Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 9 2013, 09:03 AM   #16
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Re: Books you least enjoyed (but managed to finish)

Silas Marner, I never imagined a book so short could feel so long. Elliot is a fine writer, but the character digressions. So often I wondered 'Why is she telling me all this?'

Buddenbrooks, I slugged through half of it in German for class, gave up and cheated with the English, that didn't help as Mann is that boring. Had to slug through others, none did I like, but this was the one I liked least though The Magic Mountain comes pretty close.

One Hundred Years of Solitude, felt like a century getting to the end. What, in God's name, is the fascination?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 04:23 PM   #17
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Hm... if we don't count school-required reading, I don't figure there's many books I muscled all the way through without liking. HP5 was a grind, and after the endless camping section of HP7, I just wanted it to be over, and groaned my way through the epilogue.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I loved the Golden Compass and its concept, but I was disappointed in the direction the 2nd book took, and even more disappointed in the 3rd book [...] overall, I feel all three each had a different tone that didn't quite mesh with each other.
I love all three HDM books, but it was definitely a shock to go from the lyrical fantasy of Northern Lights (The Golden Compass) to Lyra marveling about how awesome movies are, and then Will's wound that won't stop bleeding despite the witches' spell was pretty freaking grim/scary. It was almost as if the reader was being chastised for having enjoyed the magical and wondrous aspects of NL a bit too much. That said, what was there was pretty brilliant, and one can hardly be too much Lyra (even if the very short "Lyra's Oxford" story was pointless and lame as all heck).
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Gov Radner wrote: View Post
One Hundred Years of Solitude, felt like a century getting to the end. What, in God's name, is the fascination?
See, I loved that book. I think it works well if you look at it as an epic instead of a novel.

The Return of the Native was the dullest slog I've ever had to endure, though.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence. I had to read it in high school and it was very painful.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 06:08 PM   #20
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Dune. I finished it but it was a major effort.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 10:05 PM   #21
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Das Glasperlenspiel by Hermann Hesse. I forced myself to finish it. I still have no idea what it was about. I guess it might make more sense under the influence of LSD.
Old December 9 2013, 10:22 PM   #22
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think I agree about Farenheit 451, but I liked 1984.

Other classics I didn't like: Dune, anything I've read by Asimov. A lot of the classic scifi authors just don't appeal to me because the dialog and character behavior comes off as so forced and contrived it's all way too on the nose about what the author is trying to express.

Do books you're forced to read in school count? Most of the books I've made it all the way through I've enjoyed on at least some level.

I suppose I didn't get into Libra the same way I enjoyed Delillo's other books. It was just kinda meh to me, though it was an interesting concept. Maybe because JFK is before my time, I just don't care about all the conspiracy theories and mystique surrounding his assassination.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 10:33 PM   #23
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I loved Dune, although I actually preferred some of the later books.

The only thing I liked of Asimov's were his Norby Chronicles, but those are light and fluffy and not "serious" science fiction. They were pretty amusing, as I recall.

Arthur C. Clarke's Imperial Earth was interminably dull, a peculiar feat given how entertaining Clarke usually is. It was a book that had nearly no plot, and very little of interest going on. Not one of his better works. It was also a bit lacking in the sex department.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 10:39 PM   #24
foxhot
Fleet Captain

MOBY DICK just did not work for me.

But SIDDHARTHA, also by Hermann Hesse, not only worked but was finished in two days. 150 pages if memory serves.
Old December 9 2013, 11:06 PM   #25
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I loved the Golden Compass and its concept, but I was disappointed in the direction the 2nd book took, and even more disappointed in the 3rd book [...] overall, I feel all three each had a different tone that didn't quite mesh with each other.
I love all three HDM books, but it was definitely a shock to go from the lyrical fantasy of Northern Lights (The Golden Compass) to Lyra marveling about how awesome movies are, and then Will's wound that won't stop bleeding despite the witches' spell was pretty freaking grim/scary. It was almost as if the reader was being chastised for having enjoyed the magical and wondrous aspects of NL a bit too much. That said, what was there was pretty brilliant, and one can hardly be too much Lyra (even if the very short "Lyra's Oxford" story was pointless and lame as all heck).

Yeah, I definitely wanted more wonderment. You get a lot of that throughout the first book, and it really was a great concept. And by the end, you really want to find out what happens on the other side. But when you get to the other side... pzzzzt, fizzle fizzle. You're right, and I didn't realize it until what you said, but part of the problem is that the magic is gone, and the story changing track is part of that problem. I happen to think that too much time was spent in our world, which took away from the story. Just so much a change in mood between the books. I was actually pretty frustrated at times while reading the second book. I think it's one of those trilogies that would really be hard to film. I liked the first movie well enough, but whatever comes after wouldn't carry very well in terms of content presented. Plus you'd likely get people complaining about the same thing in the end, ie where's the magic. I would've loved to see more of the technology available in Lara's world, because what it had presented in the first book and what was seen on screen had lots of potential which was never really used. I also think the first book had the best characters. Hell, you could make a great spinoff featuring Lee Scoresby.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; December 9 2013 at 11:20 PM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 11:27 PM   #26
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Man In The High Castle. I enjoyed the beginning of it because I though it was going somewhere... but then I realized that its not. I finished it but did not enjoy the overall experience in retrospect.
Old December 10 2013, 02:48 AM   #27
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Also, as much as I love Gene Wolfe, sometimes I wish over the course of four books his plots would go somewhere and stay there for more than five minutes.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 02:56 AM   #28
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

The Janus Gate (L.A. Graf)
It usually takes me less than a day to read a Star Trek novel. This trilogy took me well over a month. I kept falling asleep.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 05:44 AM   #29
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Gov Radner wrote: View Post
See, I loved that book. I think it works well if you look at it as an epic instead of a novel.

The Return of the Native was the dullest slog I've ever had to endure, though.
That just goes with Hardy. A background of German history helped give context for appreciation of Buddenbrooks. I have almost nil about South America and Colombia, so the allusions 'Solitude' was concerned with were lost on me.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 05:49 AM   #30
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I rarely finish a book that I hate, but there are a few that slip through, especially if I had to read them for school such as Catcher in the Rye. I'm trying to think of something I finished more recently that I really disliked, but nothing comes to mind. I was reading a book by Ed McBain that I found atrocious and put it down lest I roll my eyes too hard.