Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: red pill or blue pill
Blue pill - stay in the simulated reality in blissful ignorance. 9 39.13%
Red pill - "wake up" from the simulated reality and join the free humans in Zion. 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 11 2013, 06:27 PM   #16
Marten
Captain

Re: The Matrix: the red pill or the blue pill

Knowing what a shitty place the real world was, I'd choose the blue. If you do not know the difference, it doesn't really matter which is real. It would be real to me, and that's enough.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Anwar
Vice Admiral

What fi you took both pills at the same time?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ The red pill only serves as a locator for the trace program. So the redpills who gave you the pills would be able to find your physical body, but if you chose the blue pill, why would they bother?

Rķu rķu, chķu wrote: View Post
(People in the Matrix do still have free will - it's not like the Agents were fascist dictators or anything like that. It seemed that the Agents actually interfered very little in people's day to day lives. It was only to go up against Morpheus' group that the Agents manifested themselves.)
As I said above, I think it's pretty safe to assume from the visual sickliness/drabness of the Matrix that that system is not exactly a great or particularly cultured place to live. It may not be North Korea bad, but I don't think it's at all unreasonable to assume that there are sub-Agent programs whose purpose is to stifle, discourage, or even eliminate those who, whether by artistic, scientific or other means, endanger the general passivity of the population.

So yeah, you might be free to be an accountant by day and a stamp collector by night, but even if we accept that freedom is possible within the confines of a computer program, saying that those plugged in have free will is a stretch.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 08:13 PM   #19
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Once the vale is removed and I know life is fake, it would be hard for me to go back to it. Red pill please, before an agent inhabits me.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:11 PM   #20
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
They consist of various ethnic groups and that most of them dress the same is obviously not a question of choice but availability of materials.
So that's why when they entered the Matrix, they all wore exactly the same kinds of outfits in the same color, moved the same way, acted the same way, and otherwise were practically clones of each other. Even though they could have dressed and acted any way they wanted to.

The fucking agents were almost more diversified than these people were...
Old December 11 2013, 10:38 PM   #21
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Gaith wrote: View Post
^ The red pill only serves as a locator for the trace program. So the redpills who gave you the pills would be able to find your physical body
Still trying to figure that one out. As I understand it, the Matrix is basically a holodeck writ large. (Although, in a sense it's not even that - all it really is, is basically a shared dream that everyone plugged into it is having.) How can physical locations in the program have any meaning?

Sure, a person in the Matrix can take all the red pills they want, but I still don't understand how this enables anyone to locate that person's real body. Or, having to exit from the Matrix by going to a phone booth - again, this is within the Matrix, so I assume that actual physical locations in the program are meaningless. Is this just a MacGuffin of sorts?
Old December 11 2013, 11:08 PM   #22
RoJoHen
Awesome

Rķu rķu, chķu wrote: View Post
Sure, a person in the Matrix can take all the red pills they want, but I still don't understand how this enables anyone to locate that person's real body. Or, having to exit from the Matrix by going to a phone booth - again, this is within the Matrix, so I assume that actual physical locations in the program are meaningless. Is this just a MacGuffin of sorts?
It's like a computer, I suppose. How do you shut a computer down?

You either have to know where to look to find the "Shut Down" button and click on it (like the phone booths), or you can physically unplug it.

As for the pill itself, it's like a hashtag. Neo takes #redpill. People in the real world can then search for #redpill and find out where he's being stored.
Old December 11 2013, 11:29 PM   #23
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
As I said above, I think it's pretty safe to assume from the visual sickliness/drabness of the Matrix that that system is not exactly a great or particularly cultured place to live.
Why do you assume that? The conceit is that the Matrix is the same as what we the audience consider to be the real world, so the art and culture would be the same as what you're used to. They have art, film, music, fashion...
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 12:32 AM   #24
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I didn't think the Matrix looked particularly dull.

Green, yes. But that was intentional. It always had a greenish hue (like the AlphaVerse from Charlie Jade) just to distinguish it from the real world.
Old December 12 2013, 12:58 AM   #25
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Because the whole "the real world is trashed and doesn't look like Manhattan" wasn't an obvious enough indicator, I guess?
Old December 12 2013, 09:40 AM   #26
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

In the question's premise I'm guess we're TOLD what the "real world" is like? Morpheous says, "It's an utter crap-hole where you're going to be mostly living in a rusty hovership eating runny oatmeal and you'll only ever see the dullest colors imaginable. Oh, and we live in a shitty dungeon of a city where we have caveman raves every other Tuesday."

Yeah, one Blue Pill, please.

As Morpheous himself says, "What is real?"

If my mind doesn't know the difference from the input of the "real world" and the input of The Matrix then I might as well go with the place where life seems somewhat enjoyable and "normal." I don't exactly think the people on the hoverships/Zion are living that great of a life.

It was always my interpretation that life in Matrix was analogous to the actual real world. With just as much diversity in culture and what have you as we actually have. Hell, before it seemed established everyone lived in a single "mega city" I had just assumed the Matrix was exactly like our own world. That *we* were living in The Matrix and didn't know it.

I don't see why culture (movies, music, etc.) would be sterile or non-existent given the billions of people in The Matrix who, presumably, would have the creatively and range to make these things. I don't think we see enough of life in The Matrix to get an impression of what life is really like there beyond "like our world."

So, yeah, Blue Pill for sure. As Cypher(?) said, "ignorance is bliss." More than that, "the real world sucks and I want to eat a delicious-looking rare steak and not slop that came out of an industrial oil dispenser drinking engine degreaser."
Old December 12 2013, 11:09 AM   #27
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

The matrix is most definitely intentionally dull and made passive; it's a zoo, a prison - as expressly said in the movie. It's purpose is NOT to be a culture festival and encourage diversity, but to encourage passivity and uniformity. It is a highly regimented dictatorship.
Everyone who makes even a single move to change this status quo - and is reachble within the matrix - is most likely 'erased'.

Also - it's interesting to see how many would willingly accept a life inside a high security prison in order to have the "freedom" of a boring job/otherwise passive life - and, of course, food security.
These amenities are available inside current high security prisons, as well. Any volunteers?
Old December 12 2013, 11:21 AM   #28
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
These amenities are available inside current high security prisons, as well. Any volunteers?
How is that comparable? Would these volunteers have their minds altered so that while they are in prison they think they are living free, making their own decisions?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 11:38 AM   #29
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
How is that comparable? Would these volunteers have their minds altered so that while they are in prison they think they are living free, making their own decisions?
The illusion of free will is NOT free will. And, in the matrix, you don't have more freedom of choice than in a high security prison. Arguably less.

I'm reminded of the movie - Morpheus' words to the effect that 'most humans are hopelessly dependent of the matrix and they will fight to protect it'. Words much more realistic than I previously gave them credit for.

Apparently, many here are so hopelessly dependent on tasty food security that they would sacrifice their freedom - agree to become, in all aspects of their so-called lives, cogs in a machine with no possibility of this ever changing - for some cuisine. They sold themselves very cheaply.
But wait, as long as they can lie to themselves - regardless of how transparent the lie - that they are free, etc, then it's all right. lol.
Old December 12 2013, 11:59 AM   #30
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

The results to the poll are making me a sad panda.