TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 9 2013, 03:35 AM   #46
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: "Are you coming or going?"

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
cage drivers
Why so grumpy?
Old December 9 2013, 05:13 AM   #47
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Santa Hooves wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
How much time does it really take to put on gloves, a helmet. start a motorcycle a move? A minute? Two?
The problem is when you're trying to do so, and you have people behind you trying to push you into hurrying. For someone waiting on a parking spot, ten seconds might as well be ten minutes. I've had people push in closer toward my car after only a few seconds. That's dangerous enough, but if one is on a motorcycle and that happens, it's a good way to get someone hurt.
Plus, there's no way in hell I'm going to let someone rush me when I'm putting on my (potentially life-saving) gear. Part of why I backed out when I did was also so I could gear up on my own time.
Well, I was partially genuinely asking.

I, personally, have never been one to wait-out good spots in parking lots and will just take whatever one I can find. Granted this time of year the mall parking lot can be pretty crowded which many necessitate waiting one out or simply driving around until you happen to catch someone pulling out as you pull up. But unless it's a VERY dire circumstance I don't think I've ever stood there and watched someone get in their vehicle, dick around and then finally back out. And, well, there's times I *do* wonder what takes people so long. I can get in my car, buckle-up, start the car and start backing out inside of 30-seconds. Some people seem to take a pretty long time to do all of that.

Motorcycles I can't say as I've never really waited one out. I mostly find myself more annoyed with them thinking a space is open only to see a bike parked in a full-sized spot for a car. (Though motorcycle parking spots aren't very common. They should be.)

The few times I've been waiting on it's never bothered me too much nor do I try and to "hurry up" for the person waiting. It does annoy me when they're stopped too close to me to back-out safely.
Old December 9 2013, 05:13 AM   #48
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

I ranted because I find it rude that I now have to rush to get ready to go, or in the past have had to rush to stow my purchases all because someone has laid claim to my spot before I've even gotten in the damn car. Would you do that for a table at a restaurant? Perhaps I shouldn't ask, because I once had someone do that exact thing to us once, in the very same manner as this guy waited for the parking spot.

I once had it happen when I was going out to my car simply to place my jacket inside, as it had gotten too warm to wear and too cumbersome to carry while shopping. The guy asked if I was coming or going, as well, and I replied with, "Staying, actually. Sorry." and walked away. He gave me a dirty look and sped off.
YOU are the one "rushing"/"feeling rushed". It seems like a matter of placing your own feelings upon the shoulders of another person. In psychology it is called "projecting" = blaming others for what you feel.

Be happy those motorists are waiting patiently, signaling their intent. It could be much worse. You could be a disabled person like me, my godson and others who need a handicapped space close to the store. There are never enough of them and lazy, able-bodied people often use them illegally.
Old December 9 2013, 05:16 AM   #49
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
When I read threads like this it I am pleased that I am a non-driver. I find catching buses relaxing and economical and I don't have to worry about parking.
I agree, miLady, but I live 2.5 miles past the end of the nearest bus route.
Old December 9 2013, 05:42 AM   #50
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

While I have encountered situations like the OP describes and I find them somewhat annoying, I would never consider making a thread on a discussion forum about it because it has got to be the least interesting topic imaginable.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 05:59 AM   #51
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
While I have encountered situations like the OP describes and I find them somewhat annoying, I would never consider making a thread on a discussion forum about it because it has got to be the least interesting topic imaginable.

Last edited by doubleohfive; December 9 2013 at 06:42 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 06:10 AM   #52
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

Well, I was partially genuinely asking.

I, personally, have never been one to wait-out good spots in parking lots and will just take whatever one I can find. Granted this time of year the mall parking lot can be pretty crowded which many necessitate waiting one out or simply driving around until you happen to catch someone pulling out as you pull up. But unless it's a VERY dire circumstance I don't think I've ever stood there and watched someone get in their vehicle, dick around and then finally back out. And, well, there's times I *do* wonder what takes people so long. I can get in my car, buckle-up, start the car and start backing out inside of 30-seconds. Some people seem to take a pretty long time to do all of that.

Motorcycles I can't say as I've never really waited one out. I mostly find myself more annoyed with them thinking a space is open only to see a bike parked in a full-sized spot for a car. (Though motorcycle parking spots aren't very common. They should be.)

The few times I've been waiting on it's never bothered me too much nor do I try and to "hurry up" for the person waiting. It does annoy me when they're stopped too close to me to back-out safely.
Yeah, I'm much more likely to just take a parking space farther out. I figure it's good for me to walk a little further every once in a while. Plus, I always figure if I park really closely, and some disabled little old man or little old lady can't find a good handicapped parking spot, by parking farther out I give them a better chance of finding a decent spot closer to the store.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 06:18 AM   #53
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Well done.
Old December 9 2013, 09:25 AM   #54
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I
I once had it happen when I was going out to my car simply to place my jacket inside, as it had gotten too warm to wear and too cumbersome to carry while shopping.

The guy asked if I was coming or going, as well, and I replied with, "Staying, actually. Sorry." and walked away. He gave me a dirty look and sped off.

THAT ASSHOLE! The nerve!
Old December 9 2013, 02:53 PM   #55
Scout101
Admiral

Eh, it's about at the same level as being in line to put gas in the car, and the guy in front of you finishing, getting in, and then putzing around for a minute before starting the car and driving away. Annoying, slightly, but worth a thread, diagrams, and generally being worked up over? Not in the slightest. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to remember it had happened when i got home most of the time.

Flux, some odd road rage situations you've got going on. You seem overly fixated on everyone else, and want to act as the Courtest Police for some reason. Even though half the time, you're part of the problem or at least not helping matters.

When the lot is full, and you find someone about to leave, waiting for them isn't unusual OR rude. What's the problem?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 04:44 PM   #56
MacLeod
Admiral

Of course the person who is waiting for another person to leave could already have been driving around the car park for several minutes looking for a spot. You simply don't know.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 04:57 PM   #57
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 10:40 PM   #58
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
cage drivers
Why so grumpy?
Wait...

At the time I assumed that was just a weird typo or something.

Was that actually intentional, and supposed to be some kind of dig at enclosed car drivers vs. the freedom of a motorcycle?
Old December 9 2013, 10:48 PM   #59
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

Saito S wrote: View Post
cage drivers
Why so grumpy?
Wait...

Was that actually intentional, and supposed to be some kind of dig at enclosed car drivers vs. the freedom of a motorcycle?
I see you missed Flux's treatise on the virtues of motorcycling.

I hope you accept motorcycling into your life.
Old December 9 2013, 11:27 PM   #60
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Saito S wrote: View Post
Why so grumpy?
Wait...

I see you missed Flux's treatise on the virtues of motorcycling.

I hope you accept motorcycling into your life.
Take note. He's not just a civilian, he's a civilian patriot.