Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 9 2013, 11:44 PM   #61
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: "Are you coming or going?"

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Saito S wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Why so grumpy?
Wait...

At the time I assumed that was just a weird typo or something.

Was that actually intentional, and supposed to be some kind of dig at enclosed car drivers vs. the freedom of a motorcycle?
I see you missed Flux's treatise on the virtues of motorcycling.
I have no problem with most of what he said in terms of his personal reasons FOR wanting to get a bike. But this idea (which continues to this day apparently) of calling regular cars and drivers "cages"/"cagers" strikes me as silly, and paints all car drivers with a rather broad brush.

I hope you accept motorcycling into your life.
I'm sorry, I can't do that. I already have a strong road vehicle faith:

Old December 9 2013, 11:48 PM   #62
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

It's like that line from "Synchronicity II" about "packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes." I suspect that's overstating things JUST a tad.

Me, I have absolutely zero desire to get onto a motorcycle - be it as a passenger or a driver. Hell, I'd even sell my CAR if we had decent mass transit around here. Not really seeing the allure of driving or biking. I haven't even ridden my bicycle in years.
Old December 9 2013, 11:49 PM   #63
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Rķu rķu, chķu wrote: View Post

Me, I have absolutely zero desire to get onto a motorcycle - be it as a passenger or a driver. Hell, I'd even sell my CAR if we had decent mass transit around here. Not really seeing the allure of driving or biking. I haven't even ridden my bicycle in years.

I'd certainly be open to giving it a try myself. I just don't have the time, resources, income or interest to do so properly at the moment.

That being said, I do dislike most motorcycle drivers in my area. I'm terrified that I'll be driving some day minding my own business and will accidentally back out over or hit a biker who decides to zig-zag through traffic (as they are legally allowed to do, admittedly) but who still frequently I find, barely avoid getting hit by others.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 11:54 PM   #64
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

You live in L.A., don't you, 005? I was there this summer, and - please don't take this the wrong way, but L.A. traffic scared me more than any other traffic I'd ever seen in my life. So I don't blame you for not really being in a hurry to motorcycle.

(I personally was not driving at that time. I was on a tour bus. But that was enough. )
Old December 10 2013, 12:01 AM   #65
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I'm convinced that if I drove a car someone would be dead. Or at best, maimed. Probably a motorcycle or bicycle rider. Heck last time I was riding my bike I kept getting convinced I would soon be dead because I am so bad at paying attention to all the things you simultaneously need to pay attention to in traffic situations.

I've ridden on motorcycles and really, I have no joy in going fast at all. It's wasted on me.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 12:04 AM   #66
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

You live in L.A., don't you, 005? I was there this summer, and - please don't take this the wrong way, but L.A. traffic scared me more than any other traffic I'd ever seen in my life. So I don't blame you for not really being in a hurry to motorcycle.

(I personally was not driving at that time. I was on a tour bus. But that was enough. )
L.A. traffic isn't so bad once you get used to it. I marveled at how much faster people drive here compared to back home when I first moved here, but then I realized, the majority of people here cover far greater distances daily (partly because of how broadly Los Angeles is laid out as a city) than anywhere else I've been. It's just something we live with here.
Old December 10 2013, 12:05 AM   #67
sojourner
Admiral

Shit, L.A. traffic is absolutely pedestrian compared to Napoli, Italy, or more likely, any city in Italy.

I owned a streetbike for about 2 months. Never took to it. Too unsafe. Dirtbikes are great fun though.
Old December 10 2013, 12:12 AM   #68
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

L.A. traffic isn't so bad once you get used to it. I marveled at how much faster people drive here compared to back home when I first moved here, but then I realized, the majority of people here cover far greater distances daily (partly because of how broadly Los Angeles is laid out as a city) than anywhere else I've been. It's just something we live with here.
Yeah, I figured as much. I guess I was just not acclimating well to being in CA. (The whole time I was there, the most 'at ease' I ever felt was in San Diego.)
Old December 10 2013, 12:12 AM   #69
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Jesus, this is the epitome of "First World Problems".

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
This spot wasn't particularly close to the entrance at all. The issue is not so much the waiting, but the choice to wait for someone who isn't even close to leaving yet.
I bolded the relevant part here. They made a choice, they deal with it.

I ranted because I find it rude that I now have to rush to get ready to go, or in the past have had to rush to stow my purchases all because someone has laid claim to my spot before I've even gotten in the damn car.
I don't mean literally taking my sweet time, but to an outside observer it might seem that way. But that's the thing...the guy waiting there now forces me to "hurry the fuck up" thus making it rude IMO.
Except you didn't have to do jack shit. No one forced you to do anything, YOU chose to do these things in both scenarios. If you need someone to rant about, look in the mirror and go to town, because that's the guy who made you do these things.

I once had it happen when I was going out to my car simply to place my jacket inside, as it had gotten too warm to wear and too cumbersome to carry while shopping. The guy asked if I was coming or going, as well, and I replied with, "Staying, actually. Sorry." and walked away. He gave me a dirty look and sped off.
So? You clearly spend too much time worrying about what other people think, even in the most trivial of instances. See below...

As traffic piles up behind him and now I'm the jerk who is taking his sweet time getting ready? No thanks. I'd rather be the martyr and let it be obvious who the jackass was in this situation holding everyone up.
Except you're not a "martyr". You're a guy who's too concerned that some stranger you'll never see again might think you're a jerk and you act based on that. And the reality of it is, even if they do think that, they're not going to be thinking about it all day, taking to Facebook or some science fiction themed BBS complaining about that asshole who made them wait 2 or three minutes while he put on his gear. Not only that, they won't be thinking about it for the next several hours, one hour or even 15 minutes. AT BEST, they'll think "hurry up asshole", park and get on with their lives, with you being nothing more than than the merest blip on the farthest and fuzziest edge of their personal radar. Totally forgotten after a mere two or three minutes because, quite frankly, you aren't that important to them.
Old December 10 2013, 01:03 AM   #70
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I never learned to ride a motorbike, but I've been a passenger often, and it's fun. I have no strong feelings one way or the other, except that calling cars "cages" only makes you look like a... something I can't really mention here.

sojourner wrote: View Post
Shit, L.A. traffic is absolutely pedestrian compared to Napoli, Italy, or more likely, any city in Italy.
The things I've seen. The things I've done.
Old December 10 2013, 01:10 AM   #71
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

Yeah, I figured as much. I guess I was just not acclimating well to being in CA. (The whole time I was there, the most 'at ease' I ever felt was in San Diego.)
That's because San Diego is a paradise compared to the shithole parts of L.A. can be.
Old December 10 2013, 08:36 AM   #72
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Someone waiting on a spot when the lot is at capacity? Hey man, he's gotta do what he's got to do. Someone waiting on a spot when there are 5 empty spots another 20 feet away from the front door? String that motherfucker up.
Old December 10 2013, 09:15 AM   #73
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Are you coming or going?
"I can barely decide. I just drank a fifth of vodka, dare me to drive?"

...Just had to do that tbh
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 06:03 PM   #74
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Something tells me nobody came.
Old December 10 2013, 06:53 PM   #75
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Are American car parks so ill designed that they're aren't wide enough to allow two cars to pass?
As a Canadian, the answer to the above is yes, a lot of US parking lots are dreadfully designed. They have single, one-way aisles and it is impossible to pass anyone who is sitting in the aisle.