The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old December 21 2013, 12:28 AM   #211
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: What if Garrett Wang had left Voyager instead of Jennifer Lien?

borgboy wrote: View Post
There were times when Odo did act as a metaphor for being gay, but it's not literally the same thing. I think the intention was that Odo was enjoying sex with Kira, but I do think he was so very alien and different that he was experiencing things way different that a standard humanoid.
I never really liked Odo having this mad crush on Kira anyways. I can see how it worked with his story arc of feeling detached, longing to belong, affirming his connection to the Federation side in the War, etc. It still just felt weird, he's so alien, his natural state is protoplasm, so it seems odd to me that he'd have such a human expression of love and sex.
It's also a bit lame that he seemed to identify as a heterosexual male considering his true nature. You'd think his gender identity and any sexual orientation should've been more fluid.
I didn't find it as much about love and sex as it was about both of them being lonely. He couldn't go home and her soul mate was dead. They were both close friends that sought sexual comfort in each other to ease the pain they both felt.

There was a whole story about how Odo mimic's the scientist that he spent the most time with.
Odo's sexuality is undefined.
If anything on DS9, between Dax & Odo they showed sexuality and gender identity can be a broad spectrum.

Last edited by exodus; December 21 2013 at 12:39 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2013, 12:40 AM   #212
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
If shapeshifters did not produce fully functioning internal organs of whatever they were shifted to, it should be easier to detect them. No crazy blood tests, just a tricorder scan. Just sayin. If it's hard to detect humans apart from shapeshifters posing as humans, shapeshifters have human internal organs.
In the beginning Odo is a terrible shapeshifter, either becuase he's young or he's not that well educated from being denied the link, but pre-link I doubt Odo tried to make internal organs when he couldn't even do a "nose" right.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2013, 12:46 AM   #213
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
borgboy wrote: View Post
There were times when Odo did act as a metaphor for being gay, but it's not literally the same thing. I think the intention was that Odo was enjoying sex with Kira, but I do think he was so very alien and different that he was experiencing things way different that a standard humanoid.
I never really liked Odo having this mad crush on Kira anyways. I can see how it worked with his story arc of feeling detached, longing to belong, affirming his connection to the Federation side in the War, etc. It still just felt weird, he's so alien, his natural state is protoplasm, so it seems odd to me that he'd have such a human expression of love and sex.
It's also a bit lame that he seemed to identify as a heterosexual male considering his true nature. You'd think his gender identity and any sexual orientation should've been more fluid.
I didn't find it as much about love and sex as it was about both of them being lonely. He couldn't go home and her soul mate was dead. They were both close friends that sought sexual comfort in each other to ease the pain they both felt.

There was a whole story about how Odo mimic's the scientist that he spent the most time with.
Odo's sexuality is undefined.
If anything on DS9, between Dax & Odo they showed sexuality and gender identity can be a broad spectrum.
Could they make a communal pocket with Zippers that during coitus, Husband and wife share the symbiont, as the sexual acts and sensations inflicted on each other become an echochamber of touch.

Old January 4 2014, 09:55 PM   #214
Ender9
Cadet

I don't think anyone should have left, but if Garrett Wang had left Voyager, it's likely, in my opinion, that they'd have still brought in Seven of Nine.
Ender9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 12:28 AM   #215
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Garret was prefired between seasons after Jeri joined the cast.

Because of real world events Garrets prefire was reversed and Jennifer was completely fired to save his job.

Old January 5 2014, 12:19 PM   #216
2takesfrakes
Commodore

It never ceases to amaze me, how Kes, has so many vocal haters in TREK fandom. Jennifer was so beautiful and acted so sweet ... other than her moronic lifespan, what's not to love? And for that, they put Jennifer out of a job.

Why can't I ever meet really sweet women like that who aren't overweight? Is it even possible, I ask you. I need a girl who's completely True ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 02:01 PM   #217
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I actually thought it was sad that they chickened out on the short lifespan. Kes should have died of old age in later seasons, simple as that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 04:09 PM   #218
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Had "they" let Kes die off, at 3 (like they were "supposed" to), then replacing her with Seven of Nine would've seemed a little less crass than it actually came across.
Old January 5 2014, 08:20 PM   #219
Xzpezer
Lieutenant

That would have been good harry Kim sucks.
Xzpezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 08:43 PM   #220
Lynx
Rear Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
It never ceases to amaze me, how Kes, has so many vocal haters in TREK fandom. Jennifer was so beautiful and acted so sweet ... other than her moronic lifespan, what's not to love? And for that, they put Jennifer out of a job.

Why can't I ever meet really sweet women like that who aren't overweight? Is it even possible, I ask you. I need a girl who's completely True ...
Looks like we are in the same situation.

As for Kes, I don't think there are so many haters. The haters just happen to be very active. I used to post on another forum once where there were 3-4 people who hated the character and thy were spamming the forum with mean comments. But they weren't so many.

JarodRussell wrote:
actually thought it was sad that they chickened out on the short lifespan. Kes should have died of old age in later seasons, simple as that.
I'm actually happy that they didn't kill off the character. The 9 year lifespan was a mistake which didn't lead to anything.

Not to mention that Star Trek is about exploring and adventures, not something like The Bold and The Beautiful or any of those countless hospital series or doom and gloom series which are shoved upon us in these days, Those who want soapy melodramatics have a lot to chhose among.

Or be bored to death by Stargate Universe!

2takesfrakes wrote:
Had "they" let Kes die off, at 3 (like they were "supposed" to), then replacing her with Seven of Nine would've seemed a little less crass than it actually came across.
Well, anything would have been better than "Fury" but I'm still happy that they didn't kill off the character. That opens up possibilities to come up with future stories about her.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 09:27 PM   #221
Xzpezer
Lieutenant

Harry Kim is the most gullible person in star trek
Xzpezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:45 AM   #222
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Lynx, your restraint puzzles me. You have no threads devoted to the beautiful, the talented, the delicious Jennifer Lien. Nor have you any devoted to her alter ego Kes. I would start one, but honestly, you know far more about them both, than I.

And I agree about Harry Kim's gullibility, Xzpezer! Whatever that one episode was, where this planet of women were going to fry his brain with hot sex, and plenty of it ... but strangely, he resisted. I'm talking a Bevy of Babes, here, all throwing themselves at him and he was wide eyed ... and white knuckled ... holding on for dear life, whilst they tried to haul him back to the bedroom. Before that, though, they zapped him with a virus that put markings on his head and they told him some fool story about how his dad was shooting blanks and he's really one of them. I forget the whole thing, I just know that ... Harry's more scared of women than can easily be explained away. As it turns out, this one time, that didn't work against him ...
Old January 6 2014, 01:52 AM   #223
teacock
Admiral

Yeah you forgot the part where he realized they were going to KILL HIM.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:56 AM   #224
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They were pretending to be his space cousins, and possibly his real cousins.

Family.

Old January 6 2014, 04:19 AM   #225
teacock
Admiral

I love that episode, which I know is reviled, because it sucks me in every time the idea that they could really be his space family. I like that theme, though Harry never had the whole "I always felt I didn't belong here.." deal that usually accompanies such a story. I think they make up for that by giving him infatuation overload with them, they imprint him with them so he feels like he belongs more there than anywhere else. Which is also interesting because even if you feel totes cozy with your current life and planet and species someday you may not.. someday something powerful may come along and it will be like a veil lifted from your coziness and you will see who you really are. I do love this theme

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote