TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 2 2014, 04:18 AM   #541
JD
Admiral

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

She is quite a bit closer to what I picture as WW in those pictures.
Old January 3 2014, 12:34 AM   #542
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile

Mariska Hargitay as WW?

No. Just no.
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 04:13 AM   #543
kirk55555
Commodore

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
I love how when Gal says "By the book", she's referring to stuff that technically is more myth than fact. We've had plenty of female characters who use bows and I don't recall a single one of them complaining that their boobs get in the way. Not to mention that the number of Wonder Woman depictions where she slices off one of her breasts so she can use a bow better is....
She's obviously tongue-in-cheek responding to the fanboy whinge that she's not voluptuous enough to be an "accurate" Wonder Woman. And obviously when talking about the mythical Amazons you'll be dealing with... myth, not fact.
Indeed, she's quite funny about it. Turtletrekker noted here from her how easy it is to deal with breasts.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Money quote...

"Breasts… anyone can buy for 9,000 shekels and everything is fine."
I think the breast complaints are stupid, and her comment was pretty funny. Now, she's definitely not the right size, but her chest isn't the problem. Its being weaker looking than a 5 year old boy that's the problem. Still, it really doesn't matter. She's in a movie by people who have shown they couldn't write/make a movie about Superman or batman if you put a gun to their head, and have never had anything approaching a good female character. The best, most Wonder Woman like actress in the world won't be able to make the Snyder/Goyer wonder Woman a good character, so they might as well cast Gadot. She's the actress those two deserve, a mediocre choice for an almost certainly badly written character in a movie thats basically guaranteed to be mediocre. I just hope that we;ll get a good WW in film once Goyer stops writing DC movies (when they reboot them in around 2050 )
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 04:51 AM   #544
sojourner
Admiral

Shoo! go away!
Old January 3 2014, 05:09 AM   #545
kirk55555
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
Shoo! go away!

Old January 3 2014, 05:23 AM   #546
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post

She's obviously tongue-in-cheek responding to the fanboy whinge that she's not voluptuous enough to be an "accurate" Wonder Woman. And obviously when talking about the mythical Amazons you'll be dealing with... myth, not fact.
Indeed, she's quite funny about it. Turtletrekker noted here from her how easy it is to deal with breasts.

"Breasts… anyone can buy for 9,000 shekels and everything is fine."
I think the breast complaints are stupid, and her comment was pretty funny. Now, she's definitely not the right size, but her chest isn't the problem. Its being weaker looking than a 5 year old boy that's the problem. Still, it really doesn't matter. She's in a movie by people who have shown they couldn't write/make a movie about Superman or batman if you put a gun to their head, and have never had anything approaching a good female character. The best, most Wonder Woman like actress in the world won't be able to make the Snyder/Goyer wonder Woman a good character, so they might as well cast Gadot. She's the actress those two deserve, a mediocre choice for an almost certainly badly written character in a movie thats basically guaranteed to be mediocre. I just hope that we;ll get a good WW in film once Goyer stops writing DC movies (when they reboot them in around 2050 )
Haven't you heard? Chris Terrio the writer of Argo is penning MOS 2.

So your fear of Goyer ruining this movie is unfounded.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 02:07 PM   #547
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post

Terrio is just rewriting Goyer's script. We don't know yet how extensive his rewrite will be - could be a complete overhaul, could be just a few lines here and there.
Old January 3 2014, 04:09 PM   #548
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Its being weaker looking than a 5 year old boy that's the problem.
You really don't understand the very basic concept of exercise, do you?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 04:33 PM   #549
DWF
Vice Admiral

Well, the appears to be a good sport about the comments about her looks. I saw Fast And Furisou 6 recently and she seemed to do a good enough joob with what little she was given.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 06:26 PM   #550
kirk55555
Commodore

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Its being weaker looking than a 5 year old boy that's the problem.
You really don't understand the very basic concept of exercise, do you?
Well, reading this thread, exercise is apparently a magical procedure that could probably turn Betty White into She-Hulk

There is only so much muscle you can add to a twig. Like I said, the part is going to be horrible anyway, so casting a woman who has never really had to actually act in a significant role, and who couldn't be the right size if she spent years training and gained 5 inches, is about right for this movie. Save the good WW actresses for possible reboots or (hopefully) pulling an Ed Norton with the Justice League movie.

AvBaur wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post

Terrio is just rewriting Goyer's script. We don't know yet how extensive his rewrite will be - could be a complete overhaul, could be just a few lines here and there.
Uh, is that supposed to be a good thing? I mean, if someone besides Goyer is working on the script (and their name isn't Nolan) its a reason to hope it will improve, but all I know about Argo is that it has a boring sounding premise and that its one of those movies critics love. Movies critics love either look horrible (like Slumdog Millionaire), are super artsy, or just look boring (like Argo). Sure, you'll get a good one sometimes (The Return of the King, The Artist, Forest Gump) but generally speaking if a movie wins the award for best picture, from what I've seen its some stupid movie basically made for the critics and film snobs that I'd avoid like the plague.

So, I can't say this guy is worse than Goyer, but at least Goyer wrote two good and one decent movies that I know of (the Blade trilogy). Looking at Terrio's wikipedia page, I can't find him doing anything big besides Argo, so his contribution could go either way. He could make the movie worse, or help it at least get the mediocrity that MoS had.
Old January 3 2014, 06:31 PM   #551
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

^You're slagging off on yet another thing you haven't seen? Really? Well at least you're consistent.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 06:44 PM   #552
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Why did I know he hadn't seen Argo and would find a reason to dislike it?

Old January 3 2014, 06:48 PM   #553
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I thought Argo was a good movie and I don't think I'm a film snob...
Old January 3 2014, 06:49 PM   #554
kirk55555
Commodore

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
^You're slagging off on yet another thing you haven't seen? Really? Well at least you're consistent.
I'm not saying I know Argo is bad, just that its not a movie I'd watch. Argo being a movie critic's love is just an additional reason I wouldn't watch it. The main reason is that a fictional movie based off of the events it shows sounds really, really boring. I really couldn't care less about a movie about the Iran hostage crisis. It sounds about as interesting as watching a movie about the US invading Grenada, or attempting to not fall asleep to the movie Thirteen Days.
Old January 3 2014, 06:59 PM   #555
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile

^The fact that you list Forrest Gump as one of the "good ones" completely invalidates your opinion.
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote