Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 24 2013, 05:11 PM   #46
AllStarEntprise
Captain

Re: Renumber The Doctors?

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
They are perfectly numbered in base-11 with the extra between 8 and 9 instead of after 9.

1 - Hartnell
2 - Troughton
3 - Pertwee
4 - Baker
5 - Davison
6 - Baker
7 - McCoy
8 - McGann
Ɛ - Hurt
9 - Eccleston
10 - Tennant
11 - Smith
12 - Capaldi

I can't wait to see the 1Ɛth Doctor.
Nope, in base 11, that would be:

1 - Hartnell
2 - Troughton
3 - Pertwee
4 - Baker
5 - Davison
6 - Baker
7 - McCoy
8 - McGann
9 - Hurt
a - Eccleston
10 - Tennant
11 - Smith
12 - Capaldi

So Eccleston is the "a" Doctor.
That wouldn't work because Eccleston is officially apart of The Doctor Line. He regenerated from Hurt. Tentoo and The Dream Lord would be off shoot Doctor's.

My list would be of incarnations of the timelord named The Doctor is

1. Hartnell-First
2. Troughton-Second
3. Pertwee-Third
4. T. Baker-Fourth
5. Davison-Fifth
6. C. Baker-Sixth
7. McCoy-Seventh
8. McGann- Eighth
9. Hurt-War
10. Eccleston-Ninth
11. Tennant-Tenth
11.5. Tennant-Tentoo (since there was a regeneration involved and Moffat says it counted)
12. Smith-Eleventh
13a. Jayston-Valeyard (recognized by The Master as The Doctor. An amalgamation of the darkest side of the Doctor created between his twelfth and final incarnation.)
13. Capaldi- Twelth
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 05:22 PM   #47
Count Zero
Guess who's back

To make communication easier I think it's best to refer to the Doctor as played by John Hurt as the War Doctor or by the actor's name and keep the numbering we've been accustomed to for the rest. If we started renumbering, you'd always have to know whether something was written before or after "The Day of the Doctor" in order to avoid confusion.

It's quite possible, though, that Capaldi would think of himself as the 13th Doctor.
Old November 24 2013, 05:36 PM   #48
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Nope, in base 11, that would be:

So Eccleston is the "a" Doctor.
I don't believe in classical post-9 digiting. It's all evil Zygon propaganda. I think it is not true and firmly believe in alternative digits.
Old November 24 2013, 06:05 PM   #49
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Lance wrote: View Post
Totally agreed. If there are now 13 official Doctors, and like I say that seems to be the thematic thrust of the story, and if it is the intention then I welcome it with open arms.
It doesn't seem to be the intention, no:
Moffat wrote:
"In the script to The Day of the Doctor, Matt’s Doctor was called the Eleventh, and David’s was called the Tenth, so the numbering stays exactly the same – and we call Peter Capaldi the Twelfth Doctor."
Source.
Old November 24 2013, 06:29 PM   #50
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ Hmm, curious. So why isn't that what is (seemingly) presented on screen? If Moffat had no intention of opening this can of worms, why isn't it stated more overtly that this is not the case, when nearly everything on screen seems to say it is so?

My bet is Moffat is covering his ass for contractural reasons. He knows what a shitstorm would brew up if he suddenly declared that everything we previously knew about the series is now null and void. For one thing, there's loads of merchandise that carries specific branding ('The Ninth Doctor', 'The Tenth Doctor', etc) which would be invalidated, no doubt pissing off loads of consumers and marketing types alike. Am I right in thinking the recent Blu Ray boxset, for example, proudly states that it features Doctors 9, 10 and 11?
So he's cooked up this BS explanation for 'official' reasons, which all the same runs contrary to much of what is presented on-screen.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 06:29 PM   #51
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

13 is going to call himself "The Last Doctor" just like Hartnel called himself the Definitive Doctor.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 06:34 PM   #52
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Lance wrote: View Post
^ Hmm, curious. So why isn't that what is (seemingly) presented on screen? If Moffat had no intention of opening this can of worms, why isn't it stated more overtly that this is not the case, when nearly everything on screen seems to say it is so?

My bet is Moffat is covering his ass for contractural reasons. He knows what a shitstorm would brew up if he suddenly declared that everything we previously knew about the series is now null and void. For one thing, there's loads of merchandise that carries specific branding ('The Ninth Doctor', 'The Tenth Doctor', etc) which would be invalidated, no doubt pissing off loads of consumers and marketing types alike. Am I right in thinking the recent Blu Ray boxset, for example, proudly states that it features Doctors 9, 10 and 11?
So he's cooked up this BS explanation for 'official' reasons, which all the same runs contrary to much of what is presented on-screen.
Or maybe, out of two possible solutions, he picked the simplest and the less confusing?
Old November 24 2013, 06:39 PM   #53
Lance
Fleet Captain

It didn't work. I'm still confused.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 06:55 PM   #54
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

captain crow wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
Granted we never see who Hurt regenerates into - we assume Eccleston -
Actually we do see him regenerate into Eccleston.

For those who can't handle the fact that Hurt IS the 9th Doctor just count Hartnell-McGann in incarnation order, skip Hurt, and use regeneration order (which is one number lower) for Eccleston onward.
Its also heavily implied by the joke about the ears.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 07:56 PM   #55
davejames
Vice Admiral

The eyes are definitely younger, but I'm still having a hard time actually seeing Eccleston in there.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 08:16 PM   #56
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

As a comparison the "in between" regeneration shot from Eccleston to Tennant.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 08:19 PM   #57
Saul
Rear Admiral

Actually thought it was Mcgann again. Leaving it open for him to come back.
Old November 24 2013, 08:47 PM   #58
Pavonis
Commodore

Saul wrote: View Post
Really? You thought he might un-regenerate? Isn't there enough room for McGann to come back without having the War Doctor unregenerate?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 08:50 PM   #59
Saul
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
Really? You thought he might un-regenerate? Isn't there enough room for McGann to come back without having the War Doctor unregenerate?
Quite right there is. I'm just pointing out that the regeneration looked more like it was going back to Mcgann to me. Didn't look enough like Eccleston. Think it was the hair that made me think Mcgann.
Old November 24 2013, 09:45 PM   #60
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Ethros wrote: View Post
Anyone else that should have gone on for a second or so longer. I get that Ecclestone wasn't part of it, but on first viewing you couldn't really tell at all he was regenerating into Ecclestone. I had to rewind it a few times to see the *very brief* details. They could have easily added some more in with CGI
It's a safe bet that they didn't linger on that shot for very long because they were trying to hide the fact they morphing Hurt with a publicity photo of Eccelston that didn't quite line up (mainly the nose and mouth) properly.
I'm guessing it was either this one

or a very similar one from the same photo shoot.

Fun fact: Eccelston is currently the only actor to not film either the transition into or out of his Doctor. Hurt to Eccleston uses a publicity photo and Eccleston to Tennant is actually just Tennant.