Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 14 2014, 08:04 PM   #1
Joerib
Lieutenant

The Original Phoenix/Dark Phoenix and Jean Grey...

I thought everyone in the Marvel Universe knew that The 1st Phoenix/Dark Phoenix wasn't really Jean Grey, did I miss a retcon or something?
Joerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: The Original Phoenix/Dark Phoenix and Jean Grey...

Yes, the Phoenix being a separate entity from Jean Grey was not part of the original story. That was retconned later, in X-Factor, I believe.

Originally, it was Jean Grey whose powers "awakened," and she took on the Phoenix persona. Then she went nuts, started killing billions of aliens, and was killed on the Moon. That was supposed to be the end of her character, then it was retconned away by saying the Phoenix Force replaced her and left the real Jean Grey in a healing pod under the sea (something like that), where she was later found and joined X-Factor.
Old February 14 2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Joerib
Lieutenant

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Yes, the Phoenix being a separate entity from Jean Grey was not part of the original story. That was retconned later, in X-Factor, I believe.

Originally, it was Jean Grey whose powers "awakened," and she took on the Phoenix persona. Then she went nuts, started killing billions of aliens, and was killed on the Moon. That was supposed to be the end of her character, then it was retconned away by saying the Phoenix Force replaced her and left the real Jean Grey in a healing pod under the sea (something like that), where she was later found and joined X-Factor.
I wanna say she was found in an issue of Fantastic Four and then continued in X-Factor
Joerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, I think FF figured in there somewhere.

To this day, a lot of fans seem bitter about this, saying "Jean Grey is dead on the Moon."
Old February 14 2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I think there was a teaser in FF, then the Avengers actually recovered her pod from Jamaica Bay I believe it was. Or it might have been the other way around. The Avengers retrieved the pod and then she turned up in FF afterwards.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Near abouts Inferno, probably just after Jean was imprinted with all the memories and life experiences of both the Phoenix and Madelyne Prior.

She is, or was the complete package.

A couple key figures on Earth may know the distinction, but Space-bastards?

Space-bastards can't stand stupid human shit.

I might think that Bendis forgot or never knew, but here's something a little more probable, since it would have been completely emperor's new clothes to get so far without someone mentioning Jean's Cocoon... This is probably the definitive piece of evidence that exhonerates Jean at trial.

You would have to wonder what would have happened if the Shi'are turned up a week earlier during that other Time travel custerfuck and there were two Jean Grey's on campus? And really since those events would have been in motion when Old Jean arrived in the past, she would have been aware and nonplussed to disregard and not give a shit about the empending Trial.

In the Fantastic Four, written by Byrne to make sure that he didn't go psycho, where they found her, there's a ratty, frayed, moldy, sludgy, rotting matteress, glued to her cocoon, which changed the sillouette just so that it looked like one of Adam Warlock's cocoons so Reed got ready for completely the wrong threat.

The misdirect was pretty shitty since Jean in a halo of fire was on the cover.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

There's some interesting behind the scenes info on the development of Jean and Phoenix in the link, for anyone interested.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Maybe in the new Fantastic Four movie reboot, the post credits scene will have them finding Jean Grey's body at the bottom on Alkali Lake
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote