TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 21 2013, 12:50 AM   #76
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: X-Men: Apocalypse announced for May 2016

if they have his ship in the movie...

Will they tap the celestials?

Which means showing the origin of the Mutants?

Squee!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2013, 01:07 AM   #77
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I don't see it being a big deal either way.
Why would it be a big deal? We're chatting about entertainment on the Internet. The odds of anything we discuss being a big deal, rather than simply idle conversation to pass the time, are relatively slim. If we had things on our minds that actually were big deals, we'd probably be off dealing with those... err... deals instead of rattling around on our keyboards talking about a movie that hasn't been made yet.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2013, 01:40 AM   #78
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
In the IDW ongoing comic they are showing Khan's youth with the correct ethnicity so will presumably hand-wave away Cumberbatch's ethnicity as a disguise to protect his identity.

Additionally, Apocalypse sometimes usurps other bodies when his own wears out and he's a shapeshifter so handsome young white dude is more likely than anything else sadly.
I'm reading that too, but I assumed that Khan is going to die getting them aboard the Botany Bay, and Ricardo Khan is going to say to Bendict Khan with his dying breath: "Now you are Khan!"
The timelines don't diverge until 2233. Ricardo Khan must become Benedict Khan after that point.

Christopher wrote:
It's within the possible range of human variation but far beyond what you could ethically ask of any live performer.
Other than Christian Bale.
Old December 21 2013, 01:56 AM   #79
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You're forgetting about the timetravel.

Kirk in 1930, 1968, 1969, and 1984, then Picard in 1890 something, 2063, Sisko in 2024, and Janeway in 1996...

Without all those people from the original timeline going back and fiddling, the road to the actual divergence in 2233 is going to be a little off.

Unless the act of travelling through time puts you outside of time and prophylizes you from any ongoing temporal edition that original timeline, where Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway still sorted out the past even though if they tried to return to thier future, they'll now only find the new Abrams Timeline where their home should be.

Old December 21 2013, 03:17 AM   #80
JD
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Obiwanshinobi wrote: View Post
I wonder who they'll cast as Apocalypse. I'd suggest Clancy Brown, but I think he would be better suited as Cable. This might be retreading a somewhat similar character in The Mummy movies, but Arnold Vosloo would be cool too.
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Idris Elba?
Ron Perlman?
Hmm, well, En Sabah Nur is supposed to be a native of what's now Jordan, so ideally he should be played by someone from that part of the world, or someone who can pass for it. Alexander Siddig, Naveen Andrews, somebody like that. Although that may be expecting too much of Hollywood.
While I would love to see more non-white actors in these kinds of movies, I figured that Apocalypse would be either CGI or covered in so much makeup that his race wouldn't be an issue. I was going more for overall body shape and voice.
Old December 21 2013, 11:58 AM   #81
Mr Light
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
So Apocalypse will probably look pretty much like this, right? I've been assuming he'll be a CG mocap character; the vague unreality of even the highest-end CG could in this case work in the movie's favor to give him an even more nightmarish presence in addition to beefing up his physique.
Hopefully for the movie he'll have four belts instead of three

I always thought that was the most asinine character design for that game. He doesn't wear three massive belts on top of each other in the comics! He could never bend forward!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2013, 09:10 PM   #82
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

He's a metamorph Light, Apocalypse has universal pivots along and inside his entire body.

Old December 21 2013, 10:25 PM   #83
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
His big blue lips make contact with his ear lobes.
Aye, that too, and another potential advantage for CG.

Granted, though, finding someone really tall and muscular who's also a good actor is tricky. So that might justify going CGI, although it seems extravagantly expensive in a case like this, given that it's easy to make actors look bigger with costuming, camera angles, and the like.

I mean, really, if the X-Men movies got hung up on height, Hugh Jackman would never have qualified to be Wolverine.
Ah, but they never tried to make Jackman look short. And while you're correct about making actors look bigger, there are limits, especially when it comes to brawling. It's a lucky thing for PJ and Co. that Tolkien never wrote a Frodo/Gandalf fistfight.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 12:00 AM   #84
Christopher
Writer

^Ahh, but the Tolkien films, like most big-budget action films today, create CG doubles of the live actors for the big action scenes. So needing a CG character for an action scene does not preclude casting a live actor in the same role for other scenes.

Indeed, this was true long before CGI; in many films, live actors have been doubled with animatronic replicas for FX scenes, and actors who've been faked to appear large or small have been doubled by appropriately-sized people in shots where interaction is required. Even Peter Jackson does this; every hobbit and dwarf character in the movies has a Little Person double for the main actor, with the face being digitally replaced.

Old December 22 2013, 07:57 AM   #85
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^Ahh, but the Tolkien films, like most big-budget action films today, create CG doubles of the live actors for the big action scenes. So needing a CG character for an action scene does not preclude casting a live actor in the same role for other scenes.

Indeed, this was true long before CGI; in many films, live actors have been doubled with animatronic replicas for FX scenes, and actors who've been faked to appear large or small have been doubled by appropriately-sized people in shots where interaction is required. Even Peter Jackson does this; every hobbit and dwarf character in the movies has a Little Person double for the main actor, with the face being digitally replaced.
It is now clear to me that this friendly intellectual debate shall not be resolved by words alone. I therefore propose a game of billiards in the City of San Francisco sometime this week, in which the loser shall publicly acknowledge the winner's position to be the superior one; as the challenged party, you may choose the venue and take the first shot.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 03:56 PM   #86
Christopher
Writer

Sorry, my travel budget's maxed out by my impending trip to spend Christmas with the family. And I'm lousy at billiards.

Anyway, there's nothing to be resolved; I'm just saying there's more than one option available. CGI is a useful technique, but there's still a place for other techniques, and I'm just saying we (and hopefully the filmmakers) should be aware of all the possibilities.

Old December 23 2013, 05:30 AM   #87
Tosk
Rear Admiral

My money is on a live performer/CGI combo.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 02:34 AM   #88
Dream
Admiral

Why Marvel wants the X-Men to fail

What's in Marvel's best interest?

From a completely cynical and business perspective: it's in Marvel's best interest for Sony and Fox to lose their rights to their big characters, because it would mean that Marvel would reclaim those popular, money-making franchises.

But there's also another layer to this: Marvel is also a comic book company. It's in control of the source material that Sony and Fox use, and it has say when it comes to cartoons, toys, and licensing. And this makes some X-Men and Fantastic Four fans nervous because Marvel could, if it wanted to, downplay their favorite characters by limiting the merchandise. For instance, Marvel has a deal where it benefits from Spider-Man's movie products even though Sony owns the movie rights.

Rob Liefeld, a comics creator who helped make the...
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 02:44 AM   #89
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I'm skeptical of the idea that Marvel is cutting back on X-Men comics because they want the movies to fail. They cut back on the X-Men because the X-Men were fucking everywhere. They were overshadowing everything else. Seriously, the complaint is that they're scaling down what was three separate publications all at once.

I agree that they've redirected resources towards promoting other comics (such as Guardians, which they want interest in now that there's a movie), but the X-Men can stand on their own, which I think is part of it.
Old August 25 2014, 02:54 AM   #90
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Yeah, the X-Men comics have reached a point of oversaturation more than once. It's not a conspiracy that they'd trim some back, it's just business.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote