TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 9 2013, 08:34 PM   #46
Iamnotspock
Captain

Re: A thought on regenerations (spoilers for "Night/Day of the Doctor"

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Me too, but, we seem to be in an extreme minority
They were clearly referring to Capaldi, but they wouldn't know about the metacrisis. The Time Lords see thirteen TARDISes and assume that all of the Doctor's natural 13 incarnations have shown up to the party. Little do they know that the '13th' Doctor was technically the fourteenth, and that Tennant counts as two. Whether Smith's Doctor noticed Capaldi turn up and thought, "Hang on a minute; I'm the last one - who's he?!" remains to be seen.
I think you misunderstand what we are saying - that the line "No Sir, all thirteen" is spoken by Peter Capaldi.
Doh! Gotcha. It was neither Capaldi or the General, it was Androgar.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 09:00 PM   #47
Christopher
Writer

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
What I question is more that Moffat is artifically forcing Smith to be the 13 Doctor so that it can happen during Moffat's tenure. Of course, if he knocks it out of the park, no harm done!
It's fiction. It's all artificial.

And like I said, Davies gave us the Metacrisis regeneration. How is it artificial for Moffat to acknowledge something that was already there before him? That's not "forcing" a thing -- it's working with what he had. I do that all the time as a Star Trek novelist. I take the information that's been presented by the shows and films and I delve more deeply into its ramifications or consequences. Far from "forcing" this to happen, I'd say it's more likely that Moffat felt obligated to acknowledge the Metacrisis and its overlooked consequence that the Doctor was one life older than had been acknowledged.

I mean, that's what he did in "The Day of the Doctor" -- he took unresolved loose ends from the RTD era such as the Time War, the oblique references to "the Moment," and the hints about the Doctor's relationship with Queen Elizabeth I, and he fleshed them out and tied them off. The Metacrisis is another loose end. What does it mean? Does it count as a regeneration or not? That's a question fandom has been asking for years, I think, and Moffat is simply giving an answer (if, that is, the reports are true, which seems more likely now that we have a second source). I don't see how it would've been any less "forced" if he'd answered the question the other way.

Yes, the War Doctor was Moffat's idea all the way, but it's an idea that worked on its own merits, so I really don't think it's fair to claim he only did it in order to accelerate the arrival of the Doctor's final life. I think he did it because it was the right decision for that particular story, because it called for a Doctor other than McGann or Eccleston. And that in turn produced the opportunity to deal with the 13-life limit earlier. And when you're writing and the pieces come together to give you a new opportunity, then take it from me, that's something worth seizing.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 09:38 PM   #48
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Sure, but it should feel natural and this feels like Moffat pushing the storyline one way. It may well work out fine! That's what I keep saying. But, right now, that aspect feels forced.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 10:46 PM   #49
Guartho
Rear Admiral

I thought it was pretty clearly supposed to be Capaldi saying the line. We heard the voice of every Doctor in that sequence. His line completes it.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 10:56 PM   #50
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Enforced regeneration: Second
Ship crash: Sixth, Eighth
Personally, I'd say Eight's was enforced. It was either regenerate or die.

The spaceship crash would not have resulted in a regeneration; it would have killed him outright.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 11:23 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer

Guartho wrote: View Post
I thought it was pretty clearly supposed to be Capaldi saying the line. We heard the voice of every Doctor in that sequence. His line completes it.
As Iamnotspock said, it was the general's subordinate Androgar, who'd been present in the War Council scenes all along. I mean, he called the general "sir." Would the Doctor be that deferential? It's also the same voice that subsequently says, "Sir, the Daleks know that something is happening! They're increasing their firepower!" Clearly it's the guy who's reporting to the general.

Besides, it was just meant to be a tease. One glimpse at the new Doctor's eyes, and that's all. We still don't know anything about his costume, his accent, any of that. So his voice was not meant to be included in the sequence. That would've been giving away too much.

Old December 10 2013, 12:20 AM   #52
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The Doctor would say "Sir" (he is a gentleman, after all). The third Doctor said it often, even to people he was bickering with. However, it wasn't Capaldi.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 01:53 AM   #53
jbny67
Commander

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The Doctor would say "Sir" (he is a gentleman, after all). The third Doctor said it often, even to people he was bickering with. However, it wasn't Capaldi.
Yes, but Pertwee had a way of delivering it where the "Sir" almost became an insult.
jbny67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 04:57 AM   #54
Christopher
Writer

The way the line of dialogue is delivered is not that of a gentleman saying "sir" to a peer, but a subordinate giving a report to a military superior. I'm frankly startled that anyone would've thought it was the Doctor's voice. (Besides, when the line was spoken, the General looked to his left, as if at a person standing next to him, rather than up at the screens as he would have if the voice had come from there.)

Old December 10 2013, 09:24 AM   #55
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Guartho wrote: View Post
As Iamnotspock said, it was the general's subordinate Androgar, who'd been present in the War Council scenes all along. I mean, he called the general "sir." Would the Doctor be that deferential? It's also the same voice that subsequently says, "Sir, the Daleks know that something is happening! They're increasing their firepower!" Clearly it's the guy who's reporting to the general.

Except he has the next line and his tone and accent are completely different and he say Sir in a completely different way...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 01:59 PM   #56
C_Miller
Captain

My one concern with Matt Smith being the 13th Doctor is that they didn't get the opportunity to do a story arc about this. It has such potential for dramatic storytelling that it's kind of sad that there's only one episode between finding out that Matt Smith is "The Last Doctor" and the resolution of that plotline.

Imagine Capaldi being extremely timid and scared to do anything for a little while because he doesn't have anymore regeneration in his body. However, his very nature is at odds with that and he has to continuously rise above it.

Add that to the finding Gallifrey story and Capaldi's run pretty much writes itself. I'm very excited for Capaldi, but it's hard not to get a little concerned by Moffat rushing such a fantastic plotline that could be catered to the slow build.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 02:07 PM   #57
Starkers
Admiral

I agree up to a point, but it might give the impression he was only looking for Gallifrey so he could get another regen cycle!
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 02:46 PM   #58
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

C_Miller wrote: View Post
My one concern with Matt Smith being the 13th Doctor is that they didn't get the opportunity to do a story arc about this. It has such potential for dramatic storytelling that it's kind of sad that there's only one episode between finding out that Matt Smith is "The Last Doctor" and the resolution of that plotline.

Imagine Capaldi being extremely timid and scared to do anything for a little while because he doesn't have anymore regeneration in his body. However, his very nature is at odds with that and he has to continuously rise above it.

Add that to the finding Gallifrey story and Capaldi's run pretty much writes itself. I'm very excited for Capaldi, but it's hard not to get a little concerned by Moffat rushing such a fantastic plotline that could be catered to the slow build.
You said it better than I. That's the downside with artificially rushing it.

Mr Awe
Old December 10 2013, 03:15 PM   #59
diankra
Commodore

C_Miller wrote: View Post
Between us knowing it and the end; the Doctor has presumably always known.
With hindsight, that adds something to Tennant's "I don't want to go," and if you think about it a recurrent theme throughout Smith's time has been that imminent death has been breathing down the Doctor's shoulders; his own supposed death at Lake Silencio, his future grave on Trenzalore, his repeated meetings with River (the woman whose ultimate fate he saw on the day he first met her), Rory and Amy's fates being set in stone by their sight of their own deaths. Also, stretching it a bit, Rory's repeated deaths, the other Amy in The Girl Who Waited, the Brig's passing, whatever the Doctor saw in his God Complex room (and Amy's sight of the Angels in her room when they would indeed be the ones to get her) and maybe more... It's as if the universe has been saying to him, "Everybody lives is impossible, it can only be everybody lives for now. And you've run out of ways to postpone death any longer."
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 03:36 PM   #60
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ In hindsight, sure, but even more so if we knew at the time!