RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 808
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 25 2013, 05:24 AM   #76
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: Renumber The Doctors?

DWF wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
Does it? The regeneration was guided by the Sisters of Karn, but it was part of his regeneration cycle. They just allowed him to choose, rather than letting it be random. There's no hint that it's some kind of "free" regeneration, or one that "doesn't count". That's an idea for people who must have the Doctor count match up with the order in which they were introduced. It's not necessary from a narrative point of view.
Moffat isn't changing the numbering himself, he doesn't count Hurt's Dcotor as being the Doctor since he refuses to call himelf the Doctor.
... which he said in an interview given before the broadcast of the special. Moffat could just have been avoiding giving away the surprise. We won't really know the 'truth' until the series itself confirms or denies it either way (assuming that it does).

IMO whatever Moffat claimed in that interview, his script was far more explicit than that.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 05:39 AM   #77
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

However we might debate and go on and on, supporting our opinions, the simple truth of the matter is that it will stay the way it is now out of habit and convenience. I guarantee it. 9 will refer to Eccleston, 10 to Tennant, 11 to Smith 12 to Capaldi, the "War Doctor" to Hurt.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 05:41 AM   #78
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Lance wrote: View Post
IMO whatever Moffat claimed in that interview, his script was far more explicit than that.
As you said, he can change his mind at any time, but no, his interview was far more explicit, considering that it addressed the matter without any ambiguity, whereas the script didn't say anything whatsoever about numbering.
Old November 25 2013, 05:56 AM   #79
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ I do apologize, I keep inappropriately refering to 'the script' when I really mean 'the episode as broadcast'. I agree that his script certainly errs definitively on the side of the status quo in it's numbering of the Doctors. On the other hand, the episode itself seems to bum around the issue, and tries to imply every possibility without actually confirming any of them.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 07:28 AM   #80
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
However we might debate and go on and on, supporting our opinions, the simple truth of the matter is that it will stay the way it is now out of habit and convenience. I guarantee it. 9 will refer to Eccleston, 10 to Tennant, 11 to Smith 12 to Capaldi, the "War Doctor" to Hurt.

Sir Rhosis
I don't see why Capaldi can't be 13, without making Hurt 9 and bumping up 9-through-11.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 07:31 AM   #81
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I don't see why Capaldi can't be 13, without making Hurt 9 and bumping up 9-through-11.
He can be, but right now the only official statement we have is "we call Peter Capaldi the Twelfth Doctor"
Old November 25 2013, 04:39 PM   #82
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Moffat lies.
There were 4 original series Doctors in tDotD, and he said there were none.
Old November 25 2013, 04:43 PM   #83
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Moffat lies.
Yeah yeah, but here he's talking about an arbitrary decision. It could go either way and he's picked one over the other. There really isn't any room there for lies.
Old November 25 2013, 07:56 PM   #84
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Moffat lies.
No, 3 of them were Zygon replicas.
Old November 26 2013, 05:51 AM   #85
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

While I think the War Doctor has redeemed himself to be the Doctor, I don't think it's appropriate to renumber. For starters, I like that Tennant is Ten, it's easy to remember. Second, the prophesy is the Fall of the Eleventh on the fields of Tranzalore. I don't think that can change. Hurt's Doctor is Doctor 8 3/4 if he has to have a number, but he's just the one who skips numbers. I'd have no problem with Capaldi being 13 to indicate that he's accepted his incarnation, but I don't think it really matters overall.
Old November 26 2013, 06:09 AM   #86
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...s-matt-2847509

But on December 25, current theories among millions of fans will be exterminated once and for all when Matt says in a dramatic speech he is the 13th Doctor and adds: "I'm dying and there is nothing I can do about it."
To make more confusing, Matt Smith is now the 13th Doctor, thanks to the War Doctor and 10 regenerating into himself in 'Journey's End'...
BrEnDoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 10:31 AM   #87
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

From the review thread:
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Someone asked Gaiman a question...

Link
harryhadouken asked: Is the War Doctor now considered as the canonical Ninth Doctor?
I don’t really understand the question. I’m tempted to say something like, “No, the John Hurt War Doctor is just something that happened in THE NAME OF THE DOCTOR, THE NIGHT OF THE DOCTOR and THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR on television.”
If it happens on the TV, it’s canonical, unless it isn’t. (For example, no-one seems entirely sure whether we get to see pre-Hartnell regenerations during the mindbending battles of Brain of Morbius.)
We now know there was a regeneration between the Paul McGann Eighth Doctor and the Chris Ecclestone Ninth Doctor, one whom the Doctor himself has only just begun to regard as being The Doctor (as opposed to being something else).
If you mean, “Do we now all have to agree to renumber all the Doctors?”, I think the main purpose of numbering things is to communicate, and we all know who we mean when we say Doctors NIne, Ten or Eleven. If anyone corrects you and says “You mean TWELFTH!” when you say “Matt Smith was the eleventh Doctor” then that person is being irritatingly pedantic and should be pitied, in a nice way and with a gentle friendly, not-patronising sort of love, because they will have long hard lives ahead of them.
I think he's spot on..
Gaiman raises a very good point (in the manner of communication).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 10:54 AM   #88
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Gaiman raises a very good point (in the manner of communication).
Hey, I'm the one who raised that point in this very thread ("There's an official version, if people are keen to communicate with other people that's the one they're going to use") and no one paid attention to me because I'm not an award-winning author!
Old November 26 2013, 04:58 PM   #89
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

BrEnDoN wrote: View Post
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...s-matt-2847509

But on December 25, current theories among millions of fans will be exterminated once and for all when Matt says in a dramatic speech he is the 13th Doctor and adds: "I'm dying and there is nothing I can do about it."
To make more confusing, Matt Smith is now the 13th Doctor, thanks to the War Doctor and 10 regenerating into himself in 'Journey's End'...
Dramatically, I think it makes sense for the episode. It explains why Matt Smith would die at Tranzelore. However, considering they just name-dropped the Valeyard two episodes ago, I'm not sure where he fits in. Unless the Metacrisis Doctor is the Valeyard.
Old November 26 2013, 05:05 PM   #90
Pavonis
Commodore

Wasn't the Silents' (or is it the Silence?) purpose to prevent the Doctor from reaching Trenzalore? To prevent a future that was infinitely more terrifying, as Maldorum put it? I can only imagine that the Twelfth Doctor is infinitely more terrifying to the Silence, especially if he's drive to restore Gallifrey. But, rather than keeping the Eleventh Doctor from reaching Trenzalore, what if they're there to help him win a battle and not die?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote