Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 12 2015, 01:28 AM   #1
Brie
Lieutenant Commander

View Brie's Twitter Profile
Favorite and Least Favorite Character

Who is your Favorite and least favorite character and why?

Favorite: Elim Garak, he is hands down my favorite because he is so mysterious, throughout the entire series you never know EVERYTHING about him. There are so many times when you think he has betrayed everyone, only to turn around and have done it all in a convoluted scheme to help the crew of DS9.

Least Favorite: Kai Winn, Not once did I ever enjoy her character. She was in my eyes the most evil of the characters because she used her religion and her power in the eyes of her followers to commit evil deeds. Not to mention her final act of crazy in the last few episodes of DS9. I hated everything about her.
Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2015, 04:29 AM   #2
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Favorite and Least Favorite Character

I have no least favorite character from DS9. Or if I do, it'd be some nobody who was barely in it. Even the characters who I hate I loved to hate. ...although I do wish Bareil was less boring.

Favorite is too hard for me to choose. So many great characters for different reasons.

Hey, my answer was pointless! (Blind DS9 fan fo' life.)
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2015, 05:32 AM   #3
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Back when it was on tv (and for a long while), O'Brien was my favorite. After rewatches, Worf became my favorite with Quark taking second.

My least favorite, Sisko 1.0 (pre-beard).
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2015, 06:58 AM   #4
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

DS9 is a series where I find it really hard to choose a character I didn't like. I started off disliking Bashir, but that was part of who he was--you either like him or you hate him, but over time I grew to love the good Doctor.

Looking back at the series as a whole, and if forced to choose, I'd have to saw my least favourite character would be Vedek Bareil. He was just a bit wishy-washy and didn't have much substance to him.

Favourite character of DS9 (and all Trek past, present and future) is Kira Nerys. Best example of character development and growth, strongly written and presented, plus Trek's best fighter, there will never be another like her.
Old March 12 2015, 08:24 AM   #5
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

My favorite regular character would be Constable Odo.

My least favorite regular character would be Counselor Ezri Dax.

My favorite recurring character would be General Martok.

My least favorite recurring character would be Ishka.

My favorite one shot character would be Sub Commander T'Rul from 'The Search, Parts One & Two'.

My least favorite one shot character would be Commander/Captain Erika Benteen from 'Homefront/Paradise Lost'.
Old March 12 2015, 08:57 AM   #6
SPCTRE

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Brie wrote: View Post
Least Favorite: Kai Winn, Not once did I ever enjoy her character. She was in my eyes the most evil of the characters because she used her religion and her power in the eyes of her followers to commit evil deeds. Not to mention her final act of crazy in the last few episodes of DS9. I hated everything about her.
Well, she was written to be pretty much a hated antagonist (and quite unambiguously so, unlike, say, Dukat), in that regard I feel she was a pretty successful character. Louise Fletcher did a great job with her I think.
Old March 12 2015, 04:18 PM   #7
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Well, she was written to be pretty much a hated antagonist (and quite unambiguously so, unlike, say, Dukat), in that regard I feel she was a pretty successful character. Louise Fletcher did a great job with her I think.
Winn was a great character: an interesting mix of opportunist, ideologue and patriot. And Louise Fletcher played her perfectly. Every time she called Kira "child" dripped with irony. Very successful.

On the other hand, the likeable Leeta lacked depth.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Orphalesion
Captain

Favorite: Toss up between Kira and Quark. Kira is one of the best written characters in Star Trek and superbly acted. Quark is also very well written and superbly acted.

Least Favorite: Jadzia Dax, just a pretty face without substance and wooden acting.
Old March 12 2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Brie
Lieutenant Commander

View Brie's Twitter Profile

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Winn was a great character: an interesting mix of opportunist, ideologue and patriot. And Louise Fletcher played her perfectly. Every time she called Kira "child" dripped with irony. Very successful.

On the other hand, the likeable Leeta lacked depth.
I agree she was very well played, but every time her character showed up it made my skin crawl. I hated seeing her, in that regards, I don't think the character could have been played better.
Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2015, 07:54 PM   #10
borgboy
Fleet Captain

My favorite character is Kira, but the show is full of really great characters. Even the recurring characters are complex and interesting. I don't really have a least favorite character.
As opposed to say Voyager. I love VOY and really like some of the characters _Janeway, Kes, Seven, Doctor - but I really dislike Tuvok and Neelix a lot, and Kim was dull. Nobody on DS9 was dull.
And yes, Winn is awesome. Louise Fletcher is amazing. I recommend checking out her role as the Grandmother in the 80s Flowers in the Attic. There's a lot of similarities between that role and Winn.
Old March 12 2015, 09:43 PM   #11
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

The more I watch the show, the more Odo stands out to me. His journey is complex and interesting, becoming the emissary of the Founders, being the quintessential outsider and judge of human conduct, and becoming someone capable of expressing emotions. More importantly,I recognize the importance of Rene Auberjonois to the ensemble. Every story about Garak, Quark, or Kira is made significantly better by Odo's presence, and I credit the actor more than the writing for that effect.

My least favorite, no surprise, is Jadzia Dax. There were good aspects to the part, and overall Farrell made positive contributions to the series and Trek in general. It took too long to find a character that suited her limited range, and then she left.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2015, 09:57 PM   #12
Dobian
Lieutenant

I'm a big Odo fan and I also found Garak fascinating. I'm also going to give a shout out to Quark, because Armin Shimerman did a terrific job at giving many layers to what could have been a one-dimensional character, and many of his performances are filled with nuances that really stand out.

I agree on Kai Winn, she was Nurse Ratched in space. So many times I wanted Sisko or Kira to just backhand her one when she launched into one of her standard smug, condescending, self-serving, passive-aggressive monologues. The character never changed, never evolved. She wasn't even a good evil character. Other evil characters would find her annoying. She simply existed to be the perpetual thorn in everyone's side.

Last edited by Dobian; March 13 2015 at 08:30 PM.
Dobian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2015, 10:03 PM   #13
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I think there's some really good characterizations with Winn. Her frustration over her lack of religious belief I found oddly touching. I think her character changes some over the years, she just gets more evil! Her throwing in her lot with Dakat and the Pah Wraiths by the end wasn't something she'd have done in the first season I don't think.

Odo is great, and his character arc is very deep and involving.

Quark also is very complex. The character could easily have been one note, but he could show a lot of more deep emotions of family and romantic love, friendship. He could do comedy like nobody else too.
Old March 12 2015, 10:32 PM   #14
Kilana2
Captain

We haven´t seen much of Shakaar Edon on-screen. He was close with Kira, especially during the occupation. Therefore he should have had more on-screen time, considering his relationship with Kira and how it came to pass.

Martok was great. He still appears in the Litverse, one of the best characters.

I must say Alexander wasn´t good on-screen at DS9. Much potential was given away.

Corat Damar! The most surprising change of character for me. I was pissed, when he killed Ziyal. But he became "hero of Cardassia" after all.
Old March 12 2015, 10:51 PM   #15
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Favorite character is hard to choose, it'd probably be between Odo, Quark and Kira.

Least favorite character in any of the show probably Moogie, least favorite character in the credits is Bashir just because he only had a brief period of being a good character between seasons 3 and 5.

Like Siddig said, 'There were three Bashirs'. I like the second one just fine. The first one was annoying and the third one was just a bad idea.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote