Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 31 2014, 08:31 AM   #391
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
But the process of what they are doing is an assembly line and it looks like they're shutting down that assembly line.
CBS waited three years between TOS-R and TNG-R. Some of the same people worked on both projects. Let's not be too cynical about this. We're swinging from over-enthusiasm to a tweet to utter despair at any chance of seeing DS9 on blu-ray. These companies thrive on their libraries of content and their ability to re-sell them over and over. Give it time. Only reason based on what you know to be true.

Here's what we know to be true: currently there's no green light for DS9. That's it.
The status of the "assembly line" as Grant describes is obviously affected by DS9's lack of green light. Very shortly CBS Digital will wrap TNG. If they don't have a big project to take on afterwards then there are obviously consequences to that.
Old May 31 2014, 04:26 PM   #392
benjaminh
Lieutenant

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
The status of the "assembly line" as Grant describes is obviously affected by DS9's lack of green light. Very shortly CBS Digital will wrap TNG. If they don't have a big project to take on afterwards then there are obviously consequences to that.
Yes. They've built up a very impressive and large "dream team" that really knows at this point how to rebuild an episode of Trek, as well as a whole season. I fear that if they don't start with DS9 soon that parts of the dream team will move on to other jobs, or perhaps even get laid off....

Obviously a full rebuild of DS9 would be ideal from the fan point of view, but short of that, what do you think, FrontierTrek, about the idea of a creating a c. 78 episode selection of the best of DS9? Over at blu-ray.com, "Bolty" has come up with what seems to me to be a very impressive list. It almost turns DS9 into a epic miniseries by collecting almost all the various arc episodes, as well as almost all of the favorite stand-alone episodes.

Perhaps redoing three sets of 26-episodes each of DS9 might, for CBS, seem like a more doable project?

Any thoughts?
benjaminh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 04:32 PM   #393
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Pardon my language, but in my opinion it's a shit idea. It wouldn't help preserve the show in HD for TV broadcast, it would potentially sell even less than the full series (I don't want to be tortured for all time with a half-assed set, so I wouldn't buy it) and it would still take a bucket-load of money and resources to produce. What possible gain can come from that approach?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 04:52 PM   #394
benjaminh
Lieutenant

I agree that getting the full seven seasons rebuilt in HD for blu-ray and streaming would be better. But what if that's just not in the cards?

I think I read somewhere that rebuilding the first season of TNG ended up costing something like $9 million dollars. Don't have a link, and so don't ask. That was years ago. If, however, that figure is more or less right, we might also guess that they've had a learning curve and figured out how to do it better, faster, and for less money. Still, that might mean that rebuilding a whole season of Trek perhaps still costs c. $5 million? I realize I'm guessing, but in any case the figure is substantial. Whatever the number is, it really adds up when multiplied by 7 seasons.

Doing three seasons worth of episodes might save CBS almost c. 60% of the money needed compared to the whole show.

Again, I agree it would be better for them to do the whole show. But what if they can only see their way to budgeting enough for a portion of that? Wouldn't that be better than nothing of DS9 in HD?

Some people said the original Star Trek probably wouldn't work in syndication because they only had 79 episodes. But TOS, as we all know, ended up being the biggest success in syndication history. 70-some episodes in fact turned out to be quite a sweet spot.

The first two seasons of DS9, as almost every fan would admit, were the weakest. And yet there are essential and wonderful episodes in there in those first two seasons. Like with all Trek, and like with all television, there are duds with each season. The miracle of DS9 is that it arguably got stronger each season, and so the number of duds dropped each year.

I've heard from some Trek fans that they just couldn't quite get into DS9 as they struggled through the first two seasons, and so they gave up.

Anyway, I think as en epic 78-episode almost "miniseries" that DS9 might find new fans. And many old fans should be happy to have at least the best of the show in HD.

I'm tired, in any case, of watching the show in muddy SD....

And, yet again, I would rather see the whole show rebuilt for HD, if that's possible.

Last edited by benjaminh; May 31 2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old May 31 2014, 05:22 PM   #395
Grant
Fleet Captain

There are folks who think a partial set would exclude a future full 7 seasons and they are right.

So would you like to have a portion in the near future or gamble on all of it coming at some point?

Some people would clearly like to wait and get it all.

I don't think that will happen. I think we'll get nothing later.

So I'd love a best of set.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 06:07 PM   #396
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Give me all episodes in HD or nothing at all. There's no point in remastering a show if you're only going to hand pick certain episodes. It's a terrible idea.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 06:22 PM   #397
Skywalker
Admiral

Agreed. All or nothing. Even the bad episodes.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 08:27 PM   #398
Grant
Fleet Captain

People who say all or nothing rarely expect to get nothing.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 08:45 PM   #399
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Since we already have four of the six pilots in HD, I'd like to at least have "Emissary" and "Caretaker" get HD facelifts.
Old May 31 2014, 08:45 PM   #400
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I think I'll be more surprised if we get DS9/Voyager on Blu-ray at all at this point.

I understand no imminent announcement doesn't necessarily preclude a release down the road - "sometime". However, we have to consider the Blu-ray format has progressed well into its life-cycle. If I were to take a guess, I'd conjecture Blu-ray is already 60 years old in human terms.

The window of opportunity for this particular format is not everlasting. Diminishing returns as time ticks by etc.

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; May 31 2014 at 08:56 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 08:58 PM   #401
benjaminh
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post
Since we already have four of the six pilots in HD, I'd like to at least have "Emissary" and "Caretaker" get HD facelifts.
Agreed.

One thing that strikes me is that both Emissary and Caretaker were big budget Star Trek movies, with money and care spent on them that matches or even exceeds something like, say, The Search for Spock.

These almost "lost" Trek movies deserve to be seen in HD.

There's a apparently quite a bit of deleted footage for both of these that ended up not on the cutting room floor, but in that salt mine in PA. Dreaming even more, it would be interesting to see some of that.
Old May 31 2014, 09:20 PM   #402
Praetorian
Captain

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I think I'll be more surprised if we get DS9/Voyager on Blu-ray at all at this point.

I understand no imminent announcement doesn't necessarily preclude a release down the road - "sometime". However, we have to consider the Blu-ray format has progressed well into its life-cycle. If I were to take a guess, I'd conjecture Blu-ray is already 60 years old in human terms.

The window of opportunity for this particular format is not everlasting. Diminishing returns as time ticks by etc.
Blu-ray is secondary. Whether pressed on a disc, or available for streaming, what matters is the availability of the show in HD.

Also, only releasing a "best of" set is a bad idea, who's going to choose those "best" episodes? You risk alienating a lot of people and selling even less.
Old May 31 2014, 09:41 PM   #403
benjaminh
Lieutenant

Praetorian wrote: View Post
Blu-ray is secondary. Whether pressed on a disc, or available for streaming, what matters is the availability of the show in HD.

Also, only releasing a "best of" set is a bad idea, who's going to choose those "best" episodes? You risk alienating a lot of people and selling even less.
I don't think we have evidence that blu-ray is secondary. Because Trek fans are so avid, and are willing to pay cold hard cash for a top-quality product, I think the revues from blu-ray are quite significant at this point. In the long run, streaming might become more important, even much more important, but it's not clear that we are there yet.

Yes, we all want it in HD. That's not the question. It's how we get there. It seems that CBS is getting cold feet when looking at the massive cost of redoing all seven seasons of DS9.

Most fans want all of it in HD. But what if that's not possible?

As Grant says, some people who say all or nothing are not really expecting nothing. But what if, in fact, that's the most likely scenario at this point?

And I actually think most fans of DS9 would be pretty much in agreement when it came to the best 70 or so episodes.

Looking over the list by "Bolty" on blu-ray.com (who might be Grant here?) I agreed with everything on the list. I only thought of one more to add so far, but otherwise it seemed spot on.

Grant, if you are Bolty, would you be willing to post the list?
Old May 31 2014, 09:45 PM   #404
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Praetorian wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post

Yes, I understand that.

I didn't say there's no possibility of an HD version becoming available via an alternate format. The title of this thread is "DS9 on blu ray?" - thus, my response was reference DS9 on Blu-ray. I thought the wording of my post was quite explicit.

Personally, I want to own DS9 on disc in HD - presented at optimal quality. Streaming/downloading isn't an option I'd choose as they are currently offered.
Old May 31 2014, 09:45 PM   #405
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Grant wrote: View Post
So I'd love a best of set.
Better something than nothing, you made your point clear, and essentially I sympathize because it could also have the character of an apetizer for others, create additional DVD or digital streaming revenue.

BUT

the biggest obstacle, as fas as I understand, are the logistics behind it. For TNG-R they moved literal truckloads with film cans and it was a nightmare just to get it sorted out. The cans need to be cataloged, filed and sometimes double-checked to see if an element missing (remember the originally missing "Sins of the Father" footage?) had been stored somewhere else.

So just to get the footage for the 78 best episodes or something like that would probably require a complete and costly inventory check. By the time they'd be done, it would probably make more economical sense just to release all seasons of DS9-R on Blu-ray.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote