Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 1 2014, 11:42 AM   #646
Reeborg
Commander

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

So NINERS, everbody should buy 4 or 5 copies of TNG-SEASON-SIX in order to show your devotion to DS9-BDs.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 11:44 AM   #647
GNDN
Commodore

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
Well the TNG S6 Blus look fantastic, and it was awesome to see how well the DS9 station and sets hold up in HD.

Add my voice to the choir wanting DS9 get the same treatment for Blu-ray.

So now we have TOS, TNG and ENT, as well as the movies on Blu-ray.

This is already a groundbreaking restoration, and Star Trek deserves and warrants this.
YES YES YES YES YES!!! DS9 looks amazing on blu inside and out!

Not a huge Voyager fan, but hey, VOY has a scene set on DS9 as well, so the completist in me has at least two reasons to consider buying it right along with DS9.

It would be a terrible shame to have this unofficial, franchise-wide restoration stop short.

A gap in releases similar to that between TOS "Remastered" and TNG HD would be acceptable and understandable, but I'd really like to see both remaining series on the same blu-ray format that's been so successful from a viewer/collector's perspective.

Here's hoping the green light comes in time
Old July 1 2014, 02:37 PM   #648
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
USS KG5 wrote: View Post
No plans as in a definitive "no plans" from someone on the inside, or just literally no-one has said anything?
The former.
Oh - that is a shame.

The boat really is sailing for Blu Ray as a format, particularly where I am in the UK where new catalogue releases are now quite rare, unless they keep the pace up we are unlikely to ever see hi def DS9 or VGR, at least not on disc.
Old July 1 2014, 07:37 PM   #649
benjaminh
Lieutenant

jimbotron wrote: View Post
DS9 is probably the show that would benefit the most from HD. Much of the show looks murky and undefined in SD. I bet it would really pop and come alive in HD, much more than TNG.
To give DS9 a different look from TNG, the cinematographer intentionally shot it in lower light and with diffusion filters. I really hope it comes to HD, and I think it would really benefit. But I think some of what you are perceiving in SD is the artistic intent of the people who made the show.
benjaminh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 10:37 PM   #650
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

"No plans" is a very ominous phrase in this context, if it has been used then a decision to probably never do DS9 has already been made.
Old July 1 2014, 10:39 PM   #651
benjaminh
Lieutenant

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
"No plans" is a very ominous phrase in this context, if it has been used then a decision to probably never do DS9 has already been made.
That's my guess as well. Bummer.
benjaminh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 11:00 PM   #652
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Didn't they say the same thing about TNG though? And this "no plans" isn't coming from an official CBS press release or anything, so it's not quite as ominous.

I think the fact of the matter is, we really don't know. They haven't decided. It may be a few years before they do it. They may never do it. But they haven't made an official statement saying they won't, so we really only know it's not happening in the foreseeable future.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 11:33 PM   #653
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I think the fact of the matter is, we really don't know.
Quite correct.

But it's human nature to speculate. My speculation based on the facts we do have (sadly) has to be DS9-R on BD is years away - or never.

I hope not though - I really want Voyager as well, much more so than DS9 to be honest.
Old July 2 2014, 12:45 AM   #654
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post

I hope not though - I really want Voyager as well, much more so than DS9 to be honest.
Same here.
Old July 2 2014, 01:12 AM   #655
NewHorizon
Captain

I really hope that Deep Space 9 is greenlit soon. I've been faithfully buying every season (except for Season 2) for the very purpose of supporting a DS9 restoration as well.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2014, 01:13 AM   #656
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I want DS9 and Voyager pretty much equally, but I would expect DS9 would be done first just because it's older.
I really want these in blu ray! It'll be a shame if we never get it, leaving those two great shows unavailable on blu ray. I know hard copy media is probably going to go away, but I'll hang onto my blu rays and dvds to the death.
Old July 2 2014, 01:28 AM   #657
mythme
Commodore

My DS9 DVD cases are literally falling apart. Its only one more reason why I really want those Blus
Old July 2 2014, 07:58 AM   #658
MakeshiftPython
Captain

benjaminh wrote: View Post
jimbotron wrote: View Post
DS9 is probably the show that would benefit the most from HD. Much of the show looks murky and undefined in SD. I bet it would really pop and come alive in HD, much more than TNG.
To give DS9 a different look from TNG, the cinematographer intentionally shot it in lower light and with diffusion filters. I really hope it comes to HD, and I think it would really benefit. But I think some of what you are perceiving in SD is the artistic intent of the people who made the show.
Yeah. It'll look great, but it's definitely not going to "pop" like TNG did with its well lit sets and I imagine there will be a lot of complaints on the picture quality being "too soft". HD has unfortunately had the side effect of making a lot of folks think HD = "extra sharp and clear". I think the low light and diffusion really gave DS9 its own distinct identity from TNG, but many will likely not appreciate the artistic intent of the look of the show, aside from the production design. I look forward to seeing how it comes off in HD quality.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2014, 08:48 AM   #659
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I guess "pop" isn't really the right word. TNG is bright and colorful, while DS9 is more muted and dark. But HD scans and adjusted color timing and brightness will do those sets a lot of good.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2014, 12:23 PM   #660
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
...but I'll hang onto my blu rays and dvds to the death.
Yeah I often feel the same way, but I have to admit having a loft full of CDs feels a bit anachronistic now, and Netflix/streaming is soooo convenient.