RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,768
Posts: 5,434,090
Members: 24,840
Currently online: 622
Newest member: Reece101

TrekToday headlines

The Art of John Alvin Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 2 2013, 08:17 AM   #76
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Those seven years happen to be part of the 50 years, so it's three times during a 50-year-period.
I really don't know what you're trying to achieve here.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 09:19 AM   #77
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

I made a simple request regarding all the female Gallifreyans who are not Susan (since she seems to be Special somehow).

The show is 50 years old, not 7. Please stop trying to make this character seem more "referenced" than she really has been.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 10:20 AM   #78
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Regardless of how many references, I don't see how his granddaughter can be anything but special when you're talking about the show's mythos. The existence of female Time Lords isn't a particularly noteworthy thing in and of itself (unlike the potential gender-bending).

His child/ren and their mother/his wife (other than Elizabeth I and River of course) would also be special but we've never met them or learned their name.

Speaking of, the Ponds should probably be put in under the 11th since they're his parents-in-law. And Jenny under the 10th as his clone/daughter.

10th - regeneration "continues" for some time during which serious injuries continue to be healed. 11th - regeneration energy can be shared/passed between Time Lords for healing.

A human conceived while traveling in the time vortex becomes a Time Lord - that should go under 11, though not sure how you'd word it.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
When does he mention her "regularly"?
He mentioned her recently in "Fear Her", "Smith and Jones" and the "Rings of Akhaten".
She's also alluded to in "The Empty Child" and 'appears' (as audio and a body double) in "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS" and "The Name of the Doctor."
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 04:51 PM   #79
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
The Eye of Harmony was established in the Fourth Doctor era, but as the source of all the Time Lords' power beneath the citadel on Gallifrey. The idea of there being an Eye in the TARDIS Cloister Room powering the TARDIS was a TVM invention.

It's a tiny thing, not really a major mythological development, but the Cloister Room itself and with it the Cloister Bell, can (just) come under the Fourth Doctor, having been introduced under JN-T's watch in Tom's final story Logopolis.
The idea of using solar engineering to power their time travel was introduced in Pertwee's The Three Doctor's. Omega was the engineer, so he's more important than just a typical villian.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 05:05 PM   #80
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
"Time-wimey" plots are therefore something that could come under the Tenth Doctor era?
Davison's Mawdryn Undead is time wimey. Multiple time zones and a duplicate Brigadier!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 07:55 PM   #81
Iamnotspock
Captain
 
Location: Bristol, England
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
"Time-wimey" plots are therefore something that could come under the Tenth Doctor era?
Davison's Mawdryn Undead is time wimey. Multiple time zones and a duplicate Brigadier!

Mr Awe
As is Pertwee's Day of the Daleks, with an ontological paradox at the centre of the story. Moffat made it a regular thing.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 08:20 PM   #82
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

It's annoying that "timey-wimey" has become meaningless technobabble when the writers can't be bothered to come up with explanations that make sense.

BTW, there should be an entry for companions killed while traveling with the Doctor, starting with the First Doctor (Sara Kingdom and Katerina), the Fifth Doctor (Adric and Kamelion), the Sixth Doctor (Peri, although if you believe the Time Lords, she wasn't really killed), and whoever else may have died in the modern era - I haven't seen all of them yet.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 08:31 PM   #83
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
"Time-wimey" plots are therefore something that could come under the Tenth Doctor era?
Davison's Mawdryn Undead is time wimey. Multiple time zones and a duplicate Brigadier!

Mr Awe
As is Pertwee's Day of the Daleks, with an ontological paradox at the centre of the story. Moffat made it a regular thing.
You could say a similar thing about the sonic screwdriver!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 08:44 PM   #84
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain
 
AgentCoop's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Admittedly, my knowledge of Dr. Who pre-2005 is limited, so I'm not sure when the concept first appeared, but shouldn't the chameleon arch/fob watch thing warrant a mention?

Edit: Similarly, when was the idea of the broken chameleon circuit first introduced?
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 08:49 PM   #85
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

AgentCoop wrote: View Post

Edit: Similarly, when was the idea of the broken chameleon circuit first introduced?
In the very first Hartnell episode, when they landed in caveman times and it stayed a Police Call Box.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 09:25 PM   #86
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Admittedly, my knowledge of Dr. Who pre-2005 is limited, so I'm not sure when the concept first appeared, but shouldn't the chameleon arch/fob watch thing warrant a mention?
The chameleon arch originated in the Tenth Doctor storyline "Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood" by Paul Cornell. That 2-parter was based on Cornell's 1995 Seventh Doctor novel Human Nature, but in that book, the Doctor's transformation into a human was achieved by different means.


Sindatur wrote: View Post
AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Edit: Similarly, when was the idea of the broken chameleon circuit first introduced?
In the very first Hartnell episode, when they landed in caveman times and it stayed a Police Call Box.
True, except the actual name "chameleon circuit" wasn't coined until over 17 years later in "Logopolis," the Fourth Doctor's final story. The first episode merely described the TARDIS's ability to change appearance without naming the mechanism responsible. The first onscreen mention of such a mechanism was in the Third Doctor's "The Time Meddler," wherein it was called a "camouflage unit." However, an unproduced 1966 radio play referred to it as the "Electronic Chameleon System." (Whereas the 1996 movie cribbed the term "cloaking device" from Star Trek.)

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Chameleon_circuit
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 01:02 AM   #87
UssGlenn
Captain
 
UssGlenn's Avatar
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Kestrel wrote: View Post
A human conceived while traveling in the time vortex becomes a Time Lord - that should go under 11, though not sure how you'd word it.
That doesn't create a Time Lord, it just gives someone trying to create one artificialy a head start.
__________________
"What are you going to do?"
"I don't know. I'm making this up as I go."
UssGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 02:34 AM   #88
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Christopher wrote: View Post
AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Admittedly, my knowledge of Dr. Who pre-2005 is limited, so I'm not sure when the concept first appeared, but shouldn't the chameleon arch/fob watch thing warrant a mention?
The chameleon arch originated in the Tenth Doctor storyline "Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood" by Paul Cornell. That 2-parter was based on Cornell's 1995 Seventh Doctor novel Human Nature, but in that book, the Doctor's transformation into a human was achieved by different means.


Sindatur wrote: View Post
AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Edit: Similarly, when was the idea of the broken chameleon circuit first introduced?
In the very first Hartnell episode, when they landed in caveman times and it stayed a Police Call Box.
True, except the actual name "chameleon circuit" wasn't coined until over 17 years later in "Logopolis," the Fourth Doctor's final story. The first episode merely described the TARDIS's ability to change appearance without naming the mechanism responsible. The first onscreen mention of such a mechanism was in the Third Doctor's "The Time Meddler," wherein it was called a "camouflage unit." However, an unproduced 1966 radio play referred to it as the "Electronic Chameleon System." (Whereas the 1996 movie cribbed the term "cloaking device" from Star Trek.)

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Chameleon_circuit
Though Terrance Dicks' novelisations call it the Chameleon Circuit as far back as 1975. One of many details that start out in the Target books and later get confirmed onscreen having become fanon in the meantime.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 03:02 AM   #89
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
A human conceived while traveling in the time vortex becomes a Time Lord - that should go under 11, though not sure how you'd word it.
That doesn't create a Time Lord, it just gives someone trying to create one artificialy a head start.
Ah, ok. I was still a bit unclear on the specifics there.
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 03:10 AM   #90
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

diankra wrote: View Post
Though Terrance Dicks' novelisations call it the Chameleon Circuit as far back as 1975. One of many details that start out in the Target books and later get confirmed onscreen having become fanon in the meantime.
That's interesting. What are some of the others?

Of course, since Dicks was the show's story editor for some time, these could be the kind of details that are part of the series bible or behind-the-scenes materials but only belatedly get mentioned onscreen.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.