MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Your grade?
A+ 21 40.38%
A 15 28.85%
A- 4 7.69%
B+ 2 3.85%
B 4 7.69%
B- 3 5.77%
C+ 2 3.85%
C 1 1.92%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 27 2014, 03:48 AM   #76
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Re: Disney's Frozen - Grading and Discussion

Ah, you're right about how 'HCA' came up, it's difficult to follow the way people tweet some times. I would differ on the interpretation of Lee's reply, since she says "Not necessarily for HCA" as opposed to "Not necessarily mental illness", especially since as you've pointed out, the person Lee is responding to is specifically addressing (her and HCA's) mental illness but it's open to different POVs.

^ My point was that anxiety and depression aren't, necessarily (or absolutely), signs of mental illness. One can be both depressed and experience anxiety without being mentally ill.
And I agree, as I said in the above post!

So, yes, like the struggles of the LGBT community...
Yep.

But it's not necessarily, nor explicitly so, since anxiety and depression are part of many challenging moments in life and do not always denote a mental illness (or do you mean to suggest that the anxiety and depression felt by someone struggling to come "out of the closet" is a sign that they have a mental illness?).
I'd be a fool to think that one immediately follows the other. However, I'd also be a fool to think that someone coping with a situation as unfairly stressful as that can be could never be susceptible either, just as with any number of triggers.

Again, the metaphor is bigger than any single issue.
Yes, absolutely! If you look back and read what wrote, I've never said otherwise.

What do people think of Anna and Elsa's parents? Good parents who made mistakes trying to protect their children? Bad parents who basically locked them up?
Old January 27 2014, 04:37 AM   #77
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I saw this at a preview screening at ILM in 3D a while back.

I thought Olaf was one of the best comic sidekicks ever because he was genuinely sweet and naive and selfless and not just a smart ass or dumb assed buffoon.

I'm surprised no one mentioned what I thought was the most significant twist in the film, that
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 04:42 AM   #78
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ Yeah, the act of "true love" was certainly atypical for animated films - particularly for the expectation of Disney animation (given its long a storied tradition of conveying "true love" and "happily ever afters"). Like many other elements of this movie, it played on audience expectations and subverted them - in this case, twice over ...
Old January 27 2014, 05:35 AM   #79
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, the act of "true love" was certainly atypical for animated films - particularly for the expectation of Disney animation (given its long a storied tradition of conveying "true love" and "happily ever afters"). Like many other elements of this movie, it played on audience expectations and subverted them - in this case, twice over ...
That was probably what put the movie over the top for me.

Old January 27 2014, 05:38 AM   #80
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3776&p=.htm

Box Office Mojo wrote:
Its worldwide tally has now passed $810 million. If it lives up to its potential in China (Feb. 5th) and Japan (March 15th), it should ultimately reach $1 billion.
Frozen seems likely to reach $1 billion dollars. It will end up almost tied with Toy Story 3. That's just incredible. It's great to see this movie get the reception that it deserves. Unless it bombs in China or Japan, but that seems highly unlikely.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 05:44 AM   #81
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3776&p=.htm

Box Office Mojo wrote:
Its worldwide tally has now passed $810 million. If it lives up to its potential in China (Feb. 5th) and Japan (March 15th), it should ultimately reach $1 billion.
Frozen seems likely to reach $1 billion dollars. It will end up almost tied with Toy Story 3. That's just incredible. It's great to see this movie get the reception that it deserves. Unless it bombs in China or Japan, but that seems highly unlikely.
Don't forget, Frozen is getting another kick with the release of the Sing Along version. I know that feels gimmicky, but this is a brilliant marketing strategy from Disney, especially with the Oscar nominations already announced.

By the way, I bought the soundtrack after I got home from seeing it and it's really the only thing I've been listening to all weekend. Well worth the purchase.
Old January 29 2014, 03:04 AM   #82
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

I don't think I've gravitated to a soundtrack anymore than I have with the Frozen Soundtrack. I loved it in the movie and actually bought it when I got home. Just curious, does anyone actually like the Demi Lovato version of "Let it Go"? It doesn't compare to Manzel, but really how could it. The more I listen to Demi's version the more I just find it a catchy pop song. Nothing wrong with that really. Perhaps it's just turning into a guilty pleasure.
Old January 29 2014, 03:18 AM   #83
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

I think it's a nice variation of the original. There's nothing "wrong" with it and it's a very good performance in its own right ... it's just that Manzel's version is so damned powerful that a comparison is almost unfair.
Old January 29 2014, 03:20 AM   #84
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

I think it's a nice variation of the original. There's nothing "wrong" with it and it's a very good performance in its own right ... it's just that Manzel's version is so damned powerful that a comparison is almost unfair.
That's what I mean, and Disney has been doing this even during the Golden Era. They had the songs in the movies, but they also had Celine Dion doing Beauty and the Beast, or Peabo Bryson doing A Whole New World, or Elton John doing 3 songs from The Lion King. There is comparison, just songs that were done as radio friendly songs from the movies.
Old January 29 2014, 03:45 AM   #85
JD
Admiral

Didn't Elton John already sing the songs in the movie?
Old January 29 2014, 03:48 AM   #86
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
During the credits. Same with Lovato.
Old January 29 2014, 04:18 AM   #87
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post

I think, because it's the character herself singing the song, Manzel's rendition - as the character's performer - becomes the definitive version.

Whereas, in the Lion King, for example, the song is kind of a "voice over" - which leaves Elton John's version more able to take on a life of its own.
Old January 29 2014, 04:34 AM   #88
Dream
Admiral

I really like that Disney did two versions of "Let It Go" for Frozen, one in the movie and one during the credits. It reminded me how they did it all the time during the Disney Renaissance Films.
Old January 29 2014, 08:06 PM   #89
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
^ I'm a "grown man" and not afraid to admit that the "Let It Go" song/sequence chokes me up a bit. I've seen it twice with my daughter (and maybe that's why the song strikes a chord with me), but I wouldn't hesitate to see it by myself, either.
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
For me... "The First Time in Forever" reprise gets me. Couldn't say why. "Let It Go" sounds like a song of defiance.
I'm 29 and I choked up a couple of times, especially during "Let it Go".
The only time I really choked up was the first verse of "Do you want to build a snowman?" Little Anna looked so sad when she sang "Okay, Bye," it was heartbreaking.

"Let it Go," didn't choke me up at all. I was too busy looking at the ice palace like this and thinking Elsa was bad-ass from then through the rest of the movie.

Dream wrote: View Post
I really like that Disney did two versions of "Let It Go" for Frozen, one in the movie and one during the credits. It reminded me how they did it all the time during the Disney Renaissance Films.
I'm just not crazy about Demi Lovato. From Camp Rock onward most of her "singing ability" stems from being able to scream on key. Her version is the first time i've ever heard her actually carry a note...and she doesn't carry them anywhere near as well as Idina Menzel.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 10:31 PM   #90
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I did cry during Let it Go on first viewing and cried again during Let it Go when we saw it a second time. So, it got to me.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote