CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 5 2014, 10:25 PM   #631
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

^ Good list. I was thinking specifically of Jessica Lange, but I knew there were plenty others.
Old January 5 2014, 10:26 PM   #632
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Excellent list and there's also Jessica Lange!

Edit - d'oh, ninja'd by Ancient Mariner
Old January 5 2014, 11:21 PM   #633
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Some google shots of her look good, like when she's working out, but in empire's picture, she seems way to frail and weak
DC movies blow it again.
Old January 6 2014, 12:22 AM   #634
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
She's a model who, up until now, only got roles her kind of actress deserves.

So a model never deserves a chance at anything other than "junk work" roles? A former model doesn't "deserve" the opportunity to play a role that might require something more challenging than just being eye-candy ... perhaps even an Oscar-worthy performance?

There's an example of an "opinion" that is completely wrong.
So it's just petty ignorance and bias that lets some stomp their feet like a little child who didn't get their way and they are the negative examples people point out when talking about our little culture.. the people who get angry when the movie has the wrong color of the nacelles.

Thats just hilarious. I never said any models shouldn't get a good role, I'm saying Gadot sucks in almost every conceivable way as a choice for WW and shouldn't get it. People have been hating casting choices/actors and arguing about them probably since movies and the actors themselves became a big thing. I hate Gadot, I think she's too small, and never done any good acting. My opinion is not wrong, its just not yours. Just because you like her doesn't mean anything. It doesn't make me biased, I just came to my own conclusion.

I find that, for me, my conclusions usually turn out to be right. I'll always think Gadot is horrible, and that is a perfectly valid opinion, just like people liking her is also valid. Some people like Michael Bay and twilight, and thats their right. You can like gadot all you like, and I can think she's a horrible actress who only isn't the worst choice for playing WW because she's at least the right gender.

sojourner wrote: View Post
other actresses that started as models:

Charlize Theron
Jennifer Lawrence
Jaime King
Mischa Barton
Rebecca Romjin
Uma Thurman
Evangeline Lilly
Cameron Diaz
Angie Harmon
Famke Janssen
Kim Basinger
Milla Jovovich
Elizabeth Hurley
Andie McDowell
Tricia Helfer
Sharon Stone
Vanessa Williams
Halle Berry

Not a comprehensive list, but I think you'll find a few of them became good enough to win Oscars.
Oh yes, I'm sure actresses like Jovovich will be winning Oscars anytime now There have obviously been successful models as actresses. Models can be good actresses, but in theory so can anyone from any non acting job.

I'm saying that a model shouldn't be WW, and every woman on that list would be a horrible choice (even in their prime for the older ones). Heck, of the people I know from that list several of them are fairly poor actresses (with Jovovich probably being the worst) and none would be fit to lead a superhero movie (which I think Berry proved rather spectacularly, regardless of the fact that she's a decent Storm in X-Men).

That list proves nothing. There have obviously been models who became actresses and made money/were "successful". Listing some does not prove Gadot is any good, it doesn't even prove the people on that list were any good.

Aldo wrote: View Post
This is rather narrow minded and a tad bit offensive too. But then again that is your M.O. So just curious, have you even seen 'Man of Steel' yet? No, didn't think so. You just continue to prejudge everything.

I on the other hand will keep an open mind, I did when I went and saw MOS, sure I had problems with it, but the good far outweighed the bad.
Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions. I've obviously seen MoS, I've said so in that thread and I'm pretty sure you could understand that I've seen it just from my posts in this thread. I saw it as soon as I could get it from the library, the same month as the DVD release, I think. It was extremely mediocre. Better than The Dark Knight or TDK Rises, and not outright horrible, but mostly an extremely mediocre experience, with a few completely horrible moments like

(my thoughts on MoS are in spoilers, because I'm responding to Aldo and don't want to clog the thread, although there will be MoS spiler, too)

MoS is one of the better Goyer DC movies, but that doesn't make it a good movie. If I gave it a number rating, it would be 5/10. Better than I expected, but still mediocre
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 12:37 AM   #635
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Thats just hilarious. I never said any models shouldn't get a good role
Wrong. You did.

My opinion is not wrong, its just not yours. Just because you like her doesn't mean anything. It doesn't make me biased, I just came to my own conclusion.
Wrong again, chief. Your post said, "She's a model who, up until now, only got roles her kind of actress deserves." - which is most definitely biased (against models), and flat out wrong (as evidenced by the number of models who did go on to have not only commercially successful careers, but critically successful as well).

Or do you concede that models do, in fact, deserve any number of roles, including those that require them to drastically change their physical appearance (see: Charlize Theron, Monster)?
Old January 6 2014, 12:41 AM   #636
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Good lord, more than 600 posts and we're still obsessing over her appearance?

Someone PM me when we get to speculating about her role in the film.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:15 AM   #637
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I don't think Gal should be Wonder Woman in this movie.

Agent Diana Prince of Homeland Security, in a pants-suit, shooting terrorists for Uncle Sam.

Did Mulder and Scully carry guns?

They should have, but it just doesn't seem right.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:16 AM   #638
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
Thats just hilarious. I never said any models shouldn't get a good role
Wrong. You did.

My opinion is not wrong, its just not yours. Just because you like her doesn't mean anything. It doesn't make me biased, I just came to my own conclusion.
Wrong again, chief. Your post said, "She's a model who, up until now, only got roles her kind of actress deserves." - which is most definitely biased (against models), and flat out wrong (as evidenced by the number of models who did go on to have not only commercially successful careers, but critically successful as well).

Or do you concede that models do, in fact, deserve any number of roles, including those that require them to drastically change their physical appearance (see: Charlize Theron, Monster)?
No, i concede that individuals deserve any number of roles. I didn't mean that Gadot's type of actress was just a model turned actress. She's a purely eye candy actress, a c-list one they can hire cheaply to wear a bikini and throw herself around in stupid action junk. Someone doesn't need to have been a model to do that, and probably not every model turned actress fits that category. Gadot is Megan Fox with a thick accent, basically. Heck, Megan Fox probably had a more important, well defined character/role in the Transformers movies than Gadot had in F&F, and she's probably a better actress, too. Gadot being a model, and her general physical build, just effects her ability to not look like a toddler would knock her on her butt. The type of actress she is, while maybe connected to her being a model, isn't a definitive model turned actress thing (although its not exactly rare, either).

I don't get the comparison with Theron and that weird sounding movie. Its probably comparatively easy to gain random fat weight and make yourself just look generically ugly. At the very least, I can't think of anyone who couldn't physically do that, even if it took effort. There is a big difference between that and playing WW. Gadot just does not have the build or stature for it.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:51 AM   #639
DWF
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Did Mulder and Scully carry guns?

They should have, but it just doesn't seem right.
Yes Scully and Mulder carried guns.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:52 AM   #640
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I don't get it. No matter what body type she has, she is going to be a million times stronger than a mortal human woman of the same body type. So what the hell is the problem with suspension of disbelief here? No matter what she looks like, her power is impossible to achieve by a human woman that looks identical.

Same thing with Superman. Sorry, no matter how big his muscles are, Henry Cavill can't lift an oil rig, ahnd Christopher Reeve couldn't lift a helicopter.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:54 AM   #641
Aldo
Admiral

Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions. I've obviously seen MoS, I've said so in that thread and I'm pretty sure you could understand that I've seen it just from my posts in this thread. I saw it as soon as I could get it from the library, the same month as the DVD release, I think. It was extremely mediocre. Better than The Dark Knight or TDK Rises, and not outright horrible, but mostly an extremely mediocre experience, with a few completely horrible moments like
My apologies than. My point still stands though. You keep saying she won't be a good Wonder Woman just because of her appearance in a F&F film, but how do you know that?! There are plenty of actors/actresses I think stink it up in a certain role then turn around and knock it out of the park with another. Perhaps Gadot can end up doing that as well? She's obviously enthusiastic about the role and I think she deserves the benefit of the doubt right now.

Good lord, we haven't even seen her in costume yet!
Old January 6 2014, 01:59 AM   #642
DWF
Vice Admiral

Given the changes in the Krytonian outfits in Man Of Steel, I'm really looking forward to the Batman and Wonder Woman outfits, I imagine they too might look more like armor as well.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 02:00 AM   #643
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I don't get it. No matter what body type she has, she is going to be a million times stronger than a mortal human woman of the same body type. So what the hell is the problem with suspension of disbelief here? No matter what she looks like, her power is impossible to achieve by a human woman that looks identical.

Same thing with Superman. Sorry, no matter how big his muscles are, Henry Cavill can't lift an oil rig, ahnd Christopher Reeve couldn't lift a helicopter.
No!! The voice of common sense!! On the internet!?! Flee! We must flee!!
Old January 6 2014, 02:06 AM   #644
Aldo
Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Given the changes in the Krytonian outfits in Man Of Steel, I'm really looking forward to the Batman and Wonder Woman outfits, I imagine they too might look more like armor as well.
I'm also interested to see what design they'll go with. The WW outfit is pretty iconic so I can't imagine they'll change it too much, and since she's not a Kryptonian they won't be stuck with that design scheme.
Old January 6 2014, 02:21 AM   #645
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

The Superman costume from Man of Steel is similar to the New 52 costume. Maybe Batman and Wonder Woman will get the same treatment. Maybe we'll see a dark grey Batman costume without the trunks. And the Wonder Woman costume I posted earlier is exactly like the New 52 version and looks like it could fit into this series as is.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote