Trek Phaser Monitor Mate Bobble Prop
By: T'Bonz on Apr 28

Eve Faces Backlash For Jenner Comments

Frakes: Forget About Trek On TV

Worf Vinyl Bust Bank
By: T'Bonz on Apr 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 30 2015, 06:33 PM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome

I am content, and it is boring

I've recently come to realize that I am generally content with my life, and I have been content with my life for a while now. After college it seemed that every 6 months I was having some kind of major life change happen, whether it was starting a new job or moving into a new house or buying a new car. Something was always going on.

But now...

I've been at the same job for over 3 years, and I don't have any intentions of quitting. I've been living in the same house for 4 years (which is the longest I've ever lived anywhere since moving out of my parents house), and I have no intentions of moving. I'm still single, but I'm not lonely, so I'm not particularly motivated to do anything about that.

I just don't know what to do. I'm happy, and it's so dull! I realize this is a dumb thing to complain about, but I just turned 30 last week, and I feel like that should signify something.

Do you ever feel like you're stuck in a rut? What do you do?
Old April 30 2015, 06:41 PM   #2
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: I am content, and it is boring

Just turned 30? Hush up, whippersnapper. Three or four years is not a rut; it's three or four years where nothing bad has happened. If you're bored, find something to get excited about---are you dating anyone? Do you have hobbies or interests that you really care about?

Don't complain about being happy; that can change very quickly and very easily. If you feel unsatisfied, then find something to challenge yourself, or give you something to look forward to--a new relationship, a trip to somewhere you've never been before, learn some new skill, etc.
Old April 30 2015, 06:41 PM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

That's the problem, though. I can't think of anything new that I want to do!
Old April 30 2015, 07:31 PM   #4
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Good for you!

I had to turn fifty before finding anything that could make me happy!
Old April 30 2015, 07:36 PM   #5
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
That's the problem, though. I can't think of anything new that I want to do!
So try something you either never thought about doing before, or always thought you'd never want to do.
Old April 30 2015, 07:37 PM   #6
ManOnTheWave
Vice Admiral

Enjoy it while it lasts. If you're bored, take up a hobby.
Old April 30 2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

At least you aren't stuck in a rut and unhappy.
Old April 30 2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Robert D. Robot
Fleet Captain

^ Excellent Point! And as others have suggested, invite some safe, controlled uncertainty and exploration into your life. Robert Maxwell had a good suggestion others may not have come up with. You never know what you may find when you are searching for something unexpected [please no one bring up that this philosophy does not always work out well for Red Shirts!] ....
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2015, 08:50 PM   #9
Kor
Vice Admiral

Close your eyes, put your finger on a random place on a world map, and then make plans to visit there as soon as you can.

Kor
Old May 1 2015, 01:42 AM   #10
LordMudd
Commander

Ancient Chinese curse, which you might appreciate: May your life always be very interesting. I rather like that one myself, very creative. Personally I like boring. Haven't had much of it since I got married. Enjoy it while it lasts, you never know when someone might curse you.

CCC.
Old May 1 2015, 02:03 AM   #11
Finn
Vice Admiral

I'd love to be in the same residence for four years. I haven't lived in the same place for four years since I left home for college. That was nearly 17 years ago. The longest I've lived in one place is technically my current apartment- a bit over two years, but we are moving to a nicer apartment soon.

I'd say add something new to your routine
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2015, 03:19 AM   #12
Locutus of Bored
The Droid You're Looking For

Find a place where you can do volunteer work during your free time. You'll cure your boredom, find even greater personal fulfillment, and help to spread your sense of happiness and contentment to others in need.

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

http://www.idealist.org/

http://www.handsonnetwork.org/

http://www.habitat.org/where-we-buil...-states-canada

Helping to build someone a house is rewarding, good exercise, you learn a bunch of new skills that are good around your own house, and it can be used as work experience.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2015, 03:26 AM   #13
J. Allen
Equine Sophist Simulacrum

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I've recently come to realize that I am generally content with my life, and I have been content with my life for a while now. After college it seemed that every 6 months I was having some kind of major life change happen, whether it was starting a new job or moving into a new house or buying a new car. Something was always going on.

But now...

I've been at the same job for over 3 years, and I don't have any intentions of quitting. I've been living in the same house for 4 years (which is the longest I've ever lived anywhere since moving out of my parents house), and I have no intentions of moving. I'm still single, but I'm not lonely, so I'm not particularly motivated to do anything about that.

I just don't know what to do. I'm happy, and it's so dull! I realize this is a dumb thing to complain about, but I just turned 30 last week, and I feel like that should signify something.

Do you ever feel like you're stuck in a rut? What do you do?
Contentment and satisfaction are fleeting, and there's always enough pain and misery to go around. Consider yourself blessed, and accept that, making the most of it while you have it.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2015, 05:02 AM   #14
Use of Time
Commodore

There have been some good recommendations already, especially volunteer work. I've always found travel to be a great way to scratch that particular itch when you get in a rut. You usually end up coming home and being happy to be back in your hometown with new experiences.
Old May 1 2015, 06:31 AM   #15
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Go on Tinder.

Something to do... maybe someone too
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote