RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 144,637
Posts: 5,684,169
Members: 25,651
Currently online: 425
Newest member: maryrichxs

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time and Again
By: Michelle on Apr 25

USS Enterprise Model To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Vulcan Nimoy Tribute
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Pegg Writing Kickass Role For Elba
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Galaxy Quest To Become A Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Mulgrew On Voyager Twentieth Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 14 2014, 08:41 PM   #541
The Transformed Man
Commander
 
The Transformed Man's Avatar
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Even if blu-rays, aren't in DS9's future, I do hope they do remaster them for streaming/syndication. It'll be a shame not to get all those wonderful special features that the blu-ray releases offered, but I can live without them.
Actually studios are finally beginning to examine that and are offering "special features" as part of their streaming packages, so I suspect that will be part of the strategy.

What's really interesting is waaaaaaaayyyy back in 2007 during the Format Wars Microsoft and Toshiba were working on new streaming technology which would essentially stream the complete image of an HD-DVD including menus and bonus features... it would have essentially been a disc on demand.

I think we will finally get there in the years ahead.
__________________
I have no... precious time at all to spend... nor service to do, till you...
The Transformed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 10:42 PM   #542
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

Very interesting.

Still, it's too bad disc based content sales are falling. Streaming has yet to match in video quality.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 10:50 PM   #543
The Transformed Man
Commander
 
The Transformed Man's Avatar
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Very interesting.

Still, it's too bad disc based content sales are falling. Streaming has yet to match in video quality.
The reality is most people don't notice the difference. And to be fair I have seen some outstanding encodes of streaming films that look quite good. But the reality is the home video market has been bleeding for years, and studios have desperately tried to find the "next big thing" to woo back consumers... first it was 3-D, now we've moved on to 4K.

Physical media will still be available as there is a niche market of collectors and film/TV connoisseurs who want there shows/film in some kind of physical form. I suspect future runs of shows like DS9 would have a small pressings in some sort of "limited" edition. But by and large streaming and download will be CBS' format of choice.

Yancy
__________________
I have no... precious time at all to spend... nor service to do, till you...
The Transformed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:04 PM   #544
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
I suggest you guys read this:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...aining_on_you_

Blu-ray is on its way out the door, and many studios are re-evaluating their long term support for the format.

There's far more money to be made by offering shows as downloads via Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, iTunes, etc. The money those services would offer would simply dwarf whatever monies CBS hoped to make with disc releases. Add to that potential dollars from syndication packages in HD, and there's no way CBS walks away from that.

I suspect whatever delay there is in any announcement for a DS9 release is probably more related to lining up a downloadable/streaming strategy than whether or not Season 6 & 7 of TNG sell well on blu ray. Based on those first week sales figures for TNG and sales trends for BD TV series sets, most of the TNG sets (with the exception of Season 1) likely topped out around 25,000 to 30,00 in total sales.


Yancy

And for those of that can barely stream SD never mind HD, what are we supposed to do. Whilst physical media might not be selling as well as it used to, it still sells and it's not a good buinsness decision to exclude potential customers, until such time as a particular prodct is no longer profitable. It should be an either or thing. You use as many profitable revenue streams as possible. Sure 25% of revenue might come physical media instead of 30% but that still 25%.

For example in the UK blu-ray sales grew by 10% in 2013 vs 2012.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:20 PM   #545
The Transformed Man
Commander
 
The Transformed Man's Avatar
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

I'm not suggesting whether it's right or wrong; I'm just telling you that's where the business model is heading. It's far more profitable for CBS to cut down production costs and forgo physical media. Additionally it eliminates middle man by removing distributors from the equation and allows studios to deal directly with companies like Netflix or Amazon.
__________________
I have no... precious time at all to spend... nor service to do, till you...
The Transformed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:23 PM   #546
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Very interesting.

Still, it's too bad disc based content sales are falling. Streaming has yet to match in video quality.
The reality is most people don't notice the difference. And to be fair I have seen some outstanding encodes of streaming films that look quite good. But the reality is the home video market has been bleeding for years, and studios have desperately tried to find the "next big thing" to woo back consumers... first it was 3-D, now we've moved on to 4K.

Physical media will still be available as there is a niche market of collectors and film/TV connoisseurs who want there shows/film in some kind of physical form. I suspect future runs of shows like DS9 would have a small pressings in some sort of "limited" edition. But by and large streaming and download will be CBS' format of choice.

Yancy
Well, I for one, notice the difference. Beyond the inferior picture quality - I think I'm correct in saying none of the streaming/download services offer DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital True HD etc.

For those of us with quality home cinema systems, the highest quality presentation in both sound and picture is of premium importance.

The thought of having to accept whatever "compromise" quality/file size ratio Apple et al deem adequate sends shivers down my spine!
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:30 PM   #547
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral
 
Rarewolf's Avatar
 
Location: Devon, England
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
[it's not a good buinsness decision to exclude potential customers, until such time as a particular prodct is no longer profitable.
Yes, can't imagine I'd ever pay to stream something I already own a copy of, even if that copy is just SD.
__________________
"Weaselling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals - except the weasels" Homer Jay Simpson
Rarewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:45 PM   #548
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
I'm not suggesting whether it's right or wrong; I'm just telling you that's where the business model is heading. It's far more profitable for CBS to cut down production costs and forgo physical media. Additionally it eliminates middle man by removing distributors from the equation and allows studios to deal directly with companies like Netflix or Amazon.
What middleman is being eliminated? How is CBS selling their discs to Amazon/Target/Walmart, and from there to the consumer, a longer chain than CBS selling their video file to Amazon/Netflix, and from there to the consumer?
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 12:56 AM   #549
The Transformed Man
Commander
 
The Transformed Man's Avatar
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

ATimson wrote: View Post
The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
I'm not suggesting whether it's right or wrong; I'm just telling you that's where the business model is heading. It's far more profitable for CBS to cut down production costs and forgo physical media. Additionally it eliminates middle man by removing distributors from the equation and allows studios to deal directly with companies like Netflix or Amazon.
What middleman is being eliminated? How is CBS selling their discs to Amazon/Target/Walmart, and from there to the consumer, a longer chain than CBS selling their video file to Amazon/Netflix, and from there to the consumer?
Because with smaller vendors you don't have to go through a local/regional distributor; they are cut out of the process. Even delivering physical media to a larger chain store that handles their own distribution is streamlined. The process is simply more efficient and less costly to studios.

Physical media sales have dropped 96% since 2004 while streaming/download sales have increased 256% just since a year ago. Again physical media will still be around for legacy users and collectors, but the industry is changing, as is the delivery method of media.

Yancy
__________________
I have no... precious time at all to spend... nor service to do, till you...
The Transformed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 02:36 AM   #550
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

As much as I love Netflix, I don't ever envision it or streaming in general ever having as much quality as physical media. Plus, the ability for content providers to pull material at any time is a huge red flag for me.

I'll just keep the DS9 and Voyager DVD's I have.
__________________
Self-appointed Knight of the Abrams Table! - Thanks Marsden!
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 04:47 AM   #551
Salinga
Fleet Captain
 
Salinga's Avatar
 
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

Well, there is one advantage of streaming-only-media: You know who watches and when. Physical media makes it anonymous, streaming puts a spotlight on who is consuming, an information which the producer of the content can collect and uses as he wants to.

NSA is only the beginning...
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 05:38 AM   #552
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

I may be old fashioned, but I want my media in a physical form. Even when I buy mp3s, I make a cd hardcopy. I don't trust that the digital copy will go away, and I have had some indie press ebooks I've bought become unavailable to redownload in the future when the company went out of business.
I won't be buying download only tv shows and movies. I'll keep my blu rays and DVDs. I will rebuy DS9 and Voyager if tptb release them on blu ray, but won't be buying them on digital only. If it comes down to it, I will always have the DVDs.
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 03:00 PM   #553
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
I'm not suggesting whether it's right or wrong; I'm just telling you that's where the business model is heading. It's far more profitable for CBS to cut down production costs and forgo physical media. Additionally it eliminates middle man by removing distributors from the equation and allows studios to deal directly with companies like Netflix or Amazon.
What middleman is being eliminated? How is CBS selling their discs to Amazon/Target/Walmart, and from there to the consumer, a longer chain than CBS selling their video file to Amazon/Netflix, and from there to the consumer?
Because with smaller vendors you don't have to go through a local/regional distributor; they are cut out of the process. Even delivering physical media to a larger chain store that handles their own distribution is streamlined. The process is simply more efficient and less costly to studios.

Physical media sales have dropped 96% since 2004 while streaming/download sales have increased 256% just since a year ago. Again physical media will still be around for legacy users and collectors, but the industry is changing, as is the delivery method of media.

Yancy
Source?

According to this Forbes article is 30% fall

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dadehaye...-anytime-soon/

But is there a difference between CD's for music and DVD/BR's for film/TV are we more willing to go a digital format for music but less keen for Film/TV?

Can't they co-exist? If there is a film/TV show I really like I want to be able to buy a copy of it, not rely on a OnDemand service. Other potnetial issues with OnDemand services, odo Proiver A signs an exclusive contract for a particualr program, you have Provider B, so do you switch or does Proiver B also have some exclusive content you want? Do you end up having both?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 03:07 PM   #554
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral
 
Rarewolf's Avatar
 
Location: Devon, England
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
I'm not suggesting whether it's right or wrong; I'm just telling you that's where the business model is heading. It's far more profitable for CBS to cut down production costs and forgo physical media. Additionally it eliminates middle man by removing distributors from the equation and allows studios to deal directly with companies like Netflix or Amazon.
That's a fraction of the restoration costs though.

Perhaps they could do away with retail versions, and sell Blu ray direct to the customer. Perhaps even limited editions like the soundtracks.

It of course would work out more pricey for those of us not in the US, but it would at least be an option.
__________________
"Weaselling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals - except the weasels" Homer Jay Simpson
Rarewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 04:39 PM   #555
The Transformed Man
Commander
 
The Transformed Man's Avatar
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
What middleman is being eliminated? How is CBS selling their discs to Amazon/Target/Walmart, and from there to the consumer, a longer chain than CBS selling their video file to Amazon/Netflix, and from there to the consumer?
Because with smaller vendors you don't have to go through a local/regional distributor; they are cut out of the process. Even delivering physical media to a larger chain store that handles their own distribution is streamlined. The process is simply more efficient and less costly to studios.

Physical media sales have dropped 96% since 2004 while streaming/download sales have increased 256% just since a year ago. Again physical media will still be around for legacy users and collectors, but the industry is changing, as is the delivery method of media.

Yancy
Source?

According to this Forbes article is 30% fall

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dadehaye...-anytime-soon/

But is there a difference between CD's for music and DVD/BR's for film/TV are we more willing to go a digital format for music but less keen for Film/TV?

Can't they co-exist? If there is a film/TV show I really like I want to be able to buy a copy of it, not rely on a OnDemand service. Other potnetial issues with OnDemand services, odo Proiver A signs an exclusive contract for a particualr program, you have Provider B, so do you switch or does Proiver B also have some exclusive content you want? Do you end up having both?
http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/blu-ra...ng-takes-hold/

And Sony cited and industry surge of streaming/digital downloads of 256% in their latest earnings report.

I'm not advocating digital only, but it is the direct the industry is heading. Physical media will continue to coexist with digital in the next few years ahead, but at some point in time the industry will cut physical media loose like they did when they made the decision to drop support for VHS and got strictly to DVD.
__________________
I have no... precious time at all to spend... nor service to do, till you...
The Transformed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.