Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old December 14 2014, 10:48 PM   #1
SicOne
Commodore

Terry Farrell and DS9 Season 7

OK, I'm of the understanding that she wanted out of her contract to go do the "Becket" sitcom but was willing to return for guest appearances and begged the powers-that-be NOT to kill off Jadzia...but do we know why they killed her off anyway, rather than, say, promote her to a starship command during the Dominion War and bring her onto the show every once in a while?

I'm looking for a reason other than "Because they're a-holes"...
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2014, 11:37 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Terry Farrell and DS9 Season 7

I might be mistaken but I think I remember reading somewhere that the principals were contracted for six years with an option for a seventh.

As we don't know the details of the contract negotiations we can't say which side if any or both were being unreasonable.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2014, 11:56 PM   #3
Iamnotspock
Captain

ISTR reading that the producers felt simply that it would be an ideal opportunity to kill off a beloved character to illustrate the horrors of war, although if that were the case it would perhaps have made more sense for her to go out in battle rather than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Iamnotspock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2014, 12:04 AM   #4
urbandefault
Captain

I remember reading at the time that Farrell chose to not re-up for just one more year.

If there's evidence that something else was involved, I haven't heard about it. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. :/
Old December 15 2014, 12:09 AM   #5
Admiral Bear
Captain

Many years ago, I spent an afternoon in the company of Siddig at his fan club meet, and the subject of Terry Farrell and "what exactly happened" cropped up.

In the words of Siddig, "she negotiated herself out of a job". I think those were his exact words. He made it clear that Farrell wanted to do season 7, but that she wanted far more money than the rest of the main cast, money the studio wasn't prepared to pay her. So even though she was technically out of contract and free to leave for other work, she was effectively sacked.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2014, 12:17 AM   #6
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

The version of Farrell's departure I always heard at the time was she initially signed for 6 seasons. When the 7th Season was offered, she decided to stick with her original agreement despite others in the cast encouraging her to sign up again.
Old December 15 2014, 12:18 AM   #7
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Farrell was interviewed on the Delta Quadrant podcast last year. She made a few claims that stand out. First, she made some provisional arrangements to stay on the show with one producer, but that arrangement was turned down by another, because they were already set with the story to kill of Dax. Second, that she got the Becker offer after leaving DS9. She even says that the same producers were surprised to find her on the Paramount lot a few weeks after leaving DS9: they could not believe she could get another job so quickly.

Other sources report the problem was money: they weren't willing to up her contract as they had with the other actors.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2014, 12:47 AM   #8
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

I, too, recall reading that it was basically about the money.

Pretty much how she got fired from Becker, as well. She wanted everyone to get a raise (along with her), organized a cast strike, held up production with the supporting cast and even filed a lawsuit against Paramount (that's rarely a good idea, even if you're in the right...), and the producers made the example out of her by the end of the season when filming was done.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2014, 12:59 AM   #9
MacLeod
Admiral

generally speaking we all want a higher pay when it comes to work. Though there is a right way to go about seeking a pay rise and a wrong way. Alterantively you can always leave and find a higher paying job(not always depending on the wording of the your contract).
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I also remember reading somewhere that for the finale that either: she hadn't given permission for her likeness to be used in flashbacks, or they hadn't asked her if they could.

In some ways it would've been to see Dax's highlights throughout the years, but on the other hand by "What You Leave Behind" Ezri had grown more sure of herself and what she could do, so it was as much about her accomplishments and not the Symbionts.
Old December 15 2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
generally speaking we all want a higher pay when it comes to work. Though there is a right way to go about seeking a pay rise and a wrong way. Alterantively you can always leave and find a higher paying job(not always depending on the wording of the your contract).
What Farrell says is that the producers offered her much less of a raise than the other actors received beacuse her acting skills were not on the same level. To some extent, she perceives that the problem was a matter of respect.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Shapeshifter
Lieutenant

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
What Farrell says is that the producers offered her much less of a raise than the other actors received beacuse her acting skills were not on the same level. To some extent, she perceives that the problem was a matter of respect.
Well... I guess the producers didn't had much more to do with the character itself. For me, at least, Jadzia was always that one that "is around" but don't really matter. She never really had a bigger hole and the episodes were she had importance ware few...
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2014, 11:32 PM   #13
CorporalClegg
Admiral

SicOne wrote: View Post
but do we know why they killed her off anyway, rather than, say, promote her to a starship command during the Dominion War and bring her onto the show every once in a while?

I'm looking for a reason other than "Because they're a-holes"...
Probably because, conceptually, the character provided its own trap door.

It was a lot loss trouble than trying to bring in a completely new character for one season.
Old December 16 2014, 09:18 PM   #14
Kobayshi Maru
Captain

I always wondered why on TNG they used Denise Crosby several times, including made her reprise her role for the series finale in spite of killing her character off very soon in the series, while they completely erased Terry Farrell from the show to the point of absurdity. I mean, how believable is it that Worf of all people would flash on his stay on DS9 and not have a single thought for his wife? Not very!
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2014, 10:35 PM   #15
JD5000
Commander

I assume the writers wanted to keep Dax if they weren't going to have Jadzia. In a sense, the symbiont is as much of the main cast as anyone, although I think we only see it on-screen once. It's also possible that some of the Season 7 episode concepts were already in the works at the time of the break-up, and since quite a few of them are Dax-centric, maybe the writers thought it would be easier to tweak one character than entire episode ideas.

Personal preference would have been that Jadzia was reassigned, I would have rather had even more Dominion War-oriented episodes with flashy space battles, political intrigue and stuff, and fewer episodes centered on the characters and their feelings.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote