Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 27 2014, 12:50 AM   #31
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: Jupiter Ascending trailer

New trailer:

Old March 27 2014, 01:23 AM   #32
JD
Admiral

This looks like what that will be worth if for the visuals alone.
Old March 27 2014, 02:23 AM   #33
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

This still looks like it might be too weird and nerdy to appeal to a mainstream audience (which was a problem for Pacific Rim, and that looked way less weird), but I for one am very excited about that trailer.

The Wachowskis may not always hit the mark, but they certainly try for something big, exciting, and new with every one of their movies.
Old March 27 2014, 03:19 AM   #34
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Weird and nerdy is hardly a plausible problem in a time when the Avengers dominate the box office and vampires and fairy-tale characters helm popular primetime television shows. Pacific Rim's problem, such as it was -- and it hardly proved crippling in the end -- was that it occupied a very specific niche of nerd appeal.
Old March 27 2014, 05:41 AM   #35
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

The trailers look fun. The music and visuals are a great draw, hopefully the film is as enjoyable as these brief bits.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 07:09 AM   #36
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Looks fantastic.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean much at all. It may flop simply because it doesn't "look fantastic, and has a well-known superhero"
Old March 27 2014, 10:23 PM   #37
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Have a Horrible Christmas wrote: View Post
So is Channing Tatum some sort of space elf, or is he a rogue Vulcan.
I think I've read somewhere that he's an albino human-wolf hybrid. Pretty crazy stuff!

Jupiter Ascending looks like another box office disaster in the making, but also like a movie that I can't wait to see. I don't know how the Wachowskis keep getting these huge budgets for their giant weird spectacle movies, but I'm loving it!
You know it's bad when after one success - "The Matrix Trilogy" (and while I liked the first two films in there somewhat the third just got ridiculous); these are the same guys who gave us the big budget flops of:

"Speed Racer"

and their last 'sci-fi' epic bomb: "Cloud Atlas" that reportedly cost $100 million to make, but grossed 27 million BO in the US and 130 million worldwide (and sorry, but I've seen the film and didn't think it was either 'too complex' or 'ahead of it's time' that audiences didn't understand it)

So, yeah, their latest effort to me comes across as a big budget 1950ies style space opera piece that is hardly original with the "Oh, Earth is a backwater primitive planet being protected/controlled/exploited, et al by a more advanced civilization (or star nation); and someone of import from said civilization was 'hidden' of Earth for some reason to protect/fix something bad at a later time; and that time has come.

Here's another film where I'll probably wait until it's on cable to take a look at it. YMMV.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 11:18 PM   #38
Reverend
Rear Admiral

It's strange, in theory I should be excited to see this but for some reason...I don't know, it just leaves me cold. I don't have a problem with the Wachowskis even though yes, The Matrix 2 & 3 were overcooked and I never did bother with Speed Racer, so it's not that.

The visuals look certainly look Oscar worth and the concept, while it feels very familiar in a general sort of way, it still looks like a unique approach to the age old "chosen one" type story.

It might be because for a second there it looked like the film might actually have a good female protagonist, until I got the distinct impression she may just end up being a Macguffin with a pout. Or it may be I've hit tentpole movie burnout.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 11:17 PM   #39
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Gives me a bit of a YA vibe which can't be a bad thing for its box office poential.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 11:51 PM   #40
JD
Admiral

I realized the other day that this is the first thing the Wachowski's have done since Bound that wasn't based on something else.
Old March 29 2014, 12:04 AM   #41
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I realized the other day that this is the first thing the Wachowski's have done since Bound that wasn't based on something else.
It's partly based on Snow White. The Matrix was influenced by various sources, but it wasn't a direct adaptation.
Old March 30 2014, 09:55 PM   #42
JD
Admiral

I thought The Matrix was a direct adaptation of a comic book called The Matrix?
Old March 30 2014, 10:30 PM   #43
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I thought The Matrix was a direct adaptation of a comic book called The Matrix?
No, there were comics based on the movies, but the movies aren't adapted from anything.
Old March 30 2014, 11:35 PM   #44
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Here's another film where I'll probably wait until it's on cable to take a look at it. YMMV.
Be sure to keep complaining about how genre films don't make any money while spouting that exact line all in the same breath. It doesn't make you a hypocrite at all!
Old March 31 2014, 12:44 AM   #45
Harvey
Admiral

Uh...what?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote