Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 25 2014, 11:17 PM   #616
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: DS9 on blu ray?

benjaminh wrote: View Post
Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
It's funny. This whole thread sounds like the doom and gloom about TNG never getting the HD treatment after they finished TOS. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but I remain fairly optimistic it'll get done eventually.
But the differences with TNG are significant. First, the market for DS9 is somewhat smaller. Niners like myself are avid fans, but there just aren't as many of us as there are for TNG. Second, the cgi factor, as FrontierTrek said, makes it more expensive to rebuild DS9.

And so the smaller market and the higher costs make this more of an uphill climb. Add to that people "who are waiting for the complete set to go on sale," and you see the strong possibility that it may, in fact, never go on sale.
A smaller more niche market isn't always a bad thing, if that market is willing to buy.

So sure the market can be 1 million and you can sell 50 000 units, but that doesn't mean a market of only 100 000 won't buy the same 50 000 units.

If you don't want people to wait for the complete set then you have to do something to make the individual releases special i.e. Steelbook packaging.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 11:50 PM   #617
Admiral Bear
Captain

Did any country other than Germany get the TNG season steelbooks? I know the UK didn't, and I've not seen them on sale in the US.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 10:14 PM   #618
GNDN
Commodore

Watching Chain of Command on blu-ray now.

Makes me remember watching it first-run, with all the rumors and promise of DS9 to come. That was a very exciting time to be a Trek fan. And frankly, all that anticipation for the second spin-off series payed off big time for me.

I'm still excited, and I'll hold out cautious hope that history will somewhat repeat itself at some point, and that DS9 will eventually be released on blu-ray as well.

Count me as one who definitely prefers owning the discs themselves, taking advantage of the best available picture and sound quality. I've refrained from watching later TNG eps until the blus arrive, and for the time being I will hold out from watching DS9.

I think I'll take the time to not only email CBS, but also write an honest-to-goodness letter, thanking them and the CBS Digital team for the exceptional job they've done with TNG and ask them respectfully to continue the remastering effort with DS9.

I'll remain optimistic, and I'll revel in the station scenes from Birthright when I get there.

TNG looks awesome in proper HD and I can only imagine how amazing DS9 would look as well.
Old June 27 2014, 05:10 AM   #619
scotthm
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
If you don't want people to wait for the complete set then you have to do something to make the individual releases special i.e. Steelbook packaging.
No you don't. You just have to offer what people want for a price they're comfortable paying.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 01:11 PM   #620
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Here is an alternative to Steelbook packaging:

(The PAL 50Hz DVD releases of DS9 and VOY featured similar boxes)

I never understood why these beautiful field equipment boxes remained limited to PAL territories.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 02:16 PM   #621
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I never understood why these beautiful field equipment boxes remained limited to PAL territories.
Shelf space is a precious commodity in my house. I personally don't appreciate over-sized boxes for my video discs.

---------------
Old June 27 2014, 03:23 PM   #622
GNDN
Commodore

My future blu-rays will continue to fit and look great in these:

Old June 28 2014, 10:38 AM   #623
Reeborg
Commander

Considering that Enterprise BDs have been "downgraded" for seasons 3&4 language-wise because of insufficient sales figures (in certain countries?), it feels like the whole remastering process is calculated on the financial edge (of not being profitable enough). That may be a negative indicator for possible DS9-BDs.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 01:14 PM   #624
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Reeborg wrote: View Post
Considering that Enterprise BDs have been "downgraded" for seasons 3&4 language-wise because of insufficient sales figures (in certain countries?), it feels like the whole remastering process is calculated on the financial edge (of not being profitable enough).
Did Enterprise air in those languages? If the language tracks exist, excluding them doesn't make sense. But if CBS would need to pay to have them translated and recorded from scratch, I can see why they wouldn't bother.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 08:43 PM   #625
Reeborg
Commander

ATimson wrote: View Post
Reeborg wrote: View Post
Considering that Enterprise BDs have been "downgraded" for seasons 3&4 language-wise because of insufficient sales figures (in certain countries?), it feels like the whole remastering process is calculated on the financial edge (of not being profitable enough).
Did Enterprise air in those languages? If the language tracks exist, excluding them doesn't make sense. But if CBS would need to pay to have them translated and recorded from scratch, I can see why they wouldn't bother.
Enterprise is available for all 4 seasons with Italian dubbing on DVD, with Spanish dubbing at least seasons 1-3 (I did not find season 4) on DVD. The thing is that putting the dubbing tracks cost some sort of royalties to the dubbing company (which was initially not necessarily done/paid by Paramount). Apparently for reducing BD production cost the Spanish/Italian tracks were removed. There was a specific official affirmation that the Italian season 3&4 BDs would not be done because of low local sales.

BTW, I find it strange that Italian sales figures should be so insignificant since many (international) fans bought from Amazon.it thanks to the lower price. I purchased Next Generation 1-5 as well as Enterprise 1&2 from there. Disappointing sales figures for Italy could therefore reflect low sales in general.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2014, 10:31 PM   #626
scotthm
Rear Admiral

GNDN wrote: View Post
My future blu-rays will continue to fit and look great in these:

Yes, I used to have my Star Trek DVDs stored that way (using those same covers) but the Blu-ray packaging takes up much less shelf space and it's wonderful.

---------------
Old June 28 2014, 11:24 PM   #627
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I loved that Ships of the Line collection available here.

Edited to add: They're the work of Ric Easton. Took me a while to remember. So credit where it's due.

I wish they'd update them for Enterprise, Original & Next Generation Blu ray disc line-ups on the back, to reflect where the episodes are. I'm lousy at custom art myself. Although I guess I could crudely create a box of text and reprint them. Maybe they're just waiting for TNG Season 7 to come out? But the original artist seems to prefer creating a new set when it comes to Blu ray, having done so for the Original Series and their films.

I also remember once asking over on their forum, about possibly including the Abramsverse films... maybe in a volume after Voyager? Nimoy Spock & Nero hail from after that show in the 24th Century and caused all that nuTrek stuff to basically happen. Or maybe bunched up between the Animated Series and Motion Pictures?

Neither suggestion went down too well...

Last edited by ChristopherPike; June 29 2014 at 01:08 AM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2014, 11:19 PM   #628
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Any more news yet?

They must be well into working on TNG S7 now, so they will either have to start DS9 soon for an early 2015 release, or say they aren't doing it...?
Old June 29 2014, 11:33 PM   #629
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
Any more news yet?

They must be well into working on TNG S7 now, so they will either have to start DS9 soon for an early 2015 release, or say they aren't doing it...?
There are no plans to remaster Deep Space Nine at present.

TNG is in the process of wrapping right now. Another week or so left to finalize stuff with "All Good Things"
Old June 29 2014, 11:44 PM   #630
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
TNG is in the process of wrapping right now. Another week or so left to finalize stuff with "All Good Things"
So are we looking at a December release, or will they be able to release it sooner?
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote