Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 30 2013, 11:01 PM   #16
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: The Best PS3 Exclusive Games?

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The awesome thing I spent an average of $5 on most of these
Hanging back a generation is the greatest thing that you can do for your wallet.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 02:40 AM   #17
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

For Crysis 2, I wouldn't recommend the PS3 version at all. PC version is a lot better imo.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 03:37 AM   #18
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I've had my PS3 for over a year now and I still only hand a handful of games: 'Valkyria Chronicles', 'The Last of Us', 'X-Com' & 'The Tomb Raider Trilogy' plus 'Journey' & 'Beyond Good and Evil HD' on download.

At some point I should look into getting some of the better exclusives now this generation is more or less over. Red Dead Redemption looks really good and is on my wishlist. Not an exclusive I know, but also not a PC game, so it may as well be from where I sit.

The Uncharted games seem to be universally acclaimed, but I think this is one of those times when I find myself on the outside looking in. I played the demos for the first two and it just did nothing for me. Felt more like a Tomb Raider game with too much mindless gun play, QTEs and no real exploration & puzzle solving. Mind you, pure-bred shooters like CoD don't do anything for me either, so maybe I'm just an old fart that get bored by non-stop action?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 04:17 AM   #19
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

*Shrug* Guess it's a matter of opinion, as it doesn't seem like the demos really gave you a good indication of what the games were really like. There's more exploration in the 2nd game than the 3rd game, for example. In some ways, they use a lot of tricks to make the world feel expansive, and there's hardly any QTEs in any of the games, save for the 3rd one at the end. I've found that in general they have a better feel of exploration than the Tomb Raider games, save for maybe Tomb Raider: Underworld and the Mayan level where they've really opened things up. For the most part, I've found the TR games to be rather confined.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 04:25 AM   #20
Mr Light
Admiral

My second hand understanding is that the Uncharted games have a really good story and are just solid all around...?

I finally unpacked my PS3. NO WIRELESS CONTROLLER :sobs:

I played the first three levels of Resistance 1. I figure I should start with the oldest game or I'll never play it. It's very much a launch game with barely next gen graphics, but it's alright. I'm hoping its a very short game so I can burn through it fast.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 04:32 AM   #21
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
The Uncharted games seem to be universally acclaimed, but I think this is one of those times when I find myself on the outside looking in. I played the demos for the first two and it just did nothing for me. Felt more like a Tomb Raider game with too much mindless gun play, QTEs and no real exploration & puzzle solving. Mind you, pure-bred shooters like CoD don't do anything for me either, so maybe I'm just an old fart that get bored by non-stop action?
Yeah, I don't get appeal either. When I play Uncharted all I see is generic gameplay wrapped up in scripted set pieces and pretty graphics. I feel like I'm watching a movie rather than playing a game.

Although, to be fair, I've only played the first game. Perhaps the series gets better with time.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 06:37 PM   #22
Mr Light
Admiral

I switched to Infamous this morning and had no problem playing it for multiple hours! It's not as much fun as Crackdown but it's still quite fun, and I'm sure once I get more leveled up it will be even better!

Old December 1 2013, 06:50 PM   #23
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Although, to be fair, I've only played the first game. Perhaps the series gets better with time.
The first game isn't the most amazing game ever, but I had a lot of fun with it. Uncharted 2 is where the series really takes off.

I'd say Uncharted is basically Tomb Raider meets Indiana Jones.
Old December 1 2013, 07:35 PM   #24
Reverend
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
The first game isn't the most amazing game ever, but I had a lot of fun with it. Uncharted 2 is where the series really takes off.

I'd say Uncharted is basically Tomb Raider meets Indiana Jones.
^Well when you put it like that it just sounds redundant!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 09:11 PM   #25
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

Ni No Kuni. I've heard good things. Even Jim Steele recommends it...

Old December 1 2013, 09:52 PM   #26
Aragorn
Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Yep, absolutely love the Uncharted games. Uncharted 2 even felt like a better Indiana Jones than Indy 4. I felt 3 was rather weak though, especially towards the end.
UC3 was gorgeous to look at, but the story and gameplay were kind of meh. It was fun enough, I guess, but it wasn't a worthy successor to UC2.

Yep, I agree. It was a fun and gorgeous game, but the story wasn't nearly as good. Uncharted 2 also felt like a much longer game by comparison, whereas Uncharted 3 felt like it ended rather abruptly. Not nearly as satisfying either. And that ending?? Pft. When one goes on a long journey, I expect more than a simple QTE to end it. One does not just QTE into Mordor!

In all seriousness, I know there were lots of people that hated the boss fight in 2, but I felt it was satisfying.
There are rumors that Sony rushed Naughty Dog to get the game out (like how EA supposedly rushed Bioware and Mass Effect 3).

Based on all the random stuff that gets brought up and then forgotten during U3, it feels more like a first draft than a final draft. They needed to trim a lot of fat off the story and polish other parts. It's still a game that's leaps and bounds above others, just the weakest Uncharted game. It's like how Star Trek movies get compared mostly to each other.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 12:16 AM   #27
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Have you tried Mass Effect Trilogy yet? If you haven't played it on PC or Xbox, I'd definitely reccommend it.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 01:54 AM   #28
RoJoHen
Awesome

Aragorn wrote: View Post

Based on all the random stuff that gets brought up and then forgotten during U3, it feels more like a first draft than a final draft.
Exactly my problem with it. I enjoyed the gameplay, but the story felt like it was written by 4 different people who never actually bothered to talk to each other.
Old December 2 2013, 03:23 AM   #29
Mr Light
Admiral

I played the Mass Effect games as they came out on XBox, yeah.

Infamous is a weird game. I'm basically playing it by spamming lightning bolts which cost no energy but it's damn hard to aim well to hit the bad guys. Still a lot of fun though!

Old December 2 2013, 03:59 AM   #30
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Tales of Xillia
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
Valkyria Chronicles
Ratchet and Clank Collection
Jak and Daxter Collection
Prince of Persia Trilogy
God of War Collection