Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 11 2013, 08:29 PM   #106
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Re: "Are you coming or going?"

HoHoHocutus wrote: View Post

Funny, I can't remember seeing that at ANY medium to major shopping center I have ever been to, in my area or in other states. They all have two-way lanes between the parking spots on either side. And those are the kinds of places where you'd most likely find huge crowds of shoppers and cars (sorry, "cages") waiting in line.

Are we talking tiny little strip malls and small business parking lots?
We fell into the common trap of generalizing. In Canada I have never seen any angled parking, so when I encountered it in Kentucky and Indiana I generalized it as being an overall "American" thing. Just like some Yanks I work with assume that milk in Canada comes in bags (yes, it comes in plastic bags) when in fact that's mostly an Ontario thing and completely absent from certain provinces.

To answer your question, these were not small plazas, these were main shopping centres, Home Depots, Walmarts, etc.

The parking lot at the Mississippi Toyota plant is also angled with one-way aisles... I got a "ticket" for parking the "wrong way", ie. I pulled through and was facing against the flow of traffic in the one way aisle.
Old December 11 2013, 08:41 PM   #107
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
If I catch someone stalking behind me waiting for me to pull out, I shut the engine off and stare at them through the rearview mirror until they go away.

I think it's disgusting! I never lurk by people, waiting for them to pull out. I never ever let anyone do that to me. I will sit there all night til they move on before I let them pull in right after I pull out.

Sorry it just really irritates me.

So... you are a complete and utter prick?

If the parking lot is full and someone needs to park there is nothing, zero, zip, nada, nill, nic wrong with them waiting for you to pull out of your spot if you have completed your shopping and are about to drive off.
Old December 11 2013, 08:50 PM   #108
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I'm not a prick!

Now I feel bad and deleted my other post.

I just don't like when someone is behind me honking or something for me to pull out for them. I never do that to anyone.

If someone is waiting someplace near me but not right up my butt, then of course I pull out. I just don't like when they either honk or get SO CLOSE that I can barely pull out at all.
Old December 11 2013, 08:52 PM   #109
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

Yeah, I would say that if you're already in your car, engine on, ready to go...there's nothing wrong with someone waiting. That's the equivalent of you leaving your table at a restaurant, and it's being bussed and is just about ready for the next patron. It gets irritating when, to use the same analogy, you haven't even finished eating yet and someone is vying for your table. My wife and I had that happen to us a few weeks ago; two guys stood right by our table in the bar area discussing how they were going to take our table when we left, and we hadn't even paid the damn bill yet. It feels the same when someone sits and waits for your spot before you've even finished putting your stuff away.
Old December 11 2013, 08:54 PM   #110
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I feel bad... I am sorry I said that.

It's just happened to me so much and I never do it to anyone else. It's a pet peeve. Sorry~!
Old December 11 2013, 08:58 PM   #111
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Yeah, I would say that if you're already in your car, engine on, ready to go...there's nothing wrong with someone waiting. That's the equivalent of you leaving your table at a restaurant, and it's being bussed and is just about ready for the next patron. It gets irritating when, to use the same analogy, you haven't even finished eating yet and someone is vying for your table. My wife and I had that happen to us a few weeks ago; two guys stood right by our table in the bar area discussing how they were going to take our table when we left, and we hadn't even paid the damn bill yet. It feels the same when someone sits and waits for your spot before you've even finished putting your stuff away.

I don't think the two are comparable at all.

When I'm out and about, and I see someone waiting for me to leave so they can park in my spot, I sure as shit don't waste time just sitting there making them wait. Apart from starting my car and buckling my seatbelt, I fucking go. Why? Because there's nothing I could be doing in that moment that I can't also do pulled over on the side of the road once I exit the parking lot/structure and that's only if I really have to.

But that's just me. I try to be considerate of other people's time.

In a restaurant, I don't waste my time or energy worrying about what other patrons are doing.

Flux it strikes me that you really, REALLY spend a lot of time worried about what other people think, say, and do to the point of omitting any enjoyment for yourself in favor of just getting riled up about non-issues. This is all a perfect example of such.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:02 PM   #112
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I feel bad... I am sorry I said that.

It's just happened to me so much and I never do it to anyone else. It's a pet peeve. Sorry~!
It's okay. I think the good thing about a forum like this is that you see a lot of different perspectives, and you can use them to inform your own future behavior. It's understandable that you feel rushed, but most people aren't actually trying to make you uncomfortable. I'd wager that many of the people waiting for a spot would rather not be doing that and it makes them uncomfortable too.

The best thing to do is probably just get ready to move out of the spot in a reasonable amount of time. They'll just have to wait for you, and that's okay. Don't make it unnecessarily long. Not a big deal.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:07 PM   #113
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Well all right then. You seem like a stand-up lass, all wrought with guilt and all that. Clearly not a prick.

Old December 11 2013, 09:10 PM   #114
sojourner
Vice Admiral

If someone were obnoxiously standing over my table waiting to take it I'd order more food/drinks.
Old December 11 2013, 09:15 PM   #115
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

When I'm out and about, and I see someone waiting for me to leave so they can park in my spot, I sure as shit don't waste time just sitting there making them wait. Apart from starting my car and buckling my seatbelt, I fucking go. Why? Because there's nothing I could be doing in that moment that I can't also do pulled over on the side of the road once I exit the parking lot/structure and that's only if I really have to.

In a restaurant, I don't waste my time or energy worrying about what other patrons are doing.

Flux it strikes me that you really, REALLY spend a lot of time worried about what other people think, say, and do to the point of omitting any enjoyment for yourself in favor of just getting riled up about non-issues. This is all a perfect example of such.
The parking spot and the table are totally comparable. They are both public spaces that we occupy for a certain amount of time, and when we vacate them, other people then take our place. How is that any different?

If I am in a spot and am opening my door and getting in, yeah, I will GTFO and let them have the spot. What people seem to be missing is it is only irritating to me when I am not even at my car yet (when people basically stalk you as you walk from the store to your car) or I am in the middle of loading my cargo and not close to getting into my car. That is when it is exactly like the scenario with the restaurant table. I am still using this spot. My car needs to remain in it so that I can finish loading my cargo. With the table...I am still occupying the table and using it to eat on. I need to remain at the table so I can finish my meal and pay my check. In both instances, it's irritating to have people hovering over you waiting for their turn.

sojourner wrote: View Post
If someone were obnoxiously standing over my table waiting to take it I'd order more food/drinks.
My wife and I definitely took our time. The guys then saw someone else getting up from their table and tried to swoop on them. Turns out the woman was just going to the bathroom.

But why is it okay to take your time when someone is hovering over you to finish your meal so that they can take your table...and why is it okay to be irritated by that....but not be irritated by someone doing the same thing regarding your parking spot? If I am loading up my stuff, I am just as finished using that spot as I am done using that table.
Old December 11 2013, 09:28 PM   #116
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Bisz wrote: View Post
If I catch someone stalking behind me waiting for me to pull out, I shut the engine off and stare at them through the rearview mirror until they go away.

I think it's disgusting! I never lurk by people, waiting for them to pull out. I never ever let anyone do that to me. I will sit there all night til they move on before I let them pull in right after I pull out.

Sorry it just really irritates me.

So... you are a complete and utter prick?

There's a flag on the play. Flaming. Out of line. Five yard penalty. Comments to PM.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:33 PM   #117
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

The parking spot and the table are totally comparable. They are both public spaces that we occupy for a certain amount of time, and when we vacate them, other people then take our place. How is that any different?

If I am in a spot and am opening my door and getting in, yeah, I will GTFO and let them have the spot. What people seem to be missing is it is only irritating to me when I am not even at my car yet (when people basically stalk you as you walk from the store to your car) or I am in the middle of loading my cargo and not close to getting into my car. That is when it is exactly like the scenario with the restaurant table. I am still using this spot. My car needs to remain in it so that I can finish loading my cargo. With the table...I am still occupying the table and using it to eat on. I need to remain at the table so I can finish my meal and pay my check. In both instances, it's irritating to have people hovering over you waiting for their turn.
Define "hovering."

sojourner wrote: View Post
My wife and I definitely took our time. The guys then saw someone else getting up from their table and tried to swoop on them. Turns out the woman was just going to the bathroom.

But why is it okay to take your time when someone is hovering over you to finish your meal so that they can take your table...and why is it okay to be irritated by that....but not be irritated by someone doing the same thing regarding your parking spot? If I am loading up my stuff, I am just as finished using that spot as I am done using that table.[/QUOTE]

Are you at a fancy restaurant? Or a midscale place like Applebee's or Chile's, where you have to be seated by a host?

Or is this only happening at In-N-Out when school lets out? Because you know, In-N-Out at 3pm tends to be packed.

More importantly: How many times has this actually happened to you and your wife that it has become such a blight on your very existence? Why is it so annoying to you that people "creep" after you to get your parking spot if you are actually leaving? What's the harm?
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:39 PM   #118
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

What people seem to be missing is it is only irritating to me when I am not even at my car yet (when people basically stalk you as you walk from the store to your car) or I am in the middle of loading my cargo and not close to getting into my car.
What you seem to be missing is that if you don't stake out the spot early on, and instead continue to circle around until it becomes available, then someone else who doesn't know that you've been circling around waiting for the spot to open might be able to take the spot before you swing around again. If you don't lock it down you lose it. Yeah, it might be slightly irritating to the person in the spot who feels rushed, but there really isn't an alternative unless you're willing to waste an hour futzing around circling the parking lot waiting to get lucky and hit the open spot at precisely the right time you circle around and aren't cut off by another driver.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:39 PM   #119
sojourner
Vice Admiral

But why is it okay to take your time when someone is hovering over you to finish your meal so that they can take your table...and why is it okay to be irritated by that....but not be irritated by someone doing the same thing regarding your parking spot? If I am loading up my stuff, I am just as finished using that spot as I am done using that table.
1. they have to be obnoxious about it. Patiently waiting at a polite distance is another matter.
2. you admitted you didn't act that way over the parking space. Instead you let the situation intimidate you.
Old December 11 2013, 09:39 PM   #120
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Guys, let's be fair on the "cage/cager" thing. I mean it's only implying that the vast majority of us who are in cars are really in confined spaces used to restrain animals against their will. Why be offended by that or take it as derogatory?

And, Flux, on the lane splitting thing... You say you do it at around 30mph, what I read on it said you should do it closer to 10. 30 is a pretty good clip to be going I a narrow space between stopped or slow-moving cars.

Last edited by Trekker4747; December 11 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote