Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 5 2013, 09:00 PM   #136
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

I'm not arguing that point. I am trying to say a woman can be fit and muscular without looking like a body builder or pro wrestler.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 09:09 PM   #137
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Supposedly, according to some tellings of the story, her strength come from her magic girdle.

As long as she has that girdle, no matter how strong she appears to look, this character can still juggle firetrucks.

And really what does a woman with a "perfect figure" need with a girdle anyways?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 09:16 PM   #138
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I guess it all depends on which interpretation they will base her character on. The current continuity has her being the daughter of Zeus, so it's no mystery where she gets her strength.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 10:10 PM   #139
Agent Richard07
Retired

Kestrel wrote: View Post
BigJake wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman seems to be an object of fetish to a large slice of her fandom.
To be fair and without defending it, that's been there from the bginning.
Yeah, William Moulton Marston, the guy who created Wonder Woman, was a bondage fetishist and some of that made its way into the early comics.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 10:21 PM   #140
Christopher
Writer

But Marston was also a feminist and wanted to create a character that would be empowering for women. Wonder Woman has always straddled that awkward line between aspirational figure for women and fetish figure for men. The problems is that the male comics establishment has too often pushed the balance in the latter direction.

Really, if you ask me, the much-reviled "Diana Prince/New Wonder Woman" era from the late '60s, where she lost her powers and costume and became an Emma Peel-inspired secret agent type, was the period when she was least fetishized and most successful as a feminist symbol, because she was able to operate on the same level as Batman, say, without needing any special powers, and because, while she was always fashionable, her clothing wasn't particularly revealing or impractical.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 10:35 PM   #141
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Not women. Young girls. Comics are for children, especially back the, and he was trying to make sure that 7 year olds were empowered. Adult women would nod and smile, and then wonder how stupid Marston thought they were.

Steve Trevor marrying the fat secretary Eta Candy said more about female empowerment than Wonder Woman the metahuman ever did.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:17 PM   #142
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Supposedly, according to some tellings of the story, her strength come from her magic girdle.

As long as she has that girdle, no matter how strong she appears to look, this character can still juggle firetrucks.

And really what does a woman with a "perfect figure" need with a girdle anyways?
The girdle thing was only the Lynda Carter TV show. But, your point that looks have nothing to do with her strength is quite right. This is comics, a fantasy, let it be.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:26 PM   #143
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile

Regardless of what the actress looks like (I think she'll put on some weight and she'll be fine), I am ridiculously excited about this. The Big Three are coming to the big screen and it makes me feel like a kid again. I think it's just possible that DC/WB are finally getting their shit together in the face of Marvel's overwhelming succes, and it's about time. I think it's smart of them not to follow Marvel's exact blueprint as well. They need to catch up, and getting their three biggest names into a movie posthaste seems like a good way to do it.

Anyone think it's possible they might be pulling a bait-and-switch here? Like maybe at the next Comicon they'll go "Oh, by the way, Green Lantern and Flash are in this movie, too and it's now called 'Justice League'"? Just speculation, but it does seem that this is a lot bigger than a Man Of Steel sequel.
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:29 PM   #144
Gov Kodos
Admiral

I doubt it. The general audience doesn't really know or care about comics to the extent such a bait and switch would cause anything but confusion.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old December 5 2013, 11:35 PM   #145
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile

Gov Radner wrote: View Post
I doubt it. The general audience doesn't really know or care about comics to the extent such a bait and switch would cause anything but confusion.
That may have been true at one point, but I think the success of the Avengers speaks for itself. And the Avengers had much less mainstream recognition. Even my 75 year old parents have a basic idea of what the Justice League is.

I'm not saying I'm right. Again, it's speculation fueled by fanboy excitement. But I do think you're overlooking how much mainstream appeal comic book characters have gained.
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:39 PM   #146
Gov Kodos
Admiral

And as many people probably thought Green Hornet was a sequel to Green Lantern. They've got a new Batman in the suit, now a Wonder Woman cast, that may be enough one film trying to get a franchise rolling. Not impossible to introduce others, but I wouldn't expect it.
Old December 5 2013, 11:44 PM   #147
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

According to Variety the movie will also introduce the Flash, although it's not clear yet how big the part will be.
Old December 5 2013, 11:47 PM   #148
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

For some people, even if they know that Green Hornet isn't a sequel to Green Lantern, for all they know of either it might as well be, and they might pigeonhole both into the same genre, based on name alone, and maybe a still image or two from each, and understandably so.
Old December 5 2013, 11:53 PM   #149
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Coach Comet wrote: View Post
For some people, even if they know that Green Hornet isn't a sequel to Green Lantern, for all they know of either it might as well be, and they might pigeonhole both into the same genre, based on name alone, and maybe a still image or two from each, and understandably so.
They're apt to ask why they don't have Thor or Iron Man in this if they want a bunch of heroes.
Old December 5 2013, 11:57 PM   #150
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Gov Radner wrote: View Post
Coach Comet wrote: View Post
They're apt to ask why they don't have Thor or Iron Man in this if they want a bunch of heroes.
No kidding. I've heard that sort of question before. It made me facepalm, before facepalm was a word in common use.