Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 22 2014, 06:37 PM   #721
dub
Fleet Captain

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm not going to buy what I consider poor material (TNG seasons six and seven) just to justify DS9.
I would if indeed purchasing TNG BD helps, but what we've heard from credible sources alone has been conflicting on whether or not purchasing TNG will help at all.

I liked the facebook page though (as mentioned previously). That was easy regardless of whether or not it helps.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 06:50 PM   #722
Admiral Bear
Captain

I don't necessarily think DS9 Blu-rays will never happen, but I'm skeptical, mainly because of the cost and time involved, along with what can only be lower demand for the sets compared to TNG.

One thing's for sure though. If DS9 is remastered, and CBS want to shift the sets, the extortionate prices currently being charged for the TNG Blu-rays, if applied to DS9, simply won't cut it.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 07:31 PM   #723
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

dub wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm not going to buy what I consider poor material (TNG seasons six and seven) just to justify DS9.
I would if indeed purchasing TNG BD helps, but what we've heard from credible sources alone has been conflicting on whether or not purchasing TNG will help at all.
I feel extremely uncomfortable when I'm given "advice" like that from those credible sources. The buy product X if you want product Y (with no guarantees) schtick doesn't sit well with me.

Before anybody chimes in, yes, I understand how the economics work etc. CBS aren't obliged to give us anymore HD Trek and risk monetary loss etc. I just don't like this kind of "ultimatum".
Old July 22 2014, 07:38 PM   #724
MacLeod
Admiral

The Star Trek shows have probably paid for themselves many times over. Not that that matters to the bean counters
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 10:27 PM   #725
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
One thing's for sure though. If DS9 is remastered, and CBS want to shift the sets, the extortionate prices currently being charged for the TNG Blu-rays, if applied to DS9, simply won't cut it.
I would hardly call $60-$70 "extortionate" given the amount of content we're getting (26 x 1 hour episodes and several hours of bonus features) and the amount of work being done to get the product out...
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 11:21 PM   #726
Skywalker
Admiral

Yeah, I don't really consider $60-70 to be very extortionate for 26 remastered episodes plus a ton of bonus content. Extortionate would be $60-70 for 10 episodes plus bonus content. (I'm looking at you, HBO.)

Or to put it another way, movies generally cost, say, $20, and that's only for approximately two hours of content plus whatever bonus features, if any.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 01:40 AM   #727
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I feel extremely uncomfortable when I'm given "advice" like that from those credible sources. The buy product X if you want product Y (with no guarantees) schtick doesn't sit well with me.

Before anybody chimes in, yes, I understand how the economics work etc. CBS aren't obliged to give us anymore HD Trek and risk monetary loss etc. I just don't like this kind of "ultimatum".
+1
Old July 23 2014, 04:54 PM   #728
Grant
Fleet Captain

$60-$70 ??

All the seasons up to season 5 have dropped to the mid $40s.

Not bad at all. Wish they would do so again and I'd buy them fast.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 06:18 PM   #729
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Grant wrote: View Post
$60-$70 ??

Good point. I was talking about on release day, but as you said, wait a few months and they drop down even cheaper.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 07:49 PM   #730
Grant
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
$60-$70 ??

Good point. I was talking about on release day, but as you said, wait a few months and they drop down even cheaper.
If they go back into the $40s this black Friday---I will go for them.
Old July 23 2014, 07:53 PM   #731
Admiral Bear
Captain

$60-$70 ??

Season 6 in the UK is the equivalent of $100. Season 5 is the equivalent of $70.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eration+bluray

People in the US may not find the prices extortionate, but in the UK, for initial release, Amazon just put a £ sign in front of the Dollar amount.

Last edited by Admiral Bear; July 23 2014 at 08:12 PM.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 05:39 PM   #732
Grant
Fleet Captain

$60-$70 ??

Season 6 in the UK is the equivalent of $100. Season 5 is the equivalent of $70.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eration+bluray

People in the US may not find the prices extortionate, but in the UK, for initial release, Amazon just put a £ sign in front of the Dollar amount.

Yes, they are sometimes expensive, but they sometimes go on sale for really good prices.

$45 is not high at all for a TNG season and Amazon has sold them (S1-5) for about that price.

So yeah, sometimes they are really high and other times they are very reasonable.

I will buy next time they are reasonable.
Old July 28 2014, 08:41 PM   #733
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Bizarrely this seems to be standard retail practice in the UK - it was a bit of a scandal for software a few years ago.

It all seems a bit weird as physical media is surprisingly rapidly becoming anachronistic, if not obsolete. I can't help but think that we will never see DS9 blus just because the format probably only has a few years left in the mainstream.
Old July 29 2014, 11:03 PM   #734
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I would hardly call $60-$70 "extortionate" given the amount of content we're getting (26 x 1 hour episodes and several hours of bonus features) and the amount of work being done to get the product out...
$60 for a season is a damn steal. When TFF came out on videocassette it was $100.
Old July 30 2014, 12:05 AM   #735
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Amazon just put a £ sign in front of the Dollar amount.
I visited Scotland last year, and found that to be true for just about everything there. I was spending pounds as quickly as dollars.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote