RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 505
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old December 4 2013, 06:18 PM   #31
largo
Fleet Captain

Re: Non-Trek - A Present for Mom

hair over ears looks more natural.
Old December 4 2013, 09:45 PM   #32
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm probably going to stay with the ears mostly covered. Gotta say, I don't think I've paid this much attention to women's hair styles in my entire life.
Old December 4 2013, 10:41 PM   #33
Albertese
Commodore

I gotta say, I like the ears covered also. To my eye, having the ears revealed makes the hair look slightly more helmet-like. Also, as a fan of fantasy/sci-fi art, and as someone who has sketched numerous young ladies myself, I find that most hairstyles tend to cover the ears naturally anyway. Every time I see pics of elves (or Vulcans) the artists seem to go to pains to show the ears, and it usually strikes me as forced.

So, I vote covered ears.

--Alex

P.S. Sorry, Vektor, I posted this from my phone before your post went up, and I guess the magic of phone tech delayed actually getting it up for an hour. Ah well.

--AM

Last edited by Albertese; December 5 2013 at 07:53 AM.
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 09:10 AM   #34
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Latest:

Old December 8 2013, 09:45 AM   #35
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Looking fantastic man. Really well done and a cool design on the armor too. Watch out for the way you've lit the face though; at first glance in the zoomed out shot it almost looks like she has a 5-o'clock shadow.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 02:15 PM   #36
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Very nice work
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 06:32 PM   #37
sojourner
Admiral

Not sure how I missed this thread. That is some stunning work as usual.

Not being a religious person, it reminds me of the artwork from Magic the Gathering angel cards.
Old December 8 2013, 07:28 PM   #38
surak-toc
Commander

this is beautiful, its amazing
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:34 AM   #39
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Thanks for sticking with me, gang. I think I'm into the home stretch now. I still have one more "coat tail" to add and a fair amount of clean-up left to do, not to mention a TON of detail to do on the wings, but I think I finally got her hair figured out and I'd say the armor is close to final.

And... as much I love the texture and slight vignette effect of the texture overlay, I am sorely tempted to dispense with it altogether, especially since this is going to be printed on canvas. What do you all think? Keep it? Dump it? Something in-between?

Old December 11 2013, 10:50 AM   #40
Albertese
Commodore

Personally, i love the texture. I'd say keep it. The "dirt" of it (for me anyway) ties it to the devotional artwork of earlier centuries, which I like to have as a sort of anchor as the rest of the style is a fairly modern style. Lose the texture and you lose the connection. I dunno, there's just something pseudo-Victorian about the scratches and the rose silhouettes that really gives this image the punch it doesn't quite have without them...

--Alex
Old December 11 2013, 05:49 PM   #41
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I really like the texture too, but with the added texture of the canvas you might lose the fine details.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 07:29 PM   #42
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I plan to keep the texture overlay with the dirt and scratches and roses in the corners but I'm going to lower the opacity, possibly as low as 25%. I probably will not use the canvas texture, though; I'm concerned that it will either disappear when printed on actual canvas or that it might muddy the image or even create a visible moire pattern.

Stuff left to do:

1. Finish rendering her legs and hip armor.
2. Add the third "coat tail" from her left hip.
3. Smooth and blend the halo light around her head.
4. Make the skin tones a little less... florid? Oversaturated? Not sure exactly what's off but it needs some adjustment.
5. Make some final tweaks to her hairline and match her ponytail to her hair texture.
6. Finish rendering the sword, brighten the highlights, add the pommel, maybe add some etching and/or filigree to the blade.
7. Brighten the armor overall, add some very slight specular bloom to the highlights, etching/filigree as appropriate.
8. Finish rendering the wings.

If anyone has any other comments or suggestions, now's the time. I have to finish this and get it to the printer by Friday afternoon at the latest in order to get it back and have it framed in time for Christmas. Obviously I'm not going to have time for any major changes like a different pose or whatever, but I'm keenly interested in anything else I can reasonably do to improve it.

Thanks for looking.
Old December 12 2013, 04:31 AM   #43
sojourner
Admiral

Why not do both?
Old December 12 2013, 04:51 AM   #44
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I think splitting the difference is the right call there (though it does frame the subject very well as it is), but you might consider getting a small one printed as a test if there is time and it isn't going to set you back too much. It is always a hard call to make going from digital to printed when you only have one shot at it.

I really don't think you'll miss the canvas texture at all once it is printed.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 08:19 AM   #45
Albertese
Commodore

Oh yeah, regarding the canvas texture, I'd certainly lose that if it's gong to be printed on canvas. That would look weird. I always hate when there's a a fake texture competing with the same real texture.

--Alex