Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 13 2014, 04:50 AM   #1
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Warner Bros. Lands Two Writers for ‘Aquaman’ Movie

Variety.com

Warner Bros. and DC are starting to rev up their solo DC properties with the studio tapping “300: Rise of an Empire” scribe Kurt Johnstad to write one script and “Gangster Squad” writer Will Beall to pen another script to their “Aquaman” pic.

An insider close to the project explained that the two wouldn’t be co-writing the project, but that they would be writing separate scripts with the studio hoping for the best version to come out of this strategy.
I'll refrain from making any (lame) Entourage joke here...
Old August 13 2014, 05:18 AM   #2
JD
Admiral

Re: Warner Bros. Lands Two Writers for ‘Aquaman’ Movie

I guess hiring two writers to simultaneously write two different versions of the same movie must be a fairly regular thing now. I only first heard about of it happening in the last year or two.
It will definitely be interesting to see how they tackle the character.

Variety has also confirmed that Jason Momoa will be playing Aquaman in Batman v Superman. Presumably since these are part of the same universe, he'll play Aquaman in this too.
Old August 13 2014, 05:24 AM   #3
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Aquaman?

Seriously? Aquaman?
Old August 13 2014, 06:00 AM   #4
JD
Admiral

Yeah. Even though a lot of people make fun of him, he's one of DC's biggest characters and is a total badass. I mean come on, the dude rides sharks and throws polar bears at people. How is that not badass?
Old August 13 2014, 06:14 AM   #5
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

That's the Super Friends! (Well, the big four.)

<---- not kidding
Old August 13 2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

AQUA-, AQUAMAN!

Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 02:15 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
I guess hiring two writers to simultaneously write two different versions of the same movie must be a fairly regular thing now. I only first heard about of it happening in the last year or two.
I heard of the practice some years ago -- involving one of the Trek movies, I think -- so it's been going on for a while. Basically, most Hollywood feature scripts these days are amalgams of multiple different drafts by numerous different writers, most of whom do not end up credited onscreen, and it saves time to have two separate teams developing competing versions.

I have no problem with the idea of a film that could dispel the popular perception of Aquaman as just a lame Superfriends character. I mean, he's the ruler of 3/4 of the Earth, he's one of the most physically powerful DC heroes (as you'd have to be to survive the crushing pressures, frigid cold, and abundant predators of the deep sea), and he's one of the few DC superheroes to be a successful family man with a wife who's also a superhero in her own right (although that may not be the case in the comics currently since the DC leadership at this point doesn't seem to think their characters should have successful relationships). There's no reason he shouldn't be an impressive character. And hear, hear for casting him with an actor who isn't just another blond white guy.

But... we get this before we get a definite Wonder Woman movie? Aquaman's important, but Wonder Woman's more so. She should come first.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 03:47 PM   #8
grendelsbayne
Commander

^To be fair, all we're getting right now is confirmation that someone's working on a script. We've had that several times over for Wonder Woman already. The problem is getting the development process to actually move beyond just writing scripts.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 04:13 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

^A fair point, but we keep hearing more and more news about male-led superhero films and hardly anything about female-led ones, and it remains frustrating.

Old August 13 2014, 07:45 PM   #10
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think there's a lot of potential in the idea of an Aquaman movie, and all the water-based action could make for a very unique and different looking superhero movie.

But it does seem like a character Warners would be wise to wait on a bit, til after they establish a lot of other, more popular characters first (much like Marvel waited for the right time to introduce Guardians and Ant Man).

And I do agree that we should definitely see a WW movie (or hell, even a Supergirl movie) before an Aquaman one.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 08:02 PM   #11
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

No, we need an Aquaman soon, befor Marvel uses Namor in which case Aauaman will seem like trying to capitalize from a very similar character.

I'd love to see an Aquaman movie, only if they do him right and use him as the bad-ass king of the seven seas that he is rather than the wimpy Super Friends version who "talks to fish" and always needs to be wet.
Old August 13 2014, 08:11 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
I heard of the practice some years ago -- involving one of the Trek movies, I think...
Generations with Braga and Moore working on one script and Maurice Hurley working on the other.

Old August 13 2014, 09:58 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I'd love to see an Aquaman movie, only if they do him right and use him as the bad-ass king of the seven seas that he is rather than the wimpy Super Friends version who "talks to fish" and always needs to be wet.
But why would anyone expect it to be that version? Super Friends was decades ago. Sure, it's been brought back as something of a running joke, mainly by that Cartoon Network short back in the '00s that mashed up the Super Friends with the Powerpuff Girls, and probably by Robot Chicken now and then, but it's a small and very old part of the total amount of Aquaman-related screen content that's out there already.

Although I still say that the ideal version of Aquaman is the "Outrageous!" one from Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Old August 13 2014, 10:26 PM   #14
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Question: when Aquaman takes a leak, does it float around and get everywhere? Or does he have dry spaces for that?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2014, 04:46 AM   #15
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
But why would anyone expect it to be that version? Super Friends was decades ago. Sure, it's been brought back as something of a running joke, mainly by that Cartoon Network short back in the '00s that mashed up the Super Friends with the Powerpuff Girls, and probably by Robot Chicken now and then, but it's a small and very old part of the total amount of Aquaman-related screen content that's out there already.
It's been around for a while. Seanbaby on the web gave him a good razzing back in the day. I remember the show The State on MTV back in the early 90's had a sketch which I can't find a clip of but did find a transcript:

Batman (David): Good, Flash is already here. You all know what to do.

All: No.

Batman: Well, the volcano's exploded, we've got to act fast.

Superman (Ken): Right, Batman, Robin, you find some way to block future transmissions. Wonder Woman, you stop Dr. Spiker, and find out what he knows. Flash, run to the Andes Mountains, and get those plants. I'll go stop the missiles that have already been launched. Aquaman, you go...talk to some fish!

All (except Aquaman): (Laughing hysterically)

Really it's not much of a leap for those that grew up with the Superfriends and Saturday Morning Aquaman.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote