Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 26 2013, 05:25 AM   #16
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Family Guy character killed off (spoilers)

They killed the best character.

But $50 says that Stewie will bring him back to life by the season finale. Probably through cloning or time travel.
Old November 26 2013, 06:02 AM   #17
Kronos
Admiral

If this sticks...what a dumb move, kill off worthless characters like Lois, Chris or Meg if you need to kick the show into gear.
Old November 26 2013, 06:49 AM   #18
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
chardman wrote: View Post
I imagine Brian will be there next episode, as if nothing happened as in Lois' death a few years back.
Nope. He's not coming back.
Ummm... there's absolutely nothing in that link to support that statement. Time merely acknowledges the events of last night's episode, but offer nothing whatsoever to imply that future episodes won't simply reset the situation. And, as others have pointed out, we already know that Brian isn't long gone, as there are already synopsis out of several future episodes that feature Brian.
Old November 26 2013, 08:12 AM   #19
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^Unless that's a misdirection.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 04:22 PM   #20
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

I like his singing, would hate not to see that again. Still, it's a fictional character whose voice actor is still alive. Pure marketing hype, like the death of comic book Superman.

Why write funny when you can just take a dump.

Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 04:42 PM   #21
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Kronos wrote: View Post
If this sticks...what a dumb move, kill off worthless characters like Lois, Chris or Meg if you need to kick the show into gear.
The show's sputtering so much that I'm not sure killing a worthless character would make much of a change. That being said, there's an interesting quote recently from Seth McFarlane about how he expected people to be sick of the show by now and is disappointed that there are so many that don't want it canceled. Maybe he just wants to kill off those who have any interest in it. Although, unless the future episode titles are misdirection, I suspect Brian will be back.

That being said, I haven't watched the show in years and anything they do now won't diminish the show's quality when it actually had some quality, so I'm relatively indifferent to this whichever way they go.
Old November 26 2013, 04:57 PM   #22
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I liked Brian as a character, but I'm willing to give TPTB points for being willing to take a risk, even if it ultimately backfires.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 06:24 PM   #23
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

The riskiest episode IMO was arguably when Stewie and Brian spend the entire episode locked in a bank vault. THAT was ballsy.

The show ignores its own continuity as much as anything animated on Fox. I think in its second season Family Guy had an episode involving a Y2K apocalypse, which was not remedied by the end of the half hour; they even mention that next week it'd all be back to normal, and it was. No, Brian'll be back before we know it.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 06:30 PM   #24
RoJoHen
Awesome

Remember when South Park killed Kenny "for real?" Even he eventually returned.
Old November 26 2013, 06:47 PM   #25
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I imagine Brian will be there next episode, as if nothing happened as in Lois' death a few years back.
Nope. He's not coming back.
Ummm... there's absolutely nothing in that link to support that statement. Time merely acknowledges the events of last night's episode, but offer nothing whatsoever to imply that future episodes won't simply reset the situation. And, as others have pointed out, we already know that Brian isn't long gone, as there are already synopsis out of several future episodes that feature Brian.
You're right - I pasted the wrong link in. My bad.

He's dead, Jim.

Now, granted, they don't say specifically "Brian is dead and he's never coming back," but the implication is there as they already have in mind plans for his replacement. And while it's not impossible to have Brian be resurrected, that doesn't seem to be the direction the show is going in, at least according to the press the writers are giving in response to everyone's reaction. YMMV
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 07:07 PM   #26
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The press reaction to me is that he will come back, they are saying "No comment" so that is a "yes he will be back before the season ends".
Old November 26 2013, 07:13 PM   #27
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
The riskiest episode IMO was arguably when Stewie and Brian spend the entire episode locked in a bank vault. THAT was ballsy.

The show ignores its own continuity as much as anything animated on Fox. I think in its second season Family Guy had an episode involving a Y2K apocalypse, which was not remedied by the end of the half hour; they even mention that next week it'd all be back to normal, and it was. No, Brian'll be back before we know it.

Mark
I thought it was shown to be a dream, a la the old Dallas season (in fact, they had Patrick Duffy and Victoria Principal in a live-action sequence at the end.)

But yes, the show plays fast and loose with continuity. It's a comedy, not a serial drama.

Also, no way Brian stays dead. Without Brian, Stewie's pointless, and without Brian and Stewie, who's left? Meg and Chris aren't funny, neither is Lois, Peter's extremely hit and miss.

Then again, I rarely see this show anymore. I like the occasional experimental episodes (like the bank vault one) but in general, the show is lame and stale.
Old November 26 2013, 08:06 PM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I quit watching a few years ago as the show got more violent and gory.

No, I'm not a prude who detests violence and gore. It just isn't what I want from an animated family comedy.
Old November 26 2013, 08:17 PM   #29
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

This dog, who I do not like, has to one up Brian immediately and sleep with Lois successfully.

"Lois" is the lead in a new HBO comedy.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 08:27 PM   #30
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

There's nothing wrong with a show changing things up to redo the formula. Just, if you do that, you have to come up with a new formula which is better than the original one. The Family Guy writers are simply not capable of that, all they do is mix random pop culture references with dickishness and shock value.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote