Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Your grade?
A+ 21 40.38%
A 15 28.85%
A- 4 7.69%
B+ 2 3.85%
B 4 7.69%
B- 3 5.77%
C+ 2 3.85%
C 1 1.92%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 3 2014, 11:49 PM   #136
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Re: Disney's Frozen - Grading and Discussion

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
Well deserved wins for animated film and Let it Go. Manzel was great in that performance.
Except for the last high note Reminded me of a scene of Glee (in which Menzel had a small arc too) where one of the male characters sang a challenging song and flubbed an equally high note (turned out it was intentional).

I'm not at all surprised that Frozen is doing so well.. for once girls are the center characters and they're not pretty bystanders in the adventure but central to the story. I really like the writing on that one and it's got some very catchy songs on top of it.

Well deserved Oscar i have to say.
Old March 4 2014, 09:28 PM   #137
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Both my wife and I were surprised at Menzel's performance - shocked even. She truly sounded like she was rushing herself and was definitely ahead of the music by half a beat or more at times. And then yes, that' final belt note... I'm wondering if her monitors were out of sync or just not working and she was trying to compensate.

Some people have suggested that she's been losing her voice in the last couple years and has scaled back her work accordingly. I really hope not, but if this is happening, it sucks that this could be one of her last live TV appearances. It didn't help that Travolta royally messed up her name too.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 12:41 AM   #138
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
It didn't help that Travolta royally messed up her name too.
Adele Dazeem...

The word "dyslexia" keeps getting floated around, but that's not what that was. That was bad eyesight and poor preparation mixed with whatever adult beverage John Travolta was powering down on Oscar Night. I mean, even if there was a legitimate reason he couldn't read her name off a 'prompter, the intro was obviously scripted, which means at some point during rehearsals you would think he'd been told at least once that he was introducing Idina Menzel and his memory would have kicked in as the flub started.

But no...Adele Dazeem, the most famous non-person on the planet right now...I'm following her on Twitter...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 01:46 AM   #139
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Here's a much nicer live version of Let It Go:

http://youtu.be/17QQcK4l6Yw
Old March 5 2014, 03:25 AM   #140
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

The arraignment was sped up and portion of the song was chopped for time just before her performance because of the show going over. It's a three and half minute song reduced to just over two minutes for the broadcast. From the start you can tell she was out of sorts, probably from having to remember where the changes were. When you sing a song over and over again, it becomes second nature but to add wholesale changes make even professional broadway singers nervous and uncomfortable. About half way through, after her initial bout of nervousness she was freer. However she had to really rush the last few lines of the lyrics and don't think she recovered for the last high note. If you watch the Jimmy Fallon version you can see that one was also quicker but more natural and how effortlessly she hits that last note.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 08:48 AM   #141
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Adele Dazeem...

The word "dyslexia" keeps getting floated around, but that's not what that was. That was bad eyesight and poor preparation mixed with whatever adult beverage John Travolta was powering down on Oscar Night. I mean, even if there was a legitimate reason he couldn't read her name off a 'prompter, the intro was obviously scripted, which means at some point during rehearsals you would think he'd been told at least once that he was introducing Idina Menzel and his memory would have kicked in as the flub started.

But no...Adele Dazeem, the most famous non-person on the planet right now...I'm following her on Twitter...
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/l...olta_name.html

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Here's a much nicer live version of Let It Go:

http://youtu.be/17QQcK4l6Yw
Not a song best suited to Jimmy's Classroom Instruments thing (stolen from DMK on Youtube I think...) but she's looks so pretty smiling throughout.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 09:54 PM   #142
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I'm cool with that. Idina is a very classy singer and it's a shame they changed things up on her at the last minute. Such is the biz in live TV I suppose.

And just because I can, and hopefully because a couple of you may enjoy it, here's my wife and myself goofing around and singing "Love Is An Open Door":

While here she is singing "Libérée, délivrée", the French version of "Let It Go", because she's a professional singer from Quebec, and because SHE can. :P

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 03:33 AM   #143
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
The arraignment was sped up and portion of the song was chopped for time just before her performance because of the show going over. It's a three and half minute song reduced to just over two minutes for the broadcast. From the start you can tell she was out of sorts, probably from having to remember where the changes were. When you sing a song over and over again, it becomes second nature but to add wholesale changes make even professional broadway singers nervous and uncomfortable. About half way through, after her initial bout of nervousness she was freer. However she had to really rush the last few lines of the lyrics and don't think she recovered for the last high note. If you watch the Jimmy Fallon version you can see that one was also quicker but more natural and how effortlessly she hits that last note.
Agreed. As I mentioned upthread, it felt like the arrangement was paced too quickly. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought so. I loved how fun and free the Fallon version is. Shows what Menzel can do when given the chance to let her voice fully hit those notes.
Old March 6 2014, 06:16 AM   #144
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I don't usually go to Youtube and start posting covers of songs all that much (if at all) but I heard this and figured I would share it. This is Let it Go from a Male perspective. It really shows how hard of a song this is to sing, and that just doing it as an Oscar performance on the fly is almost impossible to live up to the original.

Old March 6 2014, 06:51 AM   #145
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Interesting clip. Thanks for sharing it. I can't pretend to know anything about how difficult that performance was (I imagine it's exceedingly challenging, and I concede at the outset I'd be nowhere near able to match it). But I'd say this performer is at his best when he isn't trying to overdo the needless deeper, growling tones and is more closely matching what we hear from Menzel.
Old March 6 2014, 09:27 AM   #146
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

While here she is singing "Libérée, délivrée", the French version of "Let It Go", because she's a professional singer from Quebec, and because SHE can. :P
Very nice (très bon?)
Old March 6 2014, 11:01 AM   #147
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Since we're talking about covers, has anyone seen the africanized tribal version of Let It Go?
Old March 6 2014, 04:20 PM   #148
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Since we're talking about covers, has anyone seen the africanized tribal version of Let It Go?
Wasn't expecting the vocals to be left so untouched (and by a little white girl no less), made for a weird mix.
Old March 6 2014, 06:16 PM   #149
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Adele Dazeem...

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/l...olta_name.html

Thanks. I am now "Declan Cambeem"

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 10:46 PM   #150
Dream
Admiral

Even The Muppets are having fun with the Adele Dazeem thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZecuWBC0LU