Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 29 2013, 04:58 AM   #16
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile
Re: Does Picard have Admin Staff/Aides?

Well, but remember when Picard's living his "Lieutenant Picard" days in "Tapestry" he basically never sees the new captain and has all his concerns and everything routed to either his immediate superior (Geordi?) or to Riker/Troi who do the crew evals.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 05:49 AM   #17
rafterman1701
Commodore

I think the "open door" policy is just a storytelling shortcut. In world, I would think most officers would know that they follow the chain of command. You talk to your department head and your department head routes it to Riker or Data. I doubt many junior officers just go to the captain. Remember Lower Decks? Maybe Picard should have an assistant, though. But certainly the power structure is well known so no one will just go to Picard without permission. Even though I could walk upstairs to see my CEO, I wouldn't. I know to talk to my immediate boss.
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Nathan
Lieutenant

R-Man1701,

Yeah, I see your point about the CEO on the floor above you, but I still think if you had the cajones (or lapse in judgement LOL) to go upstairs, a secretary/aide, would have stopped you before you even go to his or her office...plus I think on some floors/rooms they are key coded so "Phil from Marketing" or "Nick in the mailroom" can't up to the CEO to bitch/visit with the boss.

Just saying, yeah, I see how TNG is a Paperless Society and the computer works wonders, but even with Riker & Data handling the stuff for the rest of the crew....even THEY need admin support.

Yep, it prolly boring in a book (or TV show) for that matter showing the admin/day-to-day functions....but I always groan when reading how the meet with the Federation Pres, how it seems Picard is never pre-briefed, or the behind the scenes work that goes on.

Heck, when a Admiral or General come to visit a base, a ship, or a work order, there is tons of pre-briefs, work being done, and even when the DVs (Distinguished Visitors) come, there are TONS of briefings that has to be done....unless Picard just reads everything by PADD and calls it a day!
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 10:45 AM   #19
Warp Rider
Lieutenant Commander

Like what some others have said, it's a shortcut for storytelling purposes. Though some of you may enjoy the realism being show with the day-to-day duties via aides in those books, to the average/ casual reader it would slow down the story a little too much. To the point of them wondering what was the point? Why are they telling us the same information over and over again? So in some ways it's a good thing and in others it is not.

Having a scene where some nobody tells their department head a plot point, then we follow this department head who goes to his boss to tell him the same thing. It would get really redundant and boring. Now I'm not trying to knock anyone down here, I'm just saying what it would feel like to the casual/ average person reading/ watching this book/ tv show if it were presented in this way.

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong and it wouldn't be exactly done this way... I don't know, but that's just how I'm seeing it.... at quarter to six in the AM here... >_> lol
Old November 29 2013, 09:07 PM   #20
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
I thought visitors had to "ring the bell" and Picard state "come" - people don't just walk in do they?
What happens if Picard just sits there or is having a crafty tommy tank? Do they just hang about outside?

Last edited by JoeZhang; November 29 2013 at 09:24 PM.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 09:28 PM   #21
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I thought visitors had to "ring the bell" and Picard state "come" - people don't just walk in do they?
What happens if Picard just sits there or is having a crafty tommy tank? Do they just hang about outside?
And if he's doing the latter does he shout out when he finishes and they here him say "Come in!".
Old November 29 2013, 09:57 PM   #22
Stephen!
Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Perhaps humanity had outgrown the need to "play with themselves" by the 24th century. Or even by the 22nd century. It would explain the sexual tension problems on Archer's Enterprise.

Last edited by Stephen!; November 29 2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: forgot the "th" on 24th
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 04:00 AM   #23
JD
Admiral

Maybe all of the stuff aides would do can simply done by the computer.
Old December 1 2013, 01:22 AM   #24
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

Wasn't that Troi's job? I mean, all she seemed to do was sit by his side looking pretty.
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 02:08 AM   #25
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Perhaps humanity had outgrown the need to "play with themselves" by the 24th century. Or even by the 22nd century. It would explain the sexual tension problems on Archer's Enterprise.
Might also explain Trip's foot fetish.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 06:29 PM   #26
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

I suspect that the real reason this is even an issue is because the creators of the show, and indeed all Trek, failed to show us a sufficiently advanced AI to fill the gap in lost support staff.

I think of it this way, a few years ago, the organization that I work for decided to get rid of most of the personal admins for management staff because in order to cut costs. The reasoning went that much of what the admins do is increasingly handled electronically anyway. Voice mails, emails, meeting requests, reports etc are all shared via our internal network. The idea being that everything was so organized that managers could deal with it themselves. Unfortunately it quickly became apparent that the sheer volume of electronic data was often too much for them to keep track of. Just prioritizing the info took an extraordinary amount of time. Thus the admins came back to act as gatekeepers and managers of al, of that information.

In Star Trek, admins would not be needed if the ship's AI were actually depicted as not only efficient but actually intelligent. Think of Romie on Andromeda or Selma on Time Trax. Either of them could sufficiently act as an aide since they easily interact with other people and were shown to be intelligent enough to make independent judgements. Unfortunately, going all the way back to TOS, the Enterprise computer has never been shown to be capable of making its own decisions. Users have to tell it what to do. In essences its not shown to be much smarter than a modern PC. It just has a better UI. In fact on Trek...they've created the problem that everything a computer is shown to be sufficiently intelligent to make independent choices, it makes the leap to full fledged life form and everyone justifiably freaks out. Thus the computers can never be allowed to reach full potential. The Doctor on Voyager is perfect example of a full fledged AI that should be operational in multiple capacities on Starfleet ships in support capacities for all personnel. Unfortunately, Voyager took what should have been a useful tool and made it a character in its own right and then said that it's a person and should not be limited to the tasks for which it was designed.

Given what has happened with Data, the exocomps, nanites, moriarity, The Doctor, and indeed the Enterprise itself...it's no wonder that Starfleet seems to keep the computers as dumb and of limited usefulness as possible.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote