RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,695
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 501
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 2 2013, 11:53 PM   #1
stj
Rear Admiral

Red John: The Final Chapter

Don't know if anyone else is watching, but this is the culmination of a years long arc. Arc's are supposed to be a good thing, right?

To update those who are just vaguely interested (or whose finger just twitched innopportunely, accidentally clicking on the thread,)
Ass-Kicking Bimbo/Quasi-Love Interest for Patrick Jane, having found out that Red John wasn't really her bestie but had killed her sister, dropped the hint to Jane that Jane had actually met Red John, shaking the man's hand. Jane promptly recalled everyone whose hand he had shaken and ruled out everyone who could not be Red John.

He came up with a list of seven names. Two were from Visualize, coming from the old cult connection, Brett Stiles the leader and Ray Haffner the Visualize LE connection. One came from the blind woman on Red John's apparent commute, Sheriff McAllister. Rounding out the list were four LE people, the new medical examiner (who replaced the guy Jane euthanased,) an FBI agent Reed Somebody (I've already forgotten his name again!) pompous CBI boss Gale Bertram and Homeland Security creep Bob Kirkland.

Now we saw Kirkland looking at Jane's list last season. Red John spooked Jane and Lisbon by telling Jane who his seven suspects were (in a mash note.) Red John gave the winnowing process a helping hand by killing the ME. We then hear that Jane has planted a fake list. In last week's episode we see that Bob Kirkland has begun kidnapping, torturing and killing the fake suspects. We also see that Bob believes there is a vast conspiracy, signaled by the phrase "tiger, tiger."

Jane wass kidnapped by Kirkland, who is in pursuit of the real list (and really pissy about the fake list too.) Lisbon rode to the rescue. We see Reed Whozis getting all smarmy with prisoner Kirland, mumbling "tiger, tiger" in a really punk tone of voice. Prisoner Kirkland is then murdered while "attempting to escape." This doesn't fool Our Heroes, but what are they gonna do?

At first glance, this puts Reed in the lead as Red John. Not to mention, he's plump enough that the Red John face is not a bad likeness! Jane doesn't know this, but he thinks that the short list of five is small enough to handle. As in, judging from the previews, kidnapping them all at once. Maybe he's going to try the burying alive bit en masse?

However, Bob Kirkland told Jane that he was after Red John for revenge. His black sheep brother had met a "man," meaning that Red John recruited brother Michael into the Red John Fan Club. In other words, there is an Evil Twin.

The man Michael met could of course have been Brett Stiles, whose Visualize cult taught Red John the nuts and bolts of manipulating people in a cult. Which means that the Evil Twin could be Red John.

What candidates does anyone interested favor? Do we like the Evil Twin possibility? Do we think this arc has gone completely nuts like most do?
Old November 3 2013, 07:15 PM   #2
lennier1
Commodore

Re: Red John: The Final Chapter

One way or the other, it just feels right for the show to finally come to a conclusion.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Nociod
Fleet Captain

This post will have obvious spoilers, so consider yourself warned.

It could be anyone of the suspects. All of a sudden they all seem to whistle, have phobias (the sheriff had a phobia of pigeons, while the other guy had one of spiders)
Brett Stiles is too old to be considered a ‘middle aged man’, so I don’t really see him being Red John. I bet he do know him though.
Anyone else bothered that Jane jumped to the conclusion that Red John has a tattoo? All he knows is that whoever killed the PI had a tattoo. Why did it had to be Red John who killed her?, he could have sent one of his minions. If it was him, why did he not kill her right away or do the trademark smiley? Seems a bit strange that he would leave her just enough alive so she could give away his description.
I hope he’s not the evil twin, but who knows. I’ve read theories that its actually Patrick himself, but that would be jumping the shark big time
Nociod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 03:09 AM   #4
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

My money's on Haffner at this point. Someone on TV Guide's website discussion area posted a few theories.

Caretaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Australis
Writer

My theory: none of them. It is instead a big conspiracy with the passphrase "tiger, tiger". Back in season 2 or 3 the boss used the whole line from the poem, so he should be on the list. But in fact Red John is leading Jane & co. to the conspiracy which will fall the the season finale, and the show will in fact run for another season as they finally track down RJ.

"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Aragorn
Admiral

So Sunday's big Red John episode got preempted for some reason (football running long on the east coast?) and they showed a rerun instead, even though The Good Wife was a new episode.

Canada got to see it though, so it's out there to find.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 09:38 PM   #7
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Aragorn wrote: View Post
So Sunday's big Red John episode got preempted for some reason (football running long on the east coast?) and they showed a rerun instead, even though The Good Wife was a new episode.

Canada got to see it though, so it's out there to find.
That sucks . What was the name of the episode?

Found one called the Red Tattoo on CBS's site.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_mentali...he-red-tattoo/

Not sure if it's the one you were looking forward to though.
Old November 7 2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

The episode that was supposed to air this Sunday but didn't is called Fire and Brimstone.
Old November 9 2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Ah. I see. Just found out that they're airing it this upcoming week. Hopefully it'll air this time and not a rerun.
Old November 11 2013, 02:28 PM   #10
stj
Rear Admiral

My take is that Stiles and Haffner are definitively out of the running. The blind woman rules out the baldies, which just leaves Reed FBI and Evil Twin. The three dots are membership in Red John's little LE cult/conspiracy/gang. The shotgun blast was likely due to an attempt to take out Jane by one or more of the dotty ones (failed.) The later bomb blast was rigged to dispose of evidence. Jane won't pull a Kirkland and kill all the dotty ones, but if he lets them go, Red John can run. But how can he keep them prisoner?
Old November 18 2013, 04:59 PM   #11
stj
Rear Admiral

The encrypted list suggests that Bertram is the head of the Blake Association, which actually suggests he is not Red John. Reed Martin's confession, as Jane says, rules him out. Death supposedly rules out Brett Stiles, Ray Haffner and McAllister. Gale Bertram also seemed more concerned to put on his shirt than to finish Jane on scene, but that appears to be scripted luck. A little peeved about that.

I am also a little peeved that Jane gets Stiles and Haffner killed. They may have deserved a jail term, especially Stiles, but they didn't deserve to die. I toyed with thinking Stiles was trying to fake his death as a solution to his legal problems, but the bomb was apparently intended as the mode of escape. Red John could easily have planted false DNA records using the Blake Association, so McAllister isn't defnitively ruled out.

The rule of Chekhov's gun says the Evil Twin has to come on stage. But does he play a red herring or Red John?
Old November 18 2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Can't believe they're finally wrapping up this Red John business. I wasn't expecting that going into the season. A few weeks ago, it looked like things were coming to a head, so I looked online and sure enough, it is. Next week's episode is called "Red John" and then after that it's "My Blue Heaven", the first episode to not have a title with a red theme. I wonder where the show will go after this. All I know so far is that Rigsby and Van Pelt are leaving.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 06:59 PM   #13
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I'm guessing that taking down the Blake Association will be the new story arc. Hopefully they don't drag it out way too long like they've done with Red John.
Old November 18 2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Aragorn
Admiral

The whole Red John stuff just feels hollow because it's evident they didn't even plan on who it was ahead of time.

Speaking of which, what are the odds that Red John is actually one of the supposedly dead suspects?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 10:32 PM   #15
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I'd say that the odds are pretty good. I think it's possible that Bertram's a red herring and isn't Red John but one of his operatives.