Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 5 2014, 06:09 PM   #256
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Anyway, this will be a decision CBS Home Entertainment has to make, I was merely trying to express that a tasteful reformatting into widescreen mustn't necessarily be the end of the world.
They already made that decision. They tested a widescreen version of TNG, decided it looked like shit, and abandoned the idea altogether.
Old April 5 2014, 08:26 PM   #257
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Yup. They didn't create that featurette on the TNG season 1 for fun. It cost money to produce after all. They did it knowing that a handful of fans would clamor for widescreen instead of OAR, and they wanted to put the issue to rest right away. For those of you still clamoring for it, it's falling on deaf ears, and has been for over two years. Nothing is going to change that.

Last edited by jimbotron; April 5 2014 at 08:42 PM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 11:31 PM   #258
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
They already made that decision. They tested a widescreen version of TNG, decided it looked like shit, and abandoned the idea altogether.
This is what the only eyewitness I'm aware of has reported on the TNG widescreen test version:

[sep 18] I cannot believe how good TNG looks in HD. Hoping they go with 16:9. This is one time the purist in me whole-heartedly supports the change.

[sep 19] CBS should put their excellent TNG 1:33 vs 16:9 demo online and let the fanbase vote. (16:9 would win by a landslide...).

[sep 19] TNG was photographed in such a boring fashion 16:9 can only help. But I can see both sides of the argument.

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Yup. They didn't create that featurette on the TNG season 1 for fun. It cost money to produce after all.
Maybe CBS Home Entertainment got it for free as repentance from this heretic sinner who twittered on September 18 and 19, 2011?

Sure, it would constitute quite some paradigm shift should CBS go for DS9 in 16:9. Suffice to say I'm glad I'm not involved in their decision making.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 11:41 PM   #259
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

IIRC, the problem is that for TOS the entire area of the camera negative was used and that's what we've seen on all previous video releases.
Yes and no. For TOS they didn't expose the entire negative like TNG did, rather, it was filmed hard-matted to Academy Aperture (1.37:1) and very, very slightly cropped to 1.33:1 on Blu-ray. Unlike TNG, there is no extra exposed information around that Academy area for TOS:

http://startrekhistory.com/article2.html
Old April 5 2014, 11:56 PM   #260
Jefferies
Captain

[sep 19] TNG was photographed in such a boring fashion 16:9 can only help.
This is such a ridiculous blanket statement it discredits anything this so called eyewitness has to say. If he finds TNG so boring why does he even bother watching it in the first place?

Edit:
Fine so the eyewitness is Robert Meyer Burnett but I seriously doubt he would stand by that quote if challenged on it. It's just a daft mindless tweet hardly evidence of anything.

Last edited by Jefferies; April 6 2014 at 12:07 AM.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 11:58 PM   #261
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Maybe CBS Home Entertainment got it for free as repentance from this heretic sinner who twittered on September 18 and 19, 2011?
You're taking a three-year-old tweet as gospel? He said that very very early into the TNG-HD production before episodes were fully constructed. Has he said anything subsequent to that in support for cropped versions?

The fanbase did not support a 16x9 version "by a landslide", by the way.
Old April 6 2014, 12:04 AM   #262
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Jefferies wrote: View Post
This is such a ridiculous blanket statement it discredits anything this so called eyewitness has to say. If he finds TNG so boring why does he even bother watching it in the first place?
The person being quoted is Robert Meyer Burnett. This was BEFORE he was hired and did any work on the project. When he was brought aboard and saw all the problems 16:9 would bring he, *gasp*, changed his mind based on new evidence, which is entirely rational, btw.
Old April 6 2014, 12:11 AM   #263
Jefferies
Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
The person being quoted is Robert Meyer Burnett. This was BEFORE he was hired and did any work on the project. When he was brought aboard and saw all the problems 16:9 would bring he, *gasp*, changed his mind based on new evidence, which is entirely rational, btw.
Shame there some who appear oblivious to this feat of the mind.
Old April 6 2014, 12:34 AM   #264
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

With all this talk of widescreen, I gotta go back to TOS-R - specifically, why exactly the hell they made its new effects in widescreen if they were never shown that way (except in Japan). Does anyone know why they did this?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 12:44 AM   #265
Jefferies
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
With all this talk of widescreen, I gotta go back to TOS-R - specifically, why exactly the hell they made its new effects in widescreen if they were never shown that way (except in Japan). Does anyone know why they did this?
Because it didn't cost any time or money and it was new footage where they could simply choose to make it so rather than chop up and compromise existing material?
Old April 6 2014, 01:55 AM   #266
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

They had to recreate all the effects from scratch on the computer. Rendering the TOS effects in 1920x1080 instead of 1440x1080 is just a matter of a few extra clicks. It was still composed for a 4x3 screen like the original with extra information on the sides for 16x9.
Old April 6 2014, 02:38 AM   #267
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Because it didn't cost any time or money and it was new footage where they could simply choose to make it so rather than chop up and compromise existing material?
But since there is no TOS live-action footage in widescreen, why make the effects that way?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 10:22 AM   #268
Jefferies
Captain

But since there is no TOS live-action footage in widescreen, why make the effects that way?
I suppose that in the case where a broadcaster would want to crop at least the new FX footage would look ok that way at no extra cost.
Old April 6 2014, 12:15 PM   #269
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I suppose that in the case where a broadcaster would want to crop at least the new FX footage would look ok that way at no extra cost.
Still doesn't make sense to me, since this fx footage would be where the black bars would normally be. Or did I get this completely wrong?
Old April 6 2014, 12:20 PM   #270
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I think its beyond anything a broadcaster would do - they'd have to reframe between the 16:9 and zoomed in 4:3, they just want some thing ready to play.

Paramount (or whoever they are this week) probably just created widescreen versions for international sales as well as the HD 4:3. We must have them in the UK too. Those you can tell have been cropped.