Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 30 2013, 10:14 PM   #16
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Sad/happy/bittersweet endings

Our struggles all end in death.

I would have preferred a more ambiguous ending for NuBSG, though there was a certain peace to it which was also nice. Out of the darkness of space, into the sun.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 10:41 PM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

"Revelations" would have been the ending if the writers' strike had gone on just a bit longer.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 11:24 PM   #18
Pondwater
Commodore

It depends. Ambiguous endings are the best.

I'm not a big fan of "Happily Ever After…" Disney versions of things. Not after reading some of the Tales the films were based on.

...All night long...
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 11:26 PM   #19
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I think Revelations would have been a rather typical sci fi ending. I'm glad it didn't end there.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 12:38 AM   #20
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

So, either way, Tom Cruise's obnoxious son, his endlessly screaming and hyperventilating daughter, and Cruise himself are most likely screwed just as soon as Morgan Freeman finishes his monologue (not even evil genocidal aliens will interrupt that golden voice).
One of the most annoying families in the history of movies being wiped out - that is a happy ending I would have liked to see.

The Native Americans though, everything worked out great for them in the end.
I am sadden by the ending of Dances With Wolves because I know that everyone's happiness will be shorrt-lived. Terrible things will befall them in a matter of years.

If the film's basic story is "guy has to fight against death" and then dies, what is the fucking point? Don't give me that "it's all about the journey" crap. The journey is absolutely pointless if the outcome is "he did not overcome the obstacles". Just imagine how absolutely pointless Lord of the Rings would be if, at the very end, Sauron kills Frodo, gets the ring and destroys all humans. Yay! What a waste of paper, ink and eventually celluloid. Now imagine Sauron actually manages to do all that, but the story continues with a new set of characters that finally manage to defeat him. Now that's would be better.
I take it you aren't a great fan of the endings of The Road, Thelma and Louise and Dead Man?

Last edited by Miss Chicken; December 1 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 01:09 AM   #21
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
If the film's basic story is "guy has to fight against death" and then dies, what is the fucking point? Don't give me that "it's all about the journey" crap. The journey is absolutely pointless if the outcome is "he did not overcome the obstacles". Just imagine how absolutely pointless Lord of the Rings would be if, at the very end, Sauron kills Frodo, gets the ring and destroys all humans. Yay! What a waste of paper, ink and eventually celluloid. Now imagine Sauron actually manages to do all that, but the story continues with a new set of characters that finally manage to defeat him. Now that's would be better.
I take it you aren't a great fan of the endings of The Road, Thelma and Louise and Dead Man?
I'd say that's true. Haven't seen The Road, but the description of the ending on Wikipedia tells me I'd hate it.

Similar offender: No Country For Old Men. A good first half, or even two thirds, and then utterly ruined by the last act.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 03:30 PM   #22
J.T.B.
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I want the story to make sense and have a point.

If the film's basic story is "guy has to fight against death" and then dies, what is the fucking point?
Everyone loses a fight against death eventually. Those stories shouldn't be off-limits. Somebody in some movie even said "How we face death is as least as important as how we face life."

Defeat is the beginning or middle of a story, not the end.
Unless it is the end. For every winner there's a loser, and it is not always the good guys. Some struggles come up short, but we often learn more from defeat from winning. You may not like it personally, but it's a perfectly valid kind of story.

Similar offender: No Country For Old Men. A good first half, or even two thirds, and then utterly ruined by the last act.
Disagreed. The last third elevates it from a fairly engaging chase movie to a personal story that approaches cinematic greatness.

For a great take on "Hollywood happy endings" I'd recommend Robert Altman's The Player, 1992.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:14 PM   #23
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Why do so many people want happy endings for books or movies even when that happy ending is unrealistic or forced?
Guilty as charged. I prefer happy ends because life is terrible enough. I want a little happiness at least in fiction.
It seems that American movies are the ones that have more happy endings than movies from elsewhere. Do you think this is what most Americans want or not?
I don't know why they do it but they even alter Grimm's fairy tales! In the original texts the evil guys get burned to death, drawn and quartered or put into barrels with nails and rolled down a hill. Snowwhite's stepmom must dance in red-hot iron shoes till she drops dead. In the American versions they are just left behind when their victims escape.
Maybe - but that's only a speculation - altering things helps Americans to feel that those things belong to them. By changing them they make them theirs. And maybe there's just a tiny hint of we-can-do-everything-better-than-you attitude.
*ducks and waits for flying pies from across the Atlantic*
Can you think of any book or movie that would have been improved by having a sadder ending (or vice versa)?
Perhaps the last episode of VOY. It was a bit too artificial in my opinion. The writers tried desperately to tie all lose ends up and the result was a big tuft intead of a smooth yarn.

Last edited by rhubarbodendron; December 4 2013 at 08:24 PM.
rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:22 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
I prefer happy ends because life is terrible enough. I want a little happiness at least in fiction.
I totally agree.

I mean, I don't expect to ever see happy endings; I'm just happy when, by some stroke of luck, we get some. As you say, life is bad enough. Fiction should be uplifting!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:27 PM   #25
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

that's propably why Trek and Star Wars are still so popular: the goodies always win, no matter what the odds are.
Old December 10 2013, 02:31 AM   #26
Velocity
Rear Admiral

I prefer my entertainment to make me laugh or at the very least to not depress me. There is enough nastiness and depressing news in life, I choose to be amused and try to pick entertainment that does that.
Old December 10 2013, 05:05 AM   #27
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I always wondered why people watch something that disturbs and depresses them.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 05:34 AM   #28
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I like ambiguous, bittersweet, or sad endings quite a bit. Happy endings are fine in certain circumstances, but I normally find them to be a bit of a lie and I don't think they're particularly helpful. When I see a movie that touches me or disturbs me, I'm having a real experience, one that will no doubt touch my life in some regard. The ending of Mulholland Drive absolutely slays me every time and I find it transcendent. I would never want to see a happy ending version of that film.
Old December 10 2013, 07:42 AM   #29
RoJoHen
Awesome

I like happy/sad endings. Like, endings that are so happy that they make me cry. Like the last episode of LOST, where I started crying 5 separate times.
Old December 10 2013, 08:00 AM   #30
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
On a similar note, Hollywood also tends to overdramatize everything with stupid characters and contrivances. Had Apollo 13 been fictional, they would have tried to kill each other, one would have had to sacrifice himself due to a technical malfunction and eventually, only one would have survived, but with an outlook to a terrible trauma.
Reminds me of The Core. Ridiculous idea, where pretty much every single character dies except for the 2 main characters, because they are each respective love interests.

But I can't, off the top of my head, think of a more depressing movie than "My Girl".

Who the fuck thinks killing the girl's only friend while everything else in the girl's life is going to shit was a good idea?