RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,138
Posts: 5,401,818
Members: 24,748
Currently online: 470
Newest member: ChrisCrash

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 26 2013, 11:20 PM   #16
Jan
Commodore
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Location: ...is insane. --JMS
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

Reverend wrote: View Post
If WB are actually serious about this, then I suspect what they'll do is remaster one of the movies as a test case and see how it sells before even attempting to show proper.

WB *always* tests the waters. They've done it with everything from the first VHS tape. And they always seem surprised that there's a market. Sigh...


Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 11:24 PM   #17
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

Considering the relative size of the show's audience compared to Star Trek, testing the waters is only a wise business move. Hell, even a mainstream hit like The X-Files isn't getting the same treatment as Star Trek: The Next Generation (Fox is going back to the original negatives for the filmed elements, but using the SD effects and stock footage elements).

Also, the show's continued non-existence in syndication (as well as on Netflix), along with the ground falling out of the home video market, has to make this a more risky proposition than it might have been 10 years ago.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 11:57 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

Some of it might come down to competative pricing. i.e Don't price it out the market.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 12:00 AM   #19
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

Reverend wrote: View Post
^Actually, no, I don't think they could do it that way. Aside from the issue that getting a mishmash of amateurs to work together on a long term project is like herding cats, I'm pretty sure it'd be against union rules.
Which union? Does SFX have a union?
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 12:26 AM   #20
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

VFX workers aren't unionized, no, although that may change.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 01:39 AM   #21
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

^I'm genuinely surprised. Honestly I thought everything was unionised in that town. Still, there's no way in hell WB is ever going to hire a bunch of fans to do the VFX work. They're going to hire a reputable effects company. Someone they can have some assurance will actually deliver and have a viable legal recourse if the find themselves in breach of contract.

Jan wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
If WB are actually serious about this, then I suspect what they'll do is remaster one of the movies as a test case and see how it sells before even attempting to show proper.

WB *always* tests the waters. They've done it with everything from the first VHS tape. And they always seem surprised that there's a market. Sigh...


Jan
Harvey wrote: View Post
Considering the relative size of the show's audience compared to Star Trek, testing the waters is only a wise business move. Hell, even a mainstream hit like The X-Files isn't getting the same treatment as Star Trek: The Next Generation (Fox is going back to the original negatives for the filmed elements, but using the SD effects and stock footage elements).

Also, the show's continued non-existence in syndication (as well as on Netflix), along with the ground falling out of the home video market, has to make this a more risky proposition than it might have been 10 years ago.
I actually agree with both of you. WB should by now have learned that there is a market for B5, but I would understand their hesitance (though we are still talking theoretically here) in investing what'll probably end up being tens of millions of dollars upfront. Presumably the home video people are answerable to corporate higher ups who need to see a neat little line graph before they OK that kind of expenditure.

That said, if they ever want the show to be on Netflix in HD, then they'd still need to go through the same remastering process. Of course it's possible that the part of WB responsible for licencing online streaming may be separate from the home video people, which given WB's bonkers internal politics may actually end up hurting the project unless they come to some kind of mutually beneficial agreement.

Seriously now, who thought this was a good way to run an entertainment business? He must have been absolutely mental.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 01:44 AM   #22
Snaploud
Admiral
 
Snaploud's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

They have the original film, so that's not the issue. The problem is with the special effects. The original files were destroyed in a fire, so they would have to redo the effects from scratch (ala TNG). That's also the reason why the widescreen DVDs had to use a cut version (top and bottom bits removed) of the standard definition special effects shots (rather than use the original files that had a widescreen option, supposedly).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 01:49 AM   #23
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

Erm aren't most of the FX from TNG just the orginal's cleaned up from the orginal camera negatives. With maybe some touching up. As TNG largely used models whilst B5 was CGIthe elments of which have all but been lost?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 02:02 AM   #24
Snaploud
Admiral
 
Snaploud's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Erm aren't most of the FX from TNG just the orginal's cleaned up from the orginal camera negatives. With maybe some touching up. As TNG largely used models whilst B5 was CGIthe elments of which have all but been lost?
I haven't seen more than a couple episodes with the new FX, so I'll have to take your word for it. I thought it was all done with new CGI but based upon the original shots.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 02:09 AM   #25
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

Reverend wrote: View Post
^I'm genuinely surprised. Honestly I thought everything was unionised in that town.
There are plenty of film workers that don't have union representation, which is why many are paid very poorly.

Which, of course, is why Warner Bros. would never hire fans to do a project like this. Why not pay the professionals pennies to do the same job instead?
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 02:10 AM   #26
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

Snaploud wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Erm aren't most of the FX from TNG just the orginal's cleaned up from the orginal camera negatives. With maybe some touching up. As TNG largely used models whilst B5 was CGIthe elments of which have all but been lost?
I haven't seen more than a couple episodes with the new FX, so I'll have to take your word for it. I thought it was all done with new CGI but based upon the original shots.
No. Most of the work uses the original film elements.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 02:11 AM   #27
Snaploud
Admiral
 
Snaploud's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

Harvey wrote: View Post
Snaploud wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Erm aren't most of the FX from TNG just the orginal's cleaned up from the orginal camera negatives. With maybe some touching up. As TNG largely used models whilst B5 was CGIthe elments of which have all but been lost?
I haven't seen more than a couple episodes with the new FX, so I'll have to take your word for it. I thought it was all done with new CGI but based upon the original shots.
No. Most of the work uses the original film elements.
Ah, okay.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 02:52 AM   #28
NewHorizon
Captain
 
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Erm aren't most of the FX from TNG just the orginal's cleaned up from the orginal camera negatives. With maybe some touching up. As TNG largely used models whilst B5 was CGIthe elments of which have all but been lost?
TNG uses all of the original filmed elements when possible, recomposited with modern equipment...and it looks phenomenal. I still can't believe they're doing it. Babylon 5 FX would have to be recreated from scratch.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 03:33 AM   #29
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

They should do a big budget Babylon 5 reboot movie, and then remaster the original show.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 07:32 AM   #30
LeadHead
Director of Comedy
 
LeadHead's Avatar
 
Location: Flying above Never Land thanks to Robin Williams
Re: WB looking into Babylon 5 in HD?

While I'm quite unsure this could ever happen due to the special effects issues, I'm quite pleased the possibility exists. My question about the original effects is: how much does it matter that the originals are gone? I mean, CGI effects would be a whole different thing to upscale as opposed to filmed effects with models like on TNG, right?
__________________
Thanks to Nerys Myk for my awesome avatar!

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
babylon 5

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.