Saturday Night Live Trek Skit
By: T'Bonz on Mar 3

Two IDW Publishing Trek Comics Previews

Shatner: Celebrate Life

March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old February 16 2015, 01:03 AM   #1
Taelon
Lieutenant Commander

Warehouse 13 *NO spoilers, please*

I've just bought season 1 of Warehouse 13 as I'd heard it was quite good, but I've never seen any episodes. It was in the bargain bin, so I thought I'd check it out. Me and my housemate will probably start watching it sometime this week.

Is anyone here a fan?
Taelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2015, 01:29 AM   #2
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Re: Warehouse 13 *NO spoilers, please*

I've watched it all the way through and kind of enjoyed it, despite it's being rather silly.

If I had my time over, I'd probably not bother, but it was lightweight easy viewing. Give it a try...
Old February 16 2015, 01:44 AM   #3
Christopher
Writer

It started out kind of clumsy, I felt, but got better over time (though it totally fell apart in its abbreviated final season). Unfortunately, Netflix only streams the first three seasons; I wish they'd get the rest so I could binge-watch.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2015, 01:46 AM   #4
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Yeah. I still haven't seen the last few episodes from last spring. Hoping Netflix gets 'em soon.
Old February 16 2015, 01:50 AM   #5
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

It takes a while to find its stride, but then it was quite fun.
Old February 16 2015, 02:00 AM   #6
Taelon
Lieutenant Commander

I enjoyed shows like The X-Files and Fringe, but when they were showing Warehouse 13 on TV a couple of years back, they didn't do any promotion of it at all, no TV trailers, nothing. Even the TV guide listings didn't give a synopsis of the episodes, just the title and showing time. I would have assumed it was a children's show if it wasn't for it being on in the late evening.

It was only because there were references made to Star Trek actors being recurring guest stars in the series that I investigated further.
Old February 16 2015, 02:11 AM   #7
Christopher
Writer

Ahh, yes, W13 had a lot of Trek people in it. Saul Rubinek ("The Most Toys") as a regular, of course, and recurring guest stars including Jeri Ryan, Kate Mulgrew, Rene Auberjonois, Brent Spiner, and Faran Tahir.

Not to mention other notable genre actors like CCH Pounder, Lindsay Wagner, Aaron Ashmore, Mark Sheppard (who was in Trek once but is more known for other things), Sasha Roiz, Amy Acker, Anthony Michael Hall, James Marsters, Anthony Stewart Head, and Kelly Hu.

Old February 16 2015, 02:25 AM   #8
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I've watched it all the way through and kind of enjoyed it
It has its moments but that sums it up. You would want to be pretty caught up on your viewing backlog before starting.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2015, 08:36 PM   #9
Richard Baker
Captain

I tired to watch it when it first came out and never could get into it. I bought the first season DVD set on sale with the intention of giving it another try later.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2015, 08:44 PM   #10
Let the Good Times Roll!!

I loved the show. Good fun.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2015, 08:53 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
I tired to watch it when it first came out and never could get into it. I bought the first season DVD set on sale with the intention of giving it another try later.
Its first season wasn't as good as what followed. But it's worth sitting through it to get to the good stuff.

Old February 17 2015, 02:26 AM   #12
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Okay, I'm biased since I wrote the one and only WH13 tie-in novel, but I was a big fan of the show even before I landed that gig. It's fun and clever and engaging, especially once Claudia joins the show and the cast starts gelling.

"Breakdown" is probably my favorite episode in Season One. If you like that one, you'll probably like the rest of the series. "Duped" is one of the better Season One episodes, too.

Don't judge the show by the first episode, which is okay, but which would be like judging TNG on the basis of "Encounter at Farpoint." The show is still finding itself at first.

And if you stick around for Season Two . . . you get an "unique" interpretation of H. G. Wells.

Last edited by Greg Cox; February 17 2015 at 03:45 AM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2015, 04:39 AM   #13
Taelon
Lieutenant Commander

Well I've watched the first four episodes. Pilot 1 & 2, Resonance and Magnetism.

I really disliked the first three, I kept shouting "JUST F**KING SHOOT THEM!" at the TV more times than I care to admit.

But Magnetism was sufficiently entertaining for me to want to watch more. I even laughed a few times.
Old February 17 2015, 05:40 PM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I've watched it all the way through and kind of enjoyed it, despite it's being rather silly.

If I had my time over, I'd probably not bother, but it was lightweight easy viewing. Give it a try...
And this is what makes horse races. I liked it because it was silly, not despite of it.

To my mind, "rather silly" is not necessarily a criticism. It can even be a plus.
Old February 18 2015, 02:52 AM   #15
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

And this is what makes horse races. I liked it because it was silly, not despite of it.

To my mind, "rather silly" is not necessarily a criticism. It can even be a plus.
Agreed.

It's not Battlestar Gallactica. It's light and fun. It succeeds at what it's trying to do.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote