Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old December 12 2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Stellar Cartography

^Stellar Cartography's maps are based on the ones from Geoffrey Mandel's 2002 Star Charts, but in a classier format, and with some new information added, such as the location of the Delphic Expanse, a map of events from the Dominion War, and a Romulan War map based on last year's Federation: The First 150 Years book from the same publisher (not Pocket). Plus "historical" maps supposedly made by the Vulcans, Klingons, Cardassians, etc. Although it's intended more as a coffee-table art book kind of project than a detailed technical-manual kind of thing, so I gather the maps are less detailed in other respects than the ones in Star Charts, as well as less comprehensive (no Gamma or Delta Quadrant coverage).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 05:07 PM   #17
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

I do like the idea of "maps as cultural artworks" playing out in this particular edition via the "Known Space" Andorian art, as well as the Vulcan, Romulan, Klingon and Romulan samplings.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 06:06 PM   #18
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

On a related note: wondering how ESA's Gaia mission will affect future editions of similar-minded projects.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old December 22 2013, 10:44 PM   #19
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

I did notice in the companion book that the author mentioned the Xindi attack was in 2163, which I would imagine is just a typo. I was a little disappointed the Delta & Gamma Quadrants were mostly ignored, brief mentions & a large view map showing them a little. However it was nice to see where they decided to place The Expanse, was also nice to see where they placed the Bassen Rift (from Nemesis) & Hobus, the star that took out Romulus via a 'subspace supernova' giving us the JJverse.
Old December 23 2013, 01:27 AM   #20
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Noting that the Bassen Rift looks to be roughly the same "neighbourhood" - looking from the "top" down through the galactic equatorial plane - as Gamma Pavonis. This doesn't mean that the Rift and Gamma Pav are at the same "altitude", but there may be implications useful to writers down the line.

As to Hobus, it's shown as an F+A binary if I'm reading the map correctly, and the "top-down" view makes it appear roughly 10 lightyears rimward of Romulus/Remus. If that's correct, then other systems "between" Hobus and Romulus/Remus and elsewhere in that 10 ly radius likely have taken the same kind of "hit".

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer

Last edited by DEWLine; December 23 2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts re: Hobus
Old December 26 2013, 10:29 PM   #21
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Berengaria...anyone else still bothered by its placement?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old December 27 2013, 07:40 PM   #22
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

There are several systems that seem "off".
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 07:49 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Berengaria...anyone else still bothered by its placement?
Where is it placed?

Old December 27 2013, 10:33 PM   #24
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Well, it hasn't been changed from its Star Charts location: Alpha Quadrant side, X-range: 60-80; Y-range: 60-80. Z-range: unclear. Same vertical "stack" of sectors as Mu Aquilae and the Black Cluster...?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old December 27 2013, 10:54 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

Okay... in the context of what was established in "Bound," after Star Charts was published, Berengaria should logically be closer to Earth and closer to Orion territory. So, yeah, I'd say that position should've been updated.

Old December 27 2013, 11:15 PM   #26
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Beneath the Raptor's Wing took that implied placement and ran with it, as I recall...?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old January 9 2014, 06:10 PM   #27
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Is Moonbase Alpha still in the maps?
Old January 10 2014, 02:32 AM   #28
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Not in this version. But that was his in-joke re: the boundaries of UFP-charted space within the Milky Way galaxy, right?

(Remembering that Geoffrey also worked on the Moonbase Alpha Tech Notebook back in the day...)

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old January 10 2014, 02:55 AM   #29
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

Sadly there are two problems with a book on stellar cartography:
1) It's difficult to demonstrate the elevation and depression of planets in proximity to other solar systems and planets. That all gets lost on a 2-D map. Some books and websites try to demonstrate this height difference from side views.

2) People are not buying books like they were post-The Wrath of Khan. Being an older fan, I can tell you there was a sad period from say 1974 until 1979 when there was precious little in the way of new material about the series. Many of the ones that were in existence (like Starlog magazine or numerous fan fiction stories) happened due to the hard core fans who kept Star Trek alive as a cultural phenomena.

Several yars ago, Stephen King remarked something to the effect that he'd seen a huge drop off in his sales because people simply were not reading anymore. It doesn't have the immediacy that postmodern generations require.
This topic is really relevant to me personally because I'm trying to generate star maps for the four quadrants plus an overall galaxy map and using every stellar cartography resource, plus canon encyclopedias, websites devoted to cartography, and websites like this one and Memory Alpha.

I'm doing that to create an homage mod for GalCiv2 Twilight of the Arnor so that fans can play within the universe of Star Trek in a way that's as authentic as possible.

Many years ago there was a computer program that I purchased that featured a visual walkthrough of the sets of Star Trek in order to make it immersive. Something like this is needed in a stellar cartography way such that you can travel through in a 3D manner. I would think that would be replicated in Star Trek Online, but I haven't played yet.

Some of you may enjoy this resource. It's one that I'm using to help make maps which would be plausible in a Star Trek mod.
http://www.startrekmap.com/
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 02:55 AM   #30
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Not in this version. But that was his in-joke re: the boundaries of UFP-charted space within the Milky Way galaxy, right?

(Remembering that Geoffrey also worked on the Moonbase Alpha Tech Notebook back in the day...)
Yep, that was the one.