Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old January 8 2014, 09:52 PM   #1
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

ISS gets funding until 2024

Is this a good use of limited dollars that NASA gets? I know a lot of space enthusiasts who believe the ISS is a galactic [ ] waste of limited $.

NBC
The International Space Station (ISS) will be up and running for at least another decade, NASA officials announced on Wednesday.

The White House approved funding for the ISS for an additional four years, extending its life until at least 2024. That comes at a cost of $3 billion a year, no small price for an agency who has an annual budget of around $17 billion.
This is the second time the administration of President Barack Obama has given the ISS a new lease on life. The hardware on the ISS could technically last until 2028 with the current level of funding.
While NASA officials touted the space station's potential for testing new technologies like 3-D printing, they stressed that its survival was important for a much more ambitious project: sending a manned mission to Mars.
The extension means that NASA can now plan research projects at least a decade in advance, while private companies like SpaceX can count on 10 more years of contracts for shipping cargo up into Earth's orbit. They could get a chance to transport U.S. crew members to the ISS once NASA's contract with Russia's Soyuz space agency runs out in 2017.
It also reaffirms the White House's commitment to the space program in the face of China's plan to have its own space station up and running by 2023, which could potentially lure away some of NASA's current international partners. The $100 billion space station has been occupied by astronauts since 2000.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: ISS gets funding until 2024

The bit you quoted explains why it's a good idea, so I don't know why you're asking. Do you disagree with the reasons listed, or what? Weren't you the one complaining about a lack of manned space travel in the other thread? If you like manned space travel, you want to keep the ISS operating.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 11:56 PM   #3
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

I know I'd like to see the Station keep going for as long as practical and useful.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 12:27 AM   #4
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yes, I want the ISS to continue receiving funding.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Me too.

And it should get a huge Terran Empire logo on the side of it, just to mess with Trek fans who hear "ISS" and get the wrong idea.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 12:54 AM   #6
MacLeod
Admiral

Given how it took a decade or so to construct, the question is what happens after 2024 or 2028 when the station rezches the end of it's life.

Will it be replaced, can it be replaced?

Even if we can launch heavier/bigger modules on rockets rather than using the Space Shuttle for some modules. How easy would it be to construct it without having the Space Shuttle.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 01:32 AM   #7
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Given how it took a decade or so to construct, the question is what happens after 2024 or 2028 when the station rezches the end of it's life.

Will it be replaced, can it be replaced?

Even if we can launch heavier/bigger modules on rockets rather than using the Space Shuttle for some modules. How easy would it be to construct it without having the Space Shuttle.
By then, we should have Orion well in place.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old January 9 2014, 05:59 AM   #8
sojourner
Admiral

Orion is a capsule, not a rocket or space station.

From the little I have read there may not be an international successor to ISS, at least not involving as many participants. The russians keep working on proposals to build their own again.

I hope that with the next station, if there is one, NASA can build it from fewer but larger components. Who knows though. NASA may not build one next. They might just lease space on a commercial station.
Old January 9 2014, 06:07 AM   #9
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

sojourner wrote: View Post
Orion is a capsule, not a rocket or space station.

From the little I have read there may not be an international successor to ISS, at least not involving as many participants. The russians keep working on proposals to build their own again.

I hope that with the next station, if there is one, NASA can build it from fewer but larger components. Who knows though. NASA may not build one next. They might just lease space on a commercial station.
I know Orion's not a space station, but the Orion program is expected to be up and running by then, and the Orion program is designed as an LEO cargo people hauler, which means upgrades and new supplies for a new or existing ISS. Now, unless NASA forgot how to propel their capsules into space, I'm not seeing your point.
Old January 9 2014, 07:19 AM   #10
sojourner
Admiral

Actually. Orion is not a LEO cargo/people hauler. It's mission is beyond low earth orbit missions. Commercial space craft such as SpaceX's Dragon are being hired for LEO cargo and crew missions. Orion, once again. is just a capsule and can't get into space on it's own. The SLS is the intended launcher for it, although for at least the first Orion mission a Delta Heavy will be used. The intention is for Orion to only be used for crew/cargo rotation of a new or existing ISS if commercial spacecraft never make it to operational status.

Seeing as Dragon is already flying operational cargo missions and is on schedule to start flying manned missions (barring congress doing something asinine like cutting funding to COTS regardless of the fact that it's been some of the best bang for the buck NASA has ever had) to ISS at least 2 years before Orion, I don't think there is any problem of that.

The fate of SLS and whether it actually makes more than a few launches remains to be seen.

Que Publiusr to come tell us that SLS is the answer to all our prayers.
Old January 9 2014, 07:39 AM   #11
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

sojourner wrote: View Post
Actually. Orion is not a LEO cargo/people hauler. It's mission is beyond low earth orbit missions. Commercial space craft such as SpaceX's Dragon are being hired for LEO cargo and crew missions. Orion, once again. is just a capsule and can't get into space on it's own. The SLS is the intended launcher for it, although for at least the first Orion mission a Delta Heavy will be used. The intention is for Orion to only be used for crew/cargo rotation of a new or existing ISS if commercial spacecraft never make it to operational status.

Seeing as Dragon is already flying operational cargo missions and is on schedule to start flying manned missions (barring congress doing something asinine like cutting funding to COTS regardless of the fact that it's been some of the best bang for the buck NASA has ever had) to ISS at least 2 years before Orion, I don't think there is any problem of that.

The fate of SLS and whether it actually makes more than a few launches remains to be seen.

Que Publiusr to come tell us that SLS is the answer to all our prayers.
From here: http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/syst.../#.Us5Dy_ut-4k

NASA Orion Page wrote:
The Orion MPCV (Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle) is based on the Orion design requirements for traveling beyond low Earth orbit (LEO). Orion will serve as the exploration vehicle that will carry the crew to space, provide emergency abort capability, sustain the crew during the space travel, and provide safe re-entry from deep space return velocities.
  • Spacecraft to serve as the primary crew vehicle for missions beyond LEO
  • Capable of conducting regular in-space operations (rendezvous, docking, extravehicular activity) in conjunction with payloads delivered by the Space Launch System (SLS) for missions beyond LEO
  • Capability to be a backup system for International Space Station cargo and crew delivery
Please stop, because I don't know what you're going on about.
Old January 9 2014, 08:11 AM   #12
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Back in the day, Orion was something else.
Old January 9 2014, 12:07 PM   #13
Metryq
Captain

What's in a name?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Back in the day, Orion was something else.
Reusing the same name within the same arena for something entirely different is a clever way to avoid confusion, like DIVX and DivX. When that codec first appeared, it was frequently noted, "Not to be confused with the defunct home video format!" If they wanted to avoid confusion, they would have come up with a different name!

Seriously, NASA couldn't come up with a name other than that already used by a high-profile project? (The BUCK ROGERS series used the name "Ranger 3" deliberately because that probe was lost in space.) NASA could have named the new vehicle after one of the horses that pulled Apollo's chariot around the sky, perhaps.
Old January 9 2014, 05:40 PM   #14
sojourner
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post

From here: http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/syst.../#.Us5Dy_ut-4k

NASA Orion Page wrote:
The Orion MPCV (Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle) is based on the Orion design requirements for traveling beyond low Earth orbit (LEO). Orion will serve as the exploration vehicle that will carry the crew to space, provide emergency abort capability, sustain the crew during the space travel, and provide safe re-entry from deep space return velocities.
  • Spacecraft to serve as the primary crew vehicle for missions beyond LEO
  • Capable of conducting regular in-space operations (rendezvous, docking, extravehicular activity) in conjunction with payloads delivered by the Space Launch System (SLS) for missions beyond LEO
  • Capability to be a backup system for International Space Station cargo and crew delivery
Please stop, because I don't know what you're going on about.
Are we not reading the same thing? Bolded for emphasis.

As I said. It's perfectly capable of going to ISS, but that's not it's intended purpose. It will only fill that role if commercial space is unable to.
Old January 9 2014, 07:19 PM   #15
gturner
Admiral

The Orion is overkill for an ISS mission. For the same cost NASA could buy a dozen or two Soyuz seats from the Russians.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote