Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 6 2013, 02:51 AM   #166
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Let's say you're a Marvel Studios exec (Kevin Feige or whoever). Does the news about Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman make a difference? Do you now want Marvel to get their own A-list superheroine (whoever that might be) on film? Or is all of this really not a big deal?
Not any kind of deal.

Marvel has the momentum and the big franchise already. DC's got Batman, Batman with superpowers (Man of Steel) and someone playing Wonder Woman who looks like she gets winded easily shopping in Neiman Marcus.

Marvel is pointing and laughing and maintaining their already winning plan.
Well, maybe they're pointing and laughing. But they're certainly bothered that they don't control the film rights to Spider-Man, the X-Men and Fantastic Four.
Old December 6 2013, 03:17 AM   #167
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

On the subject of build, the actress who plays Wonder Woman shouldn't look like the actress who plays Lois could kick the shit out of her. Hell, the actress who plays Ma Kent looks like she could kick the shit out of Wonder Woman....

The Naughty List wrote: View Post
"Bruce, it became obvious when we were fighting that you badly need to get laid, so I hired you a hooker...."

Last edited by The Old Mixer; December 6 2013 at 03:30 AM.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 03:30 AM   #168
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Comics are for children
Nonsense.
Old December 6 2013, 03:34 AM   #169
Christopher
Writer

The Oy! Mixer wrote: View Post
On the subject of build, the actress who plays Wonder Woman shouldn't look like the actress who plays Lois could kick the shit out of her....
Haven't we sufficiently debunked this silly objection by now? Haven't we demonstrated adequately that it's commonplace for actors to train extensively and put on muscle when they're hired to play action protagonists? Isn't it obvious at this point that Gadot is going to train heavily for this role, just as Antje Traue trained for Faora, just as Christopher Reeve trained for Superman, just as Christian Bale repeatedly trained for Batman? And since anyone who's paying the slightest bit of attention must know by this point that this objection is total nonsense, aren't you just gratuitously and deliberately insulting this woman out of sheer rudeness now?

Please, everyone, just stop being so damn insulting. I get so sick of online fans and the way they think the proper response to any casting news is to attack, insult, condemn, and demonize the new performer as much as possible. It's twisted fandom into something deeply ugly and hateful and I just get more and more ashamed to be associated with it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 03:51 AM   #170
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Haven't we sufficiently debunked this silly objection by now? Haven't we demonstrated adequately that it's commonplace for actors to train extensively and put on muscle when they're hired to play action protagonists?
[Yada yada yada]
No, but we have demonstrated adequately that a facetious two line-post from me can spark a way-too-serious tirade from you....
Old December 6 2013, 05:47 AM   #171
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The Oy! Mixer wrote: View Post
No, but we have demonstrated adequately that a facetious two line-post from me can spark a way-too-serious tirade from you....
Anything can get a way-too-serious tirade out of Christopher. Still, he is 100% right.
Old December 6 2013, 05:48 AM   #172
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Title has been released

Man of Steel, and Whoever Else We Can Cram Into this Shitfest
Old December 6 2013, 05:57 AM   #173
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I guess it all depends on which interpretation they will base her character on. The current continuity has her being the daughter of Zeus, so it's no mystery where she gets her strength.
yeah, she's either the daughter of a God or statue brought to life and given godlike powers. Her build is irrelevant to her strength.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Supposedly, according to some tellings of the story, her strength come from her magic girdle.

As long as she has that girdle, no matter how strong she appears to look, this character can still juggle firetrucks.

And really what does a woman with a "perfect figure" need with a girdle anyways?
Stealing Hippolyta's girdle was one of Heracles' labors. Girdle in that context is just a belt. Never heard of Wonder Woman's girdle as the source of her strength.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 06:07 AM   #174
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Still, he is 100% right.
He might be right if the post had been directed towards other parties. He's not right about me, since my post had nothing behind it resembling the malicious intent that he ascribed to it.
Old December 6 2013, 06:19 AM   #175
davejames
Vice Admiral

AgentDreidel wrote: View Post
Regardless of what the actress looks like (I think she'll put on some weight and she'll be fine), I am ridiculously excited about this. The Big Three are coming to the big screen and it makes me feel like a kid again. I think it's just possible that DC/WB are finally getting their shit together in the face of Marvel's overwhelming succes, and it's about time. I think it's smart of them not to follow Marvel's exact blueprint as well. They need to catch up, and getting their three biggest names into a movie posthaste seems like a good way to do it.

Anyone think it's possible they might be pulling a bait-and-switch here? Like maybe at the next Comicon they'll go "Oh, by the way, Green Lantern and Flash are in this movie, too and it's now called 'Justice League'"? Just speculation, but it does seem that this is a lot bigger than a Man Of Steel sequel.
Yeah as a huge fan of MOS, I have to admit my enthusiasm dipped quite a bit with the announcement of Affleck (not because I'm an Affleck hater, but just because he seemed far from the ideal choice), but now the idea of actually getting to see the Big Three on the big screen together is suddenly making me much more excited again.

Although it does still seem far too early to introduce even more superheroes to this world than those. I'd hate for the MOS sequel to be so packed with costumed heroes and supervillains that it ceases to feel like the grounded, down-to-earth world of the first movie and becomes just another insulated, Avengers-style comic book world. Where all the characters seemingly do is spend their time interacting or fighting with other superheroes.

I really hope that doesn't happen here. At least not until a proper JL film where that thing is kind of expected.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 06:20 AM   #176
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Let's say you're a Marvel Studios exec (Kevin Feige or whoever). Does the news about Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman make a difference? Do you now want Marvel to get their own A-list superheroine (whoever that might be) on film? Or is all of this really not a big deal?
Not any kind of deal.

Marvel has the momentum and the big franchise already. DC's got Batman, Batman with superpowers (Man of Steel) and someone playing Wonder Woman who looks like she gets winded easily shopping in Neiman Marcus.

Marvel is pointing and laughing and maintaining their already winning plan.
Winded? The woman was a soldier and sports trainer, why would she get winded? Long distance runners are pretty thin. They're noted for their endurance.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 06:50 AM   #177
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I keep hearing people say Faora's actress trained for the part. I've seen sources that confirm that, but it seemed like a waste of time for her. She wore a bulky suit for 99% of her screen time, and as far as I could tell she was no more fit than Lois. If she was training she probably was, but its not like you could tell in the suit, and its not like she did any partcularly athletic stunts, it was all CG stuff.

Gadot could train for years and still be too small. She's a model, and she's there for eye candy. If she's a good actress that will just be a bonus to the studio. Training or not, she's always going to look like a stiff breeze could knock her senseless. She's just too scrawny to be WW, and no amount of training will fix that.

After seeing some clips of her, I'm not quite sure of her ability to act either, but that could still go either way. Regardless, this casting just sucks, and even if she can act, she could never be a good WW. Its like if they had gone insane and cast Seth Green as Superman. He could train for a decade, he'd still not work. Doesn't mean he's a bad actor, it just means there is no training or trick photography that could make him convincing in the role, and I think Gadot is in the same situation.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 07:08 AM   #178
Data Holmes
Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I keep hearing people say Faora's actress trained for the part. I've seen sources that confirm that, but it seemed like a waste of time for her. She wore a bulky suit for 99% of her screen time, and as far as I could tell she was no more fit than Lois. If she was training she probably was, but its not like you could tell in the suit, and its not like she did any partcularly athletic stunts, it was all CG stuff.

Gadot could train for years and still be too small. She's a model, and she's there for eye candy. If she's a good actress that will just be a bonus to the studio. Training or not, she's always going to look like a stiff breeze could knock her senseless. She's just too scrawny to be WW, and no amount of training will fix that.

After seeing some clips of her, I'm not quite sure of her ability to act either, but that could still go either way. Regardless, this casting just sucks, and even if she can act, she could never be a good WW. Its like if they had gone insane and cast Seth Green as Superman. He could train for a decade, he'd still not work. Doesn't mean he's a bad actor, it just means there is no training or trick photography that could make him convincing in the role, and I think Gadot is in the same situation.
I wish the rules would allow me to use the choice few words and phrases I'd like directed toward this post...
Old December 6 2013, 07:11 AM   #179
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I hope Snyder shoots this film in color, the first one was so gray...
Old December 6 2013, 07:13 AM   #180
sojourner
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
She's just too scrawny to be WW, and no amount of training will fix that.
Post proof or retract. There have been many examples of actor/actresses bulking up or slimming down to fit roles, some of them in this very thread.

Why not just call this what it is? Your standard preconceived hate for something you haven't seen. You've certainly established it in every thread about an upcoming movie you've ever entered.

For once why don't you wait to see a movie before you condemn it.