Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 8 2013, 11:37 AM   #31
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Re: "Are you coming or going?"

As others have said, not seeing your problem.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 11:41 AM   #32
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

You must not have seen my question, either. You said people are probably irritated that my bike used up a spot. I ask again: where else am I supposed to park? The benefit of the bike is that you can fit more than one per space, so if another motorcyclist were to need a spot he could share mine, effectively saving a spot for a car. That spot would have been used whether I drove a car or rode a bike.
Old December 8 2013, 11:45 AM   #33
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

The point was that you aren't the only one feeling surly over something which is simply part of being in a parking lot at a crowded time. I don't see your problem, because your issue is as ridiculous as those complaining about the bike.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 11:51 AM   #34
Finn
Vice Admiral

Yes, I agree with others. Not really seeing the problem. And we all can read what you wrote or pasted (the picture).

It's not an worthy issue to rant about or even make a map diagram of.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

I suppose it is just a part of the situation. I just feel that when I have been on the opposite side of it, I would go ahead and circle around in hopes of finding either an empty or soon to be vacated spot rather than sit there and wait while someone has to bust their ass to get out of the spot. It just feels awkward and rude of me to sit there and wait for them when as far as I know there could be an open spot somewhere else. I've also been the guy behind the guy waiting for someone when the people occupying the spot are still fumbling with their keys, and again...it's the guy sitting there waiting that looks like the jerk.
Old December 8 2013, 12:15 PM   #36
Finn
Vice Admiral

^at least, if I read one of your earlier posts right, the guy left enough space for others to pass him. I've seen people park right in middle of the path. The worst is when someone waits too close for me to back out.

We have to get used with it during the holidays with the crowded parking lots.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 03:15 PM   #37
Kestra
Vice Admiral

If you circle around and never wait for anyone, it can be really hard to get a spot. I know this because I am usually that person. It's one of those annoying, imperfect situations where you just do what you need to in the best way possible. It's good to ask if someone is coming or going so traffic isn't held up for no reason. If you're the one leaving, it's not like you have to rush crazily, but it's courteous to not take a ton of time either.

I think one thing for you to consider, Flux, is your own limits. You can't do something "nice" if it makes you mad.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 05:05 PM   #38
nightwind1
Commodore

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Is it common to take up an entire parking space with a motorcycle?
Not only common, but totally acceptable and legal. As a licensed motor vehicle, a motorcycle is legally entitled to as much street, road and parking space as a car or truck.

In fact, when I park my bike in a space, I park it at an angle to block as much of the space as possible so no idiot will try to squeeze into the same space and risk damage to my bike.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.

Last edited by nightwind1; December 8 2013 at 05:16 PM.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 07:56 PM   #39
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Is it common to take up an entire parking space with a motorcycle?
Not only common, but totally acceptable and legal. As a licensed motor vehicle, a motorcycle is legally entitled to as much street, road and parking space as a car or truck.

In fact, when I park my bike in a space, I park it at an angle to block as much of the space as possible so no idiot will try to squeeze into the same space and risk damage to my bike.
Yeah, I don't understand where else people are expecting a bike to park. In a non-high-traffic situation I do the same thing: park the bike diagonally to fill up the whole spot. If it's a full lot like yesterday I'll make an exception and leave at least room for other bikes.
Old December 8 2013, 09:21 PM   #40
Mooch
Fleet Captain

Well I for one agree with the OP. People that follow you to your parking spot are annoying and kind of stalkerish. It's even worse when there's people waiting in both directions, and they are both trying to take your spot. They make it practically impossible to actually get out. I enjoy disappointing them by dropping my stuff off and then going back inside the mall to shop some more. In any case I would think it's obvious who's holding up traffic, and it's not the person who's parked.

Also, if there's no motorcycle parking I don't see anything wrong with parking in a regular spot. What else would you do?
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 09:54 PM   #41
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

How much time does it really take to put on gloves, a helmet. start a motorcycle a move? A minute? Two?
Old December 9 2013, 01:03 AM   #42
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Mooch wrote: View Post
Well I for one agree with the OP. People that follow you to your parking spot are annoying and kind of stalkerish. It's even worse when there's people waiting in both directions, and they are both trying to take your spot. They make it practically impossible to actually get out. I enjoy disappointing them by dropping my stuff off and then going back inside the mall to shop some more. In any case I would think it's obvious who's holding up traffic, and it's not the person who's parked.

Also, if there's no motorcycle parking I don't see anything wrong with parking in a regular spot. What else would you do?
That's exactly what I'm talking about: the people who stalk you to your spot to see if you're leaving and just sit there, and like you said, sometimes end up fighting someone else over the spot. I get that it's a product of the massive amount of people all vying for a spot but it seems like people could go about it differently. And yeah, many times I have been blocked from exiting by the very person who wants my spot. It makes me wonder if they appreciate the irony of the situation.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
How much time does it really take to put on gloves, a helmet. start a motorcycle a move? A minute? Two?
Have you ever ridden a motorcycle on a regular basis? Especially in cold weather?

First had to get the gloves out of my saddlebags, which is when the guy guy pulled up. Opening and closing them can take a few seconds, especially with cold hands. I then had to grab my key, unlock my forks, then put it in the ignition. Then I put on my neck warmer because it was about 32 F out that day. Then I had to unlock my helmet, then stow the lock. Then put it on. Then put on my gloves. Then start the bike, which needed to warm up for a few seconds. So no, it's not exactly a quick process where I can just hop on the bike and go, which is why I backed out of the spot before I had even put on my neck warmer.
Old December 9 2013, 01:05 AM   #43
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The problem is when you're trying to do so, and you have people behind you trying to push you into hurrying. For someone waiting on a parking spot, ten seconds might as well be ten minutes. I've had people push in closer toward my car after only a few seconds. That's dangerous enough, but if one is on a motorcycle and that happens, it's a good way to get someone hurt.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 01:13 AM   #44
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Plus, there's no way in hell I'm going to let someone rush me when I'm putting on my (potentially life-saving) gear. Part of why I backed out when I did was also so I could gear up on my own time.
Old December 9 2013, 03:02 AM   #45
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
This seems like a strange thing to have a rant about.
Welcome to any one of Flux's threads.

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
It's not so much that people wait for spots, it's when they begin to wait so prematurely that the person they're attempting to replace is still a good 4-5 minutes away from becoming mobile and subsequently block traffic behind them as well.
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the holiday season and the fury with which some people fight for parking spaces.

Did you miss this story last weekend?

CBS News wrote:

CLAYPOOL HILL, Va. – Two men were arrested Thanksgiving night at a southwest Virginia Wal-Mart after one stabbed the other over a parking space.

Christopher Jackson, 35, and Ronnie Sharp, 61, allegedly got into a fight at around 6:30 p.m. Thursday after arriving at the store to shop, according to NBC affiliate WVVA.

The confrontation reportedly started out as a small verbal argument over a parking space but then turned physical when Sharp threatened Jackson with a rifle.
The point is that your polite response to the guy and his polite response to you is completely undercut by your sudden concern for everyone else allegedly waiting for him to move his car to your spot.

Who cares? It's the holiday season. Parking is going to be crap no matter where or when you go.

More over, it was nice of you to move your bike and things so he could park. But complaining about it after the fact feels like an unnecessary expenditure of time and energy. It'd be great if people went to shopping centers and parked on the roof first, or in the outer spots first and worked their way in, but it doesn't work like that.

So, ultimately, I have to ask...

In this particular lot, the cars queuing up behind the guy eventually ended up having to swing around him in the oncoming side of the aisle, but it wasn't happening in a very orderly or consistent manner.
I am fairly certain even the California DMV instructs learning drivers how to handle situations such as this.

I was physically shopping because my wife had seen an item the previous day that she liked but didn't buy since we were shopping for others, so I wanted to grab it while she was at work.
That's very thoughtful of you. I hope she enjoys it.

Gov Radner wrote: View Post
If the lot is crowded, or at a peak time, it's unsurprising someone might wait for a spot that's going to become available. Especially so, if it is somewhat close to the entrance someone wants to go to.
This spot wasn't particularly close to the entrance at all. The issue is not so much the waiting, but the choice to wait for someone who isn't even close to leaving yet.
Again - who cares? The guy made plain that he didn't mind waiting. What's so bad about that?

More importantly, how many times have we all waited for a parking space on a busy day when we know the other driver is clearly leaving, but still takes their sweet time to go? I think you guys handled the first part of this admirably, and it was even nice of you to move in the interest of everyone else. That kind of thoughtfulness is rare these days, but to come here and bitch about it like a child totally takes the wind out of those thoughtful sails, man.

teacake wrote: View Post
Flux you seem unnecessarily stressed over a very common occurrence. Don't worry if the guy is being rude, just wave to him and say "I'll be going in a minute, just getting ready! Happy Holidays!" And then when you do go give him a big waving him on in wave to the parking space.
As traffic piles up behind him and now I'm the jerk who is taking his sweet time getting ready? No thanks. I'd rather be the martyr and let it be obvious who the jackass was in this situation holding everyone up.
Except, he wasn't a jackass. He asked if you were coming or going and you told him you were going but you'd be a few minutes. I am absolutely not seeing what the big deal is, nor how it makes him a jackass for being ok waiting for you to go.

Is it inconvenient to make others wait while he waited for the spot? Yes. But you yourself said (and its clearly visible in the google map image you showed above) that other people could have passed if they didn't want to wait.

Still not seeing what the fuss is about. It's Christmas! Holiday cheer. Good will toward men and all that. Maybe instead of getting pissed off, just feel good that you helped make the guy's day a little easier at little expense to yourself.

Finally, our personal conflicts aside, I would submit that perhaps you would do well to consider in the future that as is often the case with your threads, the typcial "Flux + Unkown 3rd Party = ZOMG CRISIS" has become a demonstrable pattern here. It's like there's not even any capacity (pun intended) for you to acknowledge that you might be wrong, misreading the scenario, or that you are only bringing your own side of it to discuss here. In this particular instance, it is obvious that you're the only one who is upset, and it's hard to not just interpret this as another instance of your making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited by doubleohfive; December 9 2013 at 05:42 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote