TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 30 2014, 08:49 AM   #736
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
$60-$70 ??

All the seasons up to season 5 have dropped to the mid $40s.
Season 6 in the UK is the equivalent of $100. Season 5 is the equivalent of $70.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eration+bluray

People in the US may not find the prices extortionate, but in the UK, for initial release, Amazon just put a £ sign in front of the Dollar amount.
It does feel that way at time, but these companies know how to fleece their customers.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 09:40 AM   #737
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
It does feel that way at time, but these companies know how to fleece their customers.
Well they won't be doing as well out of individual Trek fans when physical media disappears. I've got to admit when TNG-HD shows up on Netflix I mostly won't get the Blu Rays out to watch an odd episode.
Old July 30 2014, 10:16 AM   #738
MacLeod
Admiral

Physical Media still has at least a decade or two. Streaming is all well and good if you have a fast enough Internet connection. There are still many areas around the world that don't. It doesn't make buisness sense to limit your customer base.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 01:44 PM   #739
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Physical Media still has at least a decade or two.
One decade at most I'd say. It makes little environmental or business sense to keep pressing factories open for the tiny minority of customers in the developed world who won't have a streamable connection by 2024.

The CD is very close to disappearing altogether, DVD sales are plummeting and Blu Ray has started to decline, Blu Ray 3D was basically a failure, and 4K Blu Ray will if it ever arrives be resolutely a niche product.

I'm uncomfortable with the idea, but in a world facing the challenges we do right now, its increasingly hard to justify shipping thousands of tonnes of plastic where thousands of GB of data will do.

At the minute in the UK we are looking at a badly-run government program to fund rural broadband that has turned into a slush fund for BT. That said, even in the UK we will sort it out in 10 years....... probably!
Old August 1 2014, 10:33 AM   #740
Balok's Head
Lieutenant

Phew, just got done reading all 50 pages of this..

There's some good discussion/theories being passed around but like a previous poster mentioned, this is sounding exactly like the kind of down-beat speculation on TNG-R before that project was announced. I personally believe that we will get our beloved DS9 on BluRay, at least eventually and to a TNG-R standard. Don't worry.

As we all know the current format for the rest of the franchise is outdated and crappy looking (read: no longer sell-able)
DS9-R WILL happen mark my words, whether or not it's to the same standard as TNG is however debatable. This is due to the already mentioned monetary and creative reasons, but I have a hunch that CBS will go the extra mile with it (even if they lose money in the short run..) Anything below TNG-Rs standard will only show a lackluster faith for one of its larger cash cows (read: not a good look)

With all these new formats buzzing in and out of existence every few years, one thing is certain - DS9/VOY are UN-SELLABLE and OUTDATED as a profitable product now. They will either take the risk at making some more bucks over the coming decades or bury both shows THIS decade. One or the other people.
I think it's obvious what they will decide.

Don't worry! And for gods sake, walk with the profits..
Balok's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 03:09 PM   #741
dub
Fleet Captain

This was probably already discussed and I'm just having a brain fart, but do the studios have access to streaming view counts (or whatever they call their "ratings?")
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 03:35 PM   #742
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Balok's Head wrote: View Post
There's some good discussion/theories being passed around but like a previous poster mentioned, this is sounding exactly like the kind of down-beat speculation on TNG-R before that project was announced. I personally believe that we will get our beloved DS9 on BluRay, at least eventually and to a TNG-R standard.
Problem being that TNG sales haven't been that great after the initial buzz wore off and DS9 is expected to sell only a fraction of what TNG has.

With all these new formats buzzing in and out of existence every few years, one thing is certain - DS9/VOY are UN-SELLABLE and OUTDATED as a profitable product now.
Thing about it, any money CBS makes off of DS9/VOY is all profit. Since the shows are streaming on various sites, they are generating revenue for CBS with zero investment.
Old August 1 2014, 05:58 PM   #743
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

With all these new formats buzzing in and out of existence every few years, one thing is certain - DS9/VOY are UN-SELLABLE and OUTDATED as a profitable product now. They will either take the risk at making some more bucks over the coming decades or bury both shows THIS decade. One or the other people.
I think it's obvious what they will decide.
I don't think CBS is remastering TNG to get a couple more bucks from DVD sales...it's to continue syndication deals. That's where the real money is anyway.

There just isn't any demand to air DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise these days. CBS spending a ton of time and money on remastering won't change that.
Old August 1 2014, 06:15 PM   #744
davejames
Vice Admiral

With the TNG blurays winding down, I have to think they would have announced something by now if DS9 was really in the works.

It's just not looking good, I'm afraid.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 08:13 PM   #745
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

It's covered earlier in the thread - an inside source has been quoted in a manner that convinced some knowledgeable posters here as saying "no plans" - this means "not happening" in that context.

The maths are pretty simple really, if TNG only just made money on BD then they know the far less popular DS9 will lose buckets of it.

I'd actually say you are more likely to see Voyager remastered, but we will only get either if Netflix and co are willing to pay more for them than the SD versions.
Old August 2 2014, 01:51 AM   #746
Balok's Head
Lieutenant

My point was that they have to do 'something' with it as it's worth nothing more in it's current condition.

I just think it's unwise to begin digging graves for DS9 and VOY just yet..
If it were as cut and dry as some here suggest CBS would have already unveiled their respective headstones by now. I don't think the revenue from TNG season 7 will be a game changer and CBS likely knows this, so it's not like they're waiting to see how this last release goes before making a decision. It will happen.
Old August 2 2014, 02:33 AM   #747
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

My point was that they have to do 'something' with it as it's worth nothing more in it's current condition.
No. They don't. They know no network is going to pick up DS9 or Voyager just because they spent a shit-ton of time and money to remaster it.
Old August 2 2014, 03:55 AM   #748
benjaminh
Lieutenant

FrontierTrek, who seems to be the best source on this, has been very quiet lately.

I'm completely pathetic, but I'm wondering if that means possible good news?

Yeah, I know. Wake up.
benjaminh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 05:07 AM   #749
Balok's Head
Lieutenant

Squiggy wrote: View Post
No. They don't. They know no network is going to pick up DS9 or Voyager just because they spent a shit-ton of time and money to remaster it.
Well since no one actually knows, it's all speculation.
I remember people saying the same thing about TNG before and look who that turned out.
Old August 2 2014, 03:26 PM   #750
trekker670
Fleet Captain

TrekCore put up an article from the Vegas Con, when asked about DS9, their response was

we are not allowed to talk about potential or future projects
and mentioned CBS Execs being in the audience.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote