Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 18 2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs - RIP

Story

Ronnie Biggs has passed away today at age 84. Ronnie was the most famous of the 14 men from the 1963 train robbery due to his life on the lam and even his performing a song with the Sex Pistols.

He had a hell of a life.

R.I.P.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs - RIP

Whilst it is said for his family, lets put it into context he was invovled in a violent robbery, spend most of his life on the run. Didn't serve his full prison sentance for his part in the robbery.

So Is it really right we are having a thread about the passing of a common criminal?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 09:19 PM   #3
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

The part of the article that stands for me is this:
Britain's Telegraph newspaper, in its obituary, makes the point that while Biggs won notoriety for the heist and his subsequent life on the run, "people tended to forget that he had seriously wounded the train-driver, Jack Mills, who died six years later having never recovered his health."
So, yeah, not really caring that the dick finally died. Too bad the innocent train-driver didn't live to 84.
Old December 18 2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Another article I read left me with the impression that it was one of the other guys from the team who hit the train driver over the head.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I don't think it matters who actually wielded the blow, all the train robbers are responsible for injuries Jack Mills received.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 09:43 PM   #6
StolenThunder
Poster

Thief who escaped from prison, unrepentant. Not a man to be cherished.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I don't think it matters who actually wielded the blow, all the train robbers are responsible for injuries Jack Mills received.
Fair point.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 11:10 PM   #8
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I doubt many will morn his passing, he and his fellow criminals actions directly lead to that poor drivers subsequent early passing while he lived off said notoriety, plus i have always been disgusted by how some of them were made into celebrity criminals.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 11:48 PM   #9
StarMan
Vice Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
The part of the article that stands for me is this:
Britain's Telegraph newspaper, in its obituary, makes the point that while Biggs won notoriety for the heist and his subsequent life on the run, "people tended to forget that he had seriously wounded the train-driver, Jack Mills, who died six years later having never recovered his health."
So, yeah, not really caring that the dick finally died. Too bad the innocent train-driver didn't live to 84.
My sentiments as well.
Old December 19 2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Starkers
Admiral

Yup, convicted criminal who spent years on the run living it up aboard, until he got ill and decided it was time to return to the UK and sponge off the NHS.

Amazing timing given the BBC showed the first part of a drama about the robbery last night!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Pingfah
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Whilst it is said for his family, lets put it into context he was invovled in a violent robbery, spend most of his life on the run. Didn't serve his full prison sentance for his part in the robbery.

So Is it really right we are having a thread about the passing of a common criminal?
Common criminal or not, he is a well known figure, and for good reason. So his passing is bound to generate discussion.

I fully agree though that the hero worship he inspires is in incredibly poor taste. He was a cowardly thug. Nobody involved with the crime should be celebrated at all. Apparently Phil Collins didn't get that message.
Old December 19 2013, 01:31 PM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Given how many films, games, novels and TV shows are out there that celebrate criminals who get away with it, I'm not surprised at all. Whatever money he has left, shouldn't it go to the family of the man they killed?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 02:44 PM   #13
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post

Common criminal or not, he is a well known figure, and for good reason. So his passing is bound to generate discussion.

I fully agree though that the hero worship he inspires is in incredibly poor taste. He was a cowardly thug. Nobody involved with the crime should be celebrated at all. Apparently Phil Collins didn't get that message.
Don't even start me on that movie, they tried to portray them all as something out of a old 1950s eailing comedy.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 03:12 PM   #14
bbailey861
Admiral

My heart goes out to the family of Jack Mills, who have suffered the most and now relive it all over again because of the announced death of this criminal.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Scout101
Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post

No different than Bonnie and Clyde, Jesse James, DB Cooper, any random pirate, take your pick. We've always had a bit of a thing for romanticising the criminal/outlaw types. Especially when they get away with it (at least at first). Nothing new or special here.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote