RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,672
Members: 24,198
Currently online: 635
Newest member: Bradmark

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old December 1 2013, 05:15 AM   #16
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Star Trek - Horizon (Enterprise Feature-Length Fan Film)

tommygdawg wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Another filmmaker I know here does video blogs like yours too. I find them quite entertaining and informative! Looking forward to Horizon!
Oh cool! Who is it? I'm a big fan of the style too! Thank you for the kind words, by the way Hopefully I can live up to Enterprise!
Always happy to share encouragement and enthusiasm for new projects and filmmakers.

By "here" I should have clarified I meant Los Angeles where he is an up and coming director. He largely posts his video blogs on his Facebook page.

Keep up the great work; and don't let the haters get you down - there will be plenty of them in the Star Trek world. There's drama, back-stabbing, name-calling, bragging, bullying, all the worst aspects you'd find in any high school but there are also tons of lovely, talented, fun, brilliant people too. You'll figure it out along the way.

That said, I love the positivity of your blog entries and the enthusiasm you bring to it; these videos are firmly in the realm of enthusiasm and so refreshingly not smacking of bragging. I for one am definitely looking forward to the release of Horizon and all the updates in between!
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 06:37 AM   #17
RCAM
Lieutenant

For discussion purposes, OP: I'm curious what drew you to Enterprise, in particular, over the other incarnations of Trek.

I loved the show, as well, and never understood why it was so maligned by a portion of the fan base. The sense of adventure and "are we in over our heads?" was great fun to me.
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 07:53 AM   #18
tommygdawg
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tommygdawg

tommygdawg wrote: View Post
Another filmmaker I know here does video blogs like yours too. I find them quite entertaining and informative! Looking forward to Horizon!
Oh cool! Who is it? I'm a big fan of the style too! Thank you for the kind words, by the way Hopefully I can live up to Enterprise!
Always happy to share encouragement and enthusiasm for new projects and filmmakers.

By "here" I should have clarified I meant Los Angeles where he is an up and coming director. He largely posts his video blogs on his Facebook page.

Keep up the great work; and don't let the haters get you down - there will be plenty of them in the Star Trek world. There's drama, back-stabbing, name-calling, bragging, bullying, all the worst aspects you'd find in any high school but there are also tons of lovely, talented, fun, brilliant people too. You'll figure it out along the way.

That said, I love the positivity of your blog entries and the enthusiasm you bring to it; these videos are firmly in the realm of enthusiasm and so refreshingly not smacking of bragging. I for one am definitely looking forward to the release of Horizon and all the updates in between!
It's always sad to me that there are often a lot of haters ESPECIALLY in Star Trek, given what the show is really about: people coming together and uniting in common good. I guess they don't realize that Star Trek has become what it is about it's core: a group effort, a huge sandbox that so many different people from all over the place have worked on.

I'm glad you're the vlogs. I definitely am not a fan of bragging. There's a fine line between confidence in your abilities at whatever you do and being a braggart, I'm definitely glad I'm not the latter :P I feel that I don't have much to brag about, anyway. I just love Star Trek, telling stories, and making movies. I get passionate about it and focus my all on doing whatever it is I'm doing.

Thanks again for the kind words and for maintaining such an interest in the film

RCAM wrote: View Post
For discussion purposes, OP: I'm curious what drew you to Enterprise, in particular, over the other incarnations of Trek.

I loved the show, as well, and never understood why it was so maligned by a portion of the fan base. The sense of adventure and "are we in over our heads?" was great fun to me.
Finally! A fellow Enterprise fan! My love of the show is a long story, so bear with me. There's a lot of personal subtext to what I love about Enterprise, so it's hard to explain it all.

I've always been a huge sci-fi and Star Trek fan. However, I grew up in an incredibly fundamentalist religious home, we didn't believe in much of science. The earth is 6,000 years old, evolution is a lie planted by scientists, etc. So all of these wonderful stories and ideas I would see in Star Trek would captivate me and give me something to dream about, but I knew I could never pursue an interest in them or science because they'd conflict with my religious beliefs.

I had sort-of buried my questions and doubts about religion for a long time until a year or two ago. I fell into a really bad depression, like nothing I had ever experienced before. I got to that state where I barely had the energy to stand. So, I started watching a lot of TV shows. Cue, Enterprise.

I'm not going to say Enterprise cured my depression, I still deal with it. But it did change my life. During the height of it, I could no longer bury the religious doubts, and when watching the show everything started to make some sense to me. I identified so closely with Captain Archer. What I really wanted to do was to explore the universe, appreciate the beauty of it all, and do whatever I could to help bring people together. What I love about Archer (and the whole crew) is the pioneering spirit, the absolute passion for exploring the universe. For Archer all of this was brand new! For the other captains it was ordinary, but for Archer, it was like discovering a whole new universe.

Enterprise, and my identifying with Captain Archer, gave me the passion to try something new, to explore. I guess technically now I'd be a Secular Humanist or an Atheist, and it's the best choice I've ever made in my life.

I hope that doesn't sound too cheesy. But I also have to say that there's just something about the storytelling on Enterprise that really captivated me. I loved it all, though season 3 is my favorite. I found the dynamic between the crew interesting and unique. I loved the design of the ship, both interior and exterior. I loved seeing the early years of Starfleet. I think overall it was just a quality show (and this is why it's my favorite Star Trek incarnation), and that combined with my personal feelings is what gave me the passion to basically dedicate my life for the time being to making this film.

Hope that wasn't too personal for ya! lol
tommygdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 08:49 AM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Sadly, I've seen a nasty streak amongst some fan filmmakers which I find quite repulsive. This isn't a competition, after all, and I strongly support participation by anyone who has experience to share, so welcome!
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 09:45 AM   #20
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Tommy... let me just say here (and I realize this is off topic) that most religions accept science. Roman Catholicism (contrary to what you may have heard) accepts science. Most forms of Protestantism, and Judaism accept science. I believe this is also true of Hinduism, Islam, and Buddhism, but while I know many do, I have no idea if it's most, just because I don't know enough about these faiths. Accepting evolution is not being an atheist. In a work called, "The Book of Power" published in Poland in the first decade of the 1600s, a Rabbi even takes the position that there are new animals and plants which come into existence all the time, and others which no longer exist, and that proves God is still acting in our world. I don't cite this for it's truth, but just to show that there are many views in addition to the one your were raised with and atheism. If Atheism makes you happy, though, be an atheist. I don't mean to dispute that if it makes you happy.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 06:00 PM   #21
tommygdawg
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maurice wrote: View Post
Sadly, I've seen a nasty streak amongst some fan filmmakers which I find quite repulsive. This isn't a competition, after all, and I strongly support participation by anyone who has experience to share, so welcome!
Thank you! I agree completely. We're all just playing in the Trek sandbox, as it were, and enjoying ourselves. There's no reason for anyone to be competitive or nasty.

Barbreader wrote: View Post
Tommy... let me just say here (and I realize this is off topic) that most religions accept science. Roman Catholicism (contrary to what you may have heard) accepts science. Most forms of Protestantism, and Judaism accept science. I believe this is also true of Hinduism, Islam, and Buddhism, but while I know many do, I have no idea if it's most, just because I don't know enough about these faiths. Accepting evolution is not being an atheist. In a work called, "The Book of Power" published in Poland in the first decade of the 1600s, a Rabbi even takes the position that there are new animals and plants which come into existence all the time, and others which no longer exist, and that proves God is still acting in our world. I don't cite this for it's truth, but just to show that there are many views in addition to the one your were raised with and atheism. If Atheism makes you happy, though, be an atheist. I don't mean to dispute that if it makes you happy.
Thanks for the thoughts, Barb! I didn't mean to imply that evolutionary science requires there to be no God. It's just that the science and a long period of questioning and introspection lead me to the conclusion that there probably is not a supernatural realm. And it indeed makes me happy
Old December 3 2013, 06:48 PM   #22
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

tommydawg, that's a lovely story. TOS and TNG heavily informed my worldview as I was growing up, so I can appreciate the effect Enterprise had when you needed it most.

And I'll echo Maurice's comments. My father has a maxim I try to live by, "Positive brings positive!" and it's refreshing, welcome and just quite nice to have that kind of attitude and perspective back in this forum again.
Old December 3 2013, 09:09 PM   #23
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Positive is, by and large, what most of us try to do on this forum. Some people are here to share their finished works. Others are here to share their knowledge and experience to help others.

EDIT: I looked at some of the other films on tommygdawg's YouTube page and it was nice to see how the work improves over time. For instance, early pieces exhibit a lot of breaking of "the line", which is no longer apparent in the more recent work.

Last edited by Maurice; December 3 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 02:25 AM   #24
RCAM
Lieutenant

Tommy, thanks for sharing your story! It's wonderful that it had such a positive impact on your life and that you're in a happier place. Art can be incredibly powerful.

John Steinbeck's "East of Eden" and the music of Bruce Springsteen forever changed the prism through which I view the world, so I can understand the transformational impact you described.

I agree that "Enterprise" was incredibly charming for its "explorer's heart." I remember Gene Siskel once commenting about one of the TOS films: "these characters like each other, and WE like THEM because of that." Similarly, Archer and Trip were so excited about the unknown that I couldn't help but share the feeling.

I thought the chemistry among the cast was terrific as well. Even characters that had limited screen time together, like say Trip and Hoshi, seemed so comfortable and engaged whenever they had a scene. It's a damn shame this fine show ended prematurely (I wish I could just erase part of Voyager's run and replace it with more Enterprise!).

Last edited by RCAM; December 4 2013 at 02:56 AM.
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 03:05 AM   #25
feek61
Commander

Hey Tommy,

Great effort and VERY impressive. I really admire the speed in which you work and I will be looking forward to your film. Best of luck to you (from another huge "Enterprise" fan).

Take care,
Old December 4 2013, 07:26 AM   #26
Loken
Lieutenant Commander

Spent some time on the phone with Tommy and had a great chat about how we can help each other. I have to say his first footage shot is very impressive, better than 95% of fan film stuff I have seen.

He has graciously added me to his production group on Facebook, and I added him to the Axanar group so we can work on each other's projects.
Loken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 07:56 AM   #27
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Working together in common cause. It's beautiful!
Old December 4 2013, 08:40 PM   #28
tommygdawg
Lieutenant Junior Grade

tommydawg, that's a lovely story. TOS and TNG heavily informed my worldview as I was growing up, so I can appreciate the effect Enterprise had when you needed it most.

And I'll echo Maurice's comments. My father has a maxim I try to live by, "Positive brings positive!" and it's refreshing, welcome and just quite nice to have that kind of attitude and perspective back in this forum again.
It's really amazing how many people Star Trek has touched and affected, so cool to hear that it helped you too! And I do agree that positivity and drive are two of the most important things to have.

Maurice wrote: View Post
Positive is, by and large, what most of us try to do on this forum. Some people are here to share their finished works. Others are here to share their knowledge and experience to help others.

EDIT: I looked at some of the other films on tommygdawg's YouTube page and it was nice to see how the work improves over time. For instance, early pieces exhibit a lot of breaking of "the line", which is no longer apparent in the more recent work.
Thanks, Maurice! I appreciate that you've watched some of my other films. Believe me, going back and watching those my self, silly mistakes like breaking the 180 really bother the heck out of me :P I don't claim to be the best thing since sliced bread, but one thing I will claim is my mistakes and that everything I do I try to make a learning experience so the next thing can be better.

RCAM wrote: View Post
Tommy, thanks for sharing your story! It's wonderful that it had such a positive impact on your life and that you're in a happier place. Art can be incredibly powerful.

John Steinbeck's "East of Eden" and the music of Bruce Springsteen forever changed the prism through which I view the world, so I can understand the transformational impact you described.

I agree that "Enterprise" was incredibly charming for its "explorer's heart." I remember Gene Siskel once commenting about one of the TOS films: "these characters like each other, and WE like THEM because of that." Similarly, Archer and Trip were so excited about the unknown that I couldn't help but share the feeling.

I thought the chemistry among the cast was terrific as well. Even characters that had limited screen time together, like say Trip and Hoshi, seemed so comfortable and engaged whenever they had a scene. It's a damn shame this fine show ended prematurely (I wish I could just erase part of Voyager's run and replace it with more Enterprise!).
It is amazing how art can do that for you. It's so cool to hear of people like yourself that had transformational experiences due to various types of art. The art can often give us ideals to strive for. "Some ideals are worth dieing for, aren't they Jean-Luc?" Sorry, just had to throw that in

I agree with you completely about Enterprise. I think that's partly what makes it so special. I think more-so than most of the other shows, I really felt like the crew of the NX-01 was a family. I think this was rather well displayed in the second Terra Prime episode when Phlox said something to the effect of "when I started this mission I was going to be away from my family, I never expected to make a new one."

I would prefer not to erase Voyager's run, rather I would like to keep it and just get more Enterprise too!

feek61 wrote: View Post
Hey Tommy,

Great effort and VERY impressive. I really admire the speed in which you work and I will be looking forward to your film. Best of luck to you (from another huge "Enterprise" fan).

Take care,
Thank you! I hope I can live up to Enterprise, especially for those fans like yourself who love the show so much

Loken wrote: View Post
Spent some time on the phone with Tommy and had a great chat about how we can help each other. I have to say his first footage shot is very impressive, better than 95% of fan film stuff I have seen.

He has graciously added me to his production group on Facebook, and I added him to the Axanar group so we can work on each other's projects.
Thanks again, Alec! We had a great conversation, and I can't wait for us to start working together so we can help each other tell great Star Trek stories.

Working together in common cause. It's beautiful!
Certainly is! Especially in the common cause of Star Trek films
Old December 5 2013, 07:07 AM   #29
tommygdawg
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey everyone, double posting because I have good news: the official Star Trek - Horizon website has launched! Please check it out and pass it along to your friends. Stay tuned for more soon

http://startrekhorizon.com/
Old December 5 2013, 09:58 AM   #30
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Looks neat ... but I'm having trouble loading it. All I get is the Romulan vulture on fire. Nothing else loads