is coming to a end actually uses his regeneration process as some kind of weapon, and possibly the dalek is running away from it.

Can't wait.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote