RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 508
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 8 2013, 07:55 PM   #286
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Kestrel wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Yeah, because those are all similar situations . Except that most of those were actors bulking up for a leading role, not a scrawny model playing a minor character in a superhero movie. She is a living twig, her body isn't going to change enough. She would need to almost double her body size without going all creepy body builder, and put on 4-6 inches of height. Plus, the more I see of her in clips, the more I'm starting to think she's not a very good actress. Then again, her biggest role is eye candy in a mediocre car racing franchise, but she's not exactly making me think she's a particularly good actress with her current work. I see no evidence that she's not just a cheap actress who was brought in for her cheapness and moderate attractiveness, or that she could possibly be a good WW, physically or acting wise.
You realize you're being incredibly insulting?
Oh, yes, because she's totally going to get paid the same as Ben Affleck, because that's how movies work. All actors get the same amount of money

Money wise, it will go Affleck, Cavil, Amy Adams, probably the villain (who might get more than adams, depending on wqho it is), then probably a bunch of people before getting to Gadot. Until the title gets reannounced as SM vs BM vs WW, I'm pretty sure she's not going to be more than a minor character (or maybe a supporting character if Goyer decides he really likes writing WW).

Also, I'm not trying to insult Gadot, I'm just stating what I see. She's too small, and her previous F&F stuff seems to be purely eye candy junk thats in most action movies. Heck, even the wikipedia description of her character in F&F is just generic attractive female character stuff. The first clip I saw of her on youtube when she was first announced as WW? It was from one of her F&F scenes, and she literally brags about using her attractiveness to get what she wants (which I think is fingerprints from some guy, I don't know why) as she goes over and basically is just eye candy to get what she wants from the guy. It did not leave a good first impression. Before she started getting into movies, she was literally a model. WW needs a bulkier athletic type person, not someone who probably weighs less than your average 13 year old boy. I can literally see her ribs in several images. Thats too skinny for really any super heroine in a live action movie, but for WW that's especially small.

I also want to add that the Sarah Conner comparison was weird. Hamilton was ok in T2, but even bulked up body wise she still wasn't near WW size, and while she's shorter I think she wasn't as skinny as Gadot, even in the original Terminator (although I will admit Hamilton was horrible in that movie, mostly because of bad writing but still she's why I've never gotten through T1, and she was much better in T2). Besides, hamilton wasn't trying to be a superhero, she was supposed to be a woman who was just kind of bulking up. Honestly it never made much sense. Everyone thought she was so insane they put her in a mental institution, kept her restrained and would sedate her, yet they let her exercise and get stronger? She probably should have been less fit than in T1 by the time T2 started. I didn't know mental institutions had body building programs.

Anyway, this is getting ridiculous. Gadot is just one person cast in an almost certainly mediocre (or worse) movie. WW will suck in this even if she was played by a good actress who looked the part because of the writing. Seriously, while he generally sucks even in his few good movies Goyer has never written a particularly good female character, although I guess the woman in Blade Trinity wasn't horrible. I've said all I can say on the subject of gadot's casting. Its a horrible choice, and she'll never work as WW. But, it doesn't matter. People will pay a lot of money to see what Goyer has sh*t out, and I'm sure this will make money. I'll stick with superhero movies that make money but are actually well written and well made from a company that actually cares about the characters (aka every movie Marvel itself has made, not counting the various FOX/Sony/etc movies). Goadot is just a problem in a movie/company filled to the brim with them.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 08:51 PM   #287
sojourner
Admiral

You TOTALLY missed what was insulting.
Old December 8 2013, 09:22 PM   #288
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Did Carrie Underwood look like a young Julie Andrews the other night?

STEPS SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 10:45 PM   #289
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Hell of a bittersweet time for Gal Gadot: the death of a friend (Paul Walker) and the biggest break of her professional life.
Old December 8 2013, 11:25 PM   #290
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
It's a rom/com. Turns out the reason Bats and Supes will be fighting is to see who gets WW.
Unless it's Batman and Wonder Woman fighting over who gets to be with Superman

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 11:37 PM   #291
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Hell of a bittersweet time for Gal Gadot: the death of a friend (Paul Walker) and the biggest break of her professional life.
Yea, Oh My God, I just saw this on the gossip rags when I went shopping yesterday morning, it was shocking to see he had died. I came right home and googled to find out what happened. How horrible, killed in an auto accident so young, and his friend with him.

Old December 9 2013, 12:19 AM   #292
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I take it you don't watch a lot of TV?
Old December 9 2013, 12:49 AM   #293
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
I take it you don't watch a lot of TV?
Live TV? No. I watch DVD Sets and record most stuff I watch to DVD and marathon through the season (Or half season) when it's done. Doctor Who, Walking Dead, Falling Skies and Once Upon A Time, I watch weekly, but, not live, I watch them on On Demand.

I take it you're saying it's been all over the TVScape?

Old December 9 2013, 01:01 AM   #294
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Also, I'm not trying to insult Gadot, I'm just stating what I see. She's too small, and her previous F&F stuff seems to be purely eye candy junk thats in most action movies. Heck, even the wikipedia description of her character in F&F is just generic attractive female character stuff. The first clip I saw of her on youtube when she was first announced as WW? It was from one of her F&F scenes, and she literally brags about using her attractiveness to get what she wants (which I think is fingerprints from some guy, I don't know why) as she goes over and basically is just eye candy to get what she wants from the guy. It did not leave a good first impression. Before she started getting into movies, she was literally a model. WW needs a bulkier athletic type person, not someone who probably weighs less than your average 13 year old boy. I can literally see her ribs in several images. Thats too skinny for really any super heroine in a live action movie, but for WW that's especially small.
Just to expand a bit on the scene you mentioned in F & F.. she uses her model looks to get hard to come by fingerprints of the main villain and it's one of the most hilarious and cool scenes in the movie. She is using her sexuality but then it is what men respond to most to women usually and she just used her assets to speed up the process (you also got angry at the A Team for having Face? It was his main role in the team and i don't see anyone making a fuss over that).

As to her role.. what do you want? A hulking, female MMA fighter?

Who would fit visually for the role? I agree that she needs to bulk up for the role a bit but who's to say what her role entails and what she has to do?

If the producers know what they're doing they won't have her squre off against Superman and give him a run for his money.. even if it works in the comics (and from what i've seen lately of her she's not much more that a well proportioned woman and not some bodybuilder) movie audiences won't buy it because of the sheer physical disparity between a bulked up Cavil and a normal sized Gadot.

The same applies to Batman.. in most comics i've seen he has the physique of a top line bodybuilder yet every actor who portrayed him had a normal, human body and nobody cried foul because it was unbelievable that he could move through a bunch of people and defeat all of them.

And what about Bane? Comic Bane has the stature of Hulk.. movie Bane looks more like a beefed up dude and nobody lost their marbles about it.

So why not give her a chance and actually wait for the first results or maybe even the movie before lighting the torches and grabbing a pitchfork.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 01:05 AM   #295
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
If the producers know what they're doing they won't have her squre off against Superman and give gim a run for his money.. even if it works in the comics (and from what i've seen lately of her she's not much more that a well proportioned woman and not some bodybuilder) movie audiences won't buy it because of the sheer physical disparity between a bulked up Cavil and a normal sized Gadot.
Audiences will usually buy it if a character has great strength from a supernatural source, even if they're physically smaller than their opponents, as long as it's played well on screen.
Old December 9 2013, 01:55 AM   #296
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Did Carrie Underwood look like a young Julie Andrews the other night?

STEPS SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN!
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 02:51 AM   #297
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Just to expand a bit on the scene you mentioned in F & F.. she uses her model looks to get hard to come by fingerprints of the main villain and it's one of the most hilarious and cool scenes in the movie. She is using her sexuality but then it is what men respond to most to women usually and she just used her assets to speed up the process (you also got angry at the A Team for having Face? It was his main role in the team and i don't see anyone making a fuss over that).

Who would fit visually for the role? I agree that she needs to bulk up for the role a bit but who's to say what her role entails and what she has to do?

If the producers know what they're doing they won't have her squre off against Superman and give him a run for his money.. even if it works in the comics (and from what i've seen lately of her she's not much more that a well proportioned woman and not some bodybuilder) movie audiences won't buy it because of the sheer physical disparity between a bulked up Cavil and a normal sized Gadot.

The same applies to Batman.. in most comics i've seen he has the physique of a top line bodybuilder yet every actor who portrayed him had a normal, human body and nobody cried foul because it was unbelievable that he could move through a bunch of people and defeat all of them.

And what about Bane? Comic Bane has the stature of Hulk.. movie Bane looks more like a beefed up dude and nobody lost their marbles about it.

So why not give her a chance and actually wait for the first results or maybe even the movie before lighting the torches and grabbing a pitchfork.
Well, if wonder woman decides to her physical attributes to, say, "distract" Lex Luthor (or whoever the villain is), we'll know that Goyer is officially trolling the world . The scene in F&F was stupid (I've never seen a similar seen that wasn't stupid) and its about as far away from WW as you can get. WW can be subtle, and unless the writer is really bad she's not some mindless warrior. But, she wouldn't do that, so seeing her actress to that was a bad first impression, although admittedly that has little to do with her being wW outside of judging her acting ability or what her previously most well known role was.

As for her not being able to beat up Superman, if Buffy can kick the ass of gigantic monsters then a live action WW can be written to fight Superman and be believable.

Batman also never has the physique of a body builder, except with artists that suck at anatomy. Top line male body builders look something like this

I doubt you'll find a version of batman that has that kind of body drawn by any halfway decent artist.

Besides, people can accept a less muscular, normal look for some heroes. The key word is normal. Gadot isn't normal, she's a super thin supermodel. Even then, if she was cast as heroines (from either company) like Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Batgirl/Woman, Fire, Ice, or even Black Canary it wouldn't be a big deal (at least, her size wouldn't be an issue, there would still be factors like acting ability). But WW, to me, needs to be bigger than a model. She doesn't need to be a freaky bodybuilder to kick ass, but she shouldn't look like she'd lose an arm wrestling contest to a 12 year old, or be blown over in a breeze.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 02:58 AM   #298
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

You are still failing to grasp the very simple concept that people can train to change their body type. It's not rocket science.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 03:10 AM   #299
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Who remembers Illyria from Angel going to town on bad guys with the power of a god?

Tall and skinny, bloody good at her job.

On Person of Interest these days, you'd think that she was Jason Bourne on Ritalin.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 03:14 AM   #300
Data Holmes
Admiral

Well, if wonder woman decides to her physical attributes to, say, "distract" Lex Luthor (or whoever the villain is), we'll know that Goyer is officially trolling the world . The scene in F&F was stupid (I've never seen a similar seen that wasn't stupid) and its about as far away from WW as you can get. WW can be subtle, and unless the writer is really bad she's not some mindless warrior. But, she wouldn't do that, so seeing her actress to that was a bad first impression, although admittedly that has little to do with her being wW outside of judging her acting ability or what her previously most well known role was.

As for her not being able to beat up Superman, if Buffy can kick the ass of gigantic monsters then a live action WW can be written to fight Superman and be believable.

Batman also never has the physique of a body builder, except with artists that suck at anatomy. Top line male body builders look something like this

I doubt you'll find a version of batman that has that kind of body drawn by any halfway decent artist.

Besides, people can accept a less muscular, normal look for some heroes. The key word is normal. Gadot isn't normal, she's a super thin supermodel. Even then, if she was cast as heroines (from either company) like Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Batgirl/Woman, Fire, Ice, or even Black Canary it wouldn't be a big deal (at least, her size wouldn't be an issue, there would still be factors like acting ability). But WW, to me, needs to be bigger than a model. She doesn't need to be a freaky bodybuilder to kick ass, but she shouldn't look like she'd lose an arm wrestling contest to a 12 year old, or be blown over in a breeze.